LB7: The Rebuild, Ch.2 -- Building slowly

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
Looks good Tom! You going to be around on the 10th or 11th so I can drop by and check everything out. Maybe help put her back in the truck if shes ready.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Until I get those fuel lines, I couldnt really do anything except install the rear cover and some odds and ends today. So I did a little "mocking up" for the fun of it.
I have to tell ya, Rick's manifolds and uppipes are exceptionally nice parts. They fit perfectly and,from the looks of things, I wont have to portmatch the pedistal to the pipes. They should work nicely. :)
I did have to squish my homemade downpipe into an oval to get it past the uppipe bellows, like I figured. Im not 100% sure it'll work after all, as the outlet angle isnt quite right. Eh, if it doesnt work, it doesnt work.

Also, I want to give Ben and Kyle a big THANKS for the use of the main seal tools. Got both seals installed, so I'll get the tools mailed back to you Tuesday.

Attachments

• 100_5732.jpg
    100_5732.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 734
  • 100_5733.jpg
    100_5733.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 100_5734.jpg
    100_5734.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
nice job Tom! Downpipe looks good. If you have to squish it more, dont worry about it, from a technical standpoint its not really going to affect flow by any noticible amount. I would paint it with some high temp spray paint, then wrap it in fiberglass heat-wrap, and then spray paint it again over the heat wrap. Spray painting the heatwrap helps it hold together a little better from what I have found.

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Motor is done! :thumb::happy2::nanawrench::nanawrench::happy2: :thumb:

Downpipe should work. It clears the uppipes better than I thought. I'll have to have my fab shop cut it and change the outlet angle to get it closer to the starter area.
Ben, even squished, its large enough that I can fit my hand up inside it.....you think it'll flow better than the stocker? :rofl:

Notice anything new? I recieved a surprise UPS package today, courtesy of Merchant Automotive! Thanks Eric!

Attachments

• 100_5743.JPG
    100_5743.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_5744.JPG
    100_5744.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_5745.JPG
    100_5745.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 100_5746.JPG
    100_5746.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Congrats Tom!

Could some please enlighten me on Erica motor mounts? Are they rigid or good for dd?

I havnt had any issues yetwithmyboltedbut if I do iwouldliketo knowwhat options I have

Tom when you dropping the motor in? And as far as the down pipecouldu of not just moved it out from the turbo a lil more to clear ricks pipes? Or am I just hind sighting u?:eek:

either way congrats!

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Simon, Merchant's mounts use two horizontal trapped poly bushings where the rubber goes on the OEM mounts. They are also made of thicker steel than the OEM. He's ran them on his shop truck for a while, and also beta'd them on other trucks, and he said the only time you notice them is on shut-down, where you get a bit more shake. Otherwise, no discernable diff from OEM mounts. If you go to his site, he has pics.
Sorry about the shameless plug, but both his and Rick's parts are really nice pieces. Heck, I only asked him to just drop an old drivers side mount in the box with the seals and such....and I got these instead. Boy was I surprised.

As for the downpipe, it clears the uppipes no problem now. When I was fabbing it up last year, I had to "guess" where the outlet should go, as I didnt have a mocked-up engine to fit it to. I really cant complain that its only an inch or so off. It wont take long to fix. If that fails, theres always Rick's LB7 downpipe....

We have a graduation party tomorrow afternoon and I promised my daughter we'd go see ToyStory3 this weekend. I also have a little prep work to do underhood (cleaning and paint) and I also have to go make my pre-lube setup. The motor wont get installed this weekend unless I pull a Trent-like all nighter which at my age just doesnt happen any more. LOL

Last edited:

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
Tom does this mean I should come over with a case or three of rockstars or monsters Saturday night to get this motor in there? Your truck look like something I'd upgrade to once the motors in :angel:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I got a couple Lansing area jobs coming up before the end of the month. flexible on dates as I havent tracked down the guy 2nd job, one of your ups drivers buddies. Id be happy to stop by and lend a hand or bring some fluids if it works out

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Could some please enlighten me on Erica motor mounts? Are they rigid or good for dd?

not that you care about my opinion, but I have personal experience with these mounts.

HeepJeep and I installed a set on his truck a few weeks ago. They are very nice pieces and work perfectly. The motor moves maybe 1/2-1/3 as much as with stock motor mounts. The only time you really notice them is at start and shutdown. Other than that, daily driving they are awesome. Slight resonance around 2000-2100rpm but other than that they feel the same as stock.

If you took another dmax guy for a ride and didnt tell them about the motor mounts I highly highly doubt they would comment and say "hey how come yours seems to vibrate/make more noise than mine???". If you told them about them and they knew what to listen for they would probably say "yeah I can tell, slightly".

Nothing another notch up on the radio volume control wont fix/make dissapear. :)

ben

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Pull an al nighter Tom you can start drinking rockstars an before you know it its done if you Were a few hours closer I'd drive down an get that thing stuffed in an running :thumb:

Good idea but I absolutely hate energy drinks. They taste nasty.

Im not in any hurry to get the truck done. Hurrying is what causes mistakes.

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Mechanic at work let me borrow his 3/4" torque wrench, so Balancer is on.
Got the entire family out to help get the flexplate on. Roni pushed the wedge against the engine, Kole held the opposite side, Hannah read the angle gauge, and I did the ooomphing....holy shit is that second 60* a SOB. :rofl:

For some reason, Rick's downpipe didnt fit with his uppipes. It hits the P/S uppipe with about 1/2" gap still to the turbo. Weird. I'll have to call him and ask what I did wrong. But for right now, the stocker is back on.

Still targeting Sunday to fire it up. :thumb:

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Wife just wants the truck moved out of the driveway. She'll be more relieved that anything.

(But this is assuming the engine runs without issue....)