Thinking about getting new shocks

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
Never was a fan of Ranchos. Never was a fan of the Yellow Bilsteins either. Now the zinc Bilstein 5100s are awesome...as long as you have the right shock for your application. A lot of dealers will sell just a generic shock that will certainly fit but not necessarily be the correct valving for your application. Bilstein 5100s when set up right ride incredible both on and off road. Another option if you want to spend some money is to go with Fox 2.0 reservoirs...excellent ride when set up properly and won't fade when being abused on rough roads.

Either way you will do yourself a favor by calling Nick at NorCal truck. I have sourced multiple sets of shocks from him and they are all his personal valving etc....great customer service, great pricing and you will get the proper setup for your application not just some off the shelf shit that may or may not be set up for your truck.

rms2012

Dec 7, 2011
Phoenix
Rancho has the 9000XL's on sale for $330 at some dealers.

And . . . there is a $100 debit card rebate on them thru June 30th.

That nets out to $230 for 4 new shocks.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
Never was a fan of Ranchos. Never was a fan of the Yellow Bilsteins either. Now the zinc Bilstein 5100s are awesome...as long as you have the right shock for your application. A lot of dealers will sell just a generic shock that will certainly fit but not necessarily be the correct valving for your application. Bilstein 5100s when set up right ride incredible both on and off road. Another option if you want to spend some money is to go with Fox 2.0 reservoirs...excellent ride when set up properly and won't fade when being abused on rough roads.

Either way you will do yourself a favor by calling Nick at NorCal truck. I have sourced multiple sets of shocks from him and they are all his personal valving etc....great customer service, great pricing and you will get the proper setup for your application not just some off the shelf shit that may or may not be set up for your truck.

I tried several times today to look at the Norcal website but it wouldn't open. I was going to ask what they suggested. I'll try later today.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
I tried several times today to look at the Norcal website but it wouldn't open. I was going to ask what they suggested. I'll try later today.

Yeah they are in the middle of updating their site. Best bet is to call them. Nick is the boss over there but is a very busy guy so you might not get ahold of him. The guy most likely to answer the phone is Burt and he is very knowledgeable as well. Either of those guys will hook you up with what you need.:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
FYI guys, you will probably never get nick on the phone now. hes not answering anymore nor doing his "consulting". his crew under him though will set you up right.

rms2012

Dec 7, 2011
Phoenix
I have the blue and yellow Bilsteins. I changed to them shortly after getting my truck mostly because people here have raved about them. I've never really liked the ride. The roads around here are pretty rough and the ride with the Bilsteins is causing lots of rattles and my passenger seat is now rattling pretty bad. Also I've noticed the rubber bushings have split too.

How do the Rancho 5000's ride compared to the Bilsteins? Maybe the Monroe Reflex shocks.

I have the Sulastic shackles and they helped some. I tow a 14k 5th wheel tow hauler occasionally.

Any opinions welcomed.

Ed,

Call Lisa at Bilstein Warranty. Her number is (858) 386-5951 in Poway, north of San Diego. She will need the serial number, stamped on the body of either the yellow, blue or grey 5100 shock, starting with F4.

They went from a rubber bushing to the new poly-butyl bushing, lasting much longer. She told me that there have been very few warranty claims from the Southwest as the harsh weather was the problem with the natural rubber. So far, no complaints on the new synthetic material.

She sends them out U.P.S. & will only need your name & address to receive 'em at no charge!

I spoke to her 3 months ago and received the new bushings in two days!

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
Will the stock ride height rear 9000XL p/n RS999274 work with sulastic shackles and 2" drop shackles? I found a good price but want to make sure I order the correct p/n.

Talked to Norcal and they sell Bilsteins and recommended 5125's and don't recommend the 9000XL's. I've read a lot of good things about the 9000's so I think I try them.

js05sierrahd

May 25, 2010
Highland Lakes, NJ
I don't think they are a forum sponsor but $$ is money... Check out RockAuto I just got 4 Rancho 9000s for $87.79 each, about $350 plus $30 shipping & $100 debit from rancho, So your eventually looking at under $300.
Enter discount code: 95131097556914 in the: "How did you hear about us" box when you check out.
Code valid till July 15 take additional 5% off