Think Anyone Survived??

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
airbags wouldnt have helped at all because it was an 80k lb tractor trailer versus a small van. :rolleyes:

The key is preventing the loss of control/accident in the first place. ESC isnt bullshit technology, pull your head out of the sand. It has saved thousands of lives, especially in top-heavy vans and SUV's. Now that it is mandated, and not as "exclusive", the technology is cheap. Did the 2008-2009 duramax's (when they first made ESC standard on them) increase in price more than the 2007-2008's (when no big changes were made) increased in price? NO.

These are big heavy trucks that dont handle like a sports car, and DONT have as strong a roof structure as they should have, given their weight. Anything to lower the odds of a rollover is a plus in my book.

Everyone is so ignorant/stubborn and thinks they're mario andretti (or that the laws of physics dont apply to them) and they dont need any technology to help keep them safe on the road until they actually wreck their own truck because they swerved to avoid some unexpected obstacle in the road. Its a little annoying.

Last edited:

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
I agree Ben. Its a good thing to have IMO. 99.9% of the time you don't even realize that its there and working anyway. And GM at least gives you the option on the trucks to disable it if you want to do stupid stuff. It can't be disabled on many vehicles.

My dad can go places in 2wd in his 07.5 half ton with 20" wheels and highway tires that I cant go without 4wd even with at tires just because of the traction control on his truck. So it has its places IMO. And he can disable/deactivate it and whip donuts when he wants too.

Sent from my old skool Droid

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
You act as if.the technology is free and not applied to everything, of course they didn't just pile onto the cost of a truck just like they didn't pile all the increased costs of the lml's emissions to the diesel price tag...duh

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I also think he caught a slush patch. I've seen more than a few cars that had this happen to them but they were lucky because there was no oncoming traffic when it happened.

Nick

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
This is the UPS guy in me, but it looks to me that speed and visibility had more to do with it than anything. Id bet that semi in the slow lane kicked up a spray that blinded the SUV driver temporarily, causing him to swerve a bit, and on that icy, snowy road, thats all it took. If he hit some heavier snow in the middle of his lane (which I cant see in that vid but makes sense in the left lane) then that made it even worse.

ESC or not, there arent too many people who could've recovered from that skid in time to not cross over into oncoming traffic. Most, if not all, of us would be just as dead as those people. Really a crying shame what happened.

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
I agree that speed had something to do with it. I see sooooooo many people driving waaaaay to fast on snowy, icy highways. I don't think any amount of technology can make up for people that don't use common sense. It was a terrible thing to happen but might have been able to be prevented.

nmeyer414

Jan 30, 2011
currently no where
this may sound cruel, but that was the funniest shit i have seen in a while. i feel sorry for the person driving the smaller truck, but it just goes to show that you have to keep control of your vehicle at all times!

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
this may sound cruel, but that was the funniest shit i have seen in a while. i feel sorry for the person driving the smaller truck, but it just goes to show that you have to keep control of your vehicle at all times!

Yeah, that is alittle cruel.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

MrUPS

Mar 18, 2009
Northwest Pa
There is nothing funny about that. Dude u have know idea how fast they were going or what actually happened. You weren't there. Its real easy to sit here in our chair with our family alive and well and say; they should have this or they should have that. It looks like people died in that crash. There is never anything funny about that.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
There is nothing funny about that. Dude u have know idea how fast they were going or what actually happened. You weren't there. Its real easy to sit here in our chair with our family alive and well and say; they should have this or they should have that. It looks like people died in that crash. There is never anything funny about that.

agreed