The Official 2009 Lotsofmiles Travels Thread

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Alright, so I'm at work bored right now so I thought I'd start this thread.

I bought my LBZ 5/1/7 to run trailers part time with. Kind of fill in the open spots in the schedule. And it got me an excuse to buy another Dmax.

In the first year I owned it I made it to 42 of the 50 states and 4 of Canada's Providences.

Since we aren't too far into the year and its been a slow start I start a record here of everywhere I've been.

And if anyone needs a papertrail or something, you know prove to the wife you weren't at the bar last weekend you were really 1000 miles away on the Chicago toll road for the evening, let me know.

Each trip most always starts at home in MI, then down to Elkhart county IN, then to the destination

Starting the year with about 140,000 miles on the odometer.

So far this year:

Jan 5 - Detroit to Goshen 30ish foot 5th wheel(back to factory for repairs)
then
Montgomey AL - 27ft trailer

Feb 2 - Springfield, MO - 30 ft 5th wheel

Feb 4 - Arkansaw, WI - 31ft trailer

Feb 11 - Boston, MA 30 ft 6500lb trailer

can't remember the first few trailers and weights, so i'll fill those in later

Last edited:

Isuzupower

I told u it wouldnt float
Sep 14, 2008
Decatur, IN
I've been thinking about hauling trailers since i got laid off but i'm not sure how to get started. do you have any advice?

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I think there is a pic in the garage. or at dp same user name.

right now is hiring season. if you are thinking about it, better make some calls fast. I signed on with Quality Drive Away. do a web search you'll find their site and links to hiring. There is also Classic, Star, Hoosier, USRV just to name a few to get you started. If you do it and go with Quality let me know, give you whatever pointers I can and I might get a referal $$$$.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
oh really cool. I'm guessing that i'll need to get dot numbers. and is it good money?

No, you dont need your own numbers. You run under their DOT numbers.

For the money, it pays. For me, its perfect, fill in the open spots in my schedule, flexible scheduling, pays for the truck some toys for the truck, and a couple $$ left for me. I personally wouldnt want to do it as my only job or full time, but I know there are plenty of guys that do.

03GreenLB7

R-O-C-K in the U.S.A.
Jan 16, 2009
Pittsburgh
ive been thinking of doing this, esp during the winter, getting laid off sucks, but i do like collecting unemployment (b4 i get flipped out on, my dad owns the company, and has to pay into unemployment every year. he says he rather see me get the money then it get wasted on other ppl.) soo i wouldnt mind doing this and prob making more money. would love to find someone that would pay under the table too haha

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
25 Feb Toronto - 28 foot travel trailer

Stopping downtown Detroit for lunch on the way back. Hope my truck is in one piece when I come out

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
so how does this work.. they contact you to see if you are available and if so, you make the trip. If not, they move on down the list to the next hauler they have?

How are you paid? Meaning next week after the trip, once a month? Also, safe to assume it's a per loaded mile rate that you get paid? Does it ever go up or down? If so, based on what?

Sorry to bombard (don't think that's the correct spelling but that's how I say that word. :hehe: ) you with so many questions. :hug:

C-ya

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
so how does this work.. they contact you to see if you are available and if so, you make the trip. If not, they move on down the list to the next hauler they have?

How are you paid? Meaning next week after the trip, once a month? Also, safe to assume it's a per loaded mile rate that you get paid? Does it ever go up or down? If so, based on what?

Sorry to bombard (don't think that's the correct spelling but that's how I say that word. :hehe: ) you with so many questions. :hug:

C-ya

Back when it was busier I could call in and say I want to leave tomorrow, whats available??

Now there is a list and you got it right, they call and say, we got one going to___________ you want it?

Pay is half upfront, last half and toll reimbursement as soon as you get the paperwork back to them. yes pay is loaded mile, sometimes you get a backhaul and make good $$$. pay goes up and down based on fuel prices

s3gulit

Teh Farmer
Dec 6, 2008
Illinois
hrm, would something like this be flexible around summer/winter months? Im really busy during spring/fall on the farm and could really use a flexible job. Dont have a fifth wheel but wouldnt mind dropping one in.

I know this crop insurance job im looking at pays .51/mile which is the highest allowable from the IRA, similar pay i expect?

Seems like it'd be a really badass job for me since i love just crankin the radio and cruising. Any chance theres a midwest-ish haul only position? Something like ohio to nebraska and wisconsin to tennessee?

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
The place I signed on with has been slow Nov to mid FEB, and slow in July. But last half of last year was slower than normal due to economy, and this year hasnt gotten busy yet.

In 2 years I've seen pay go from as low as .85/per mile to as high as $1.65/mile (lucked out on that one it was a little 16 foot Airstream going to AZ).

I usually go East/NE and try to take Ontario Canadas, they go by the house and I dont have to be out overnite. Right now with it being slower than usual I'm taking whatever they offer. They are flexible here, ask which way you want to go and try to give you that stuff. When it was busier I'd call in and get 12-15 different options for a destination. They are real flexible with my main job too, I've disappeard for a couple months working my normal job and summer camping trips, not a problem.

I'd call the pay "fair" or "ok". I went into it thinking if it pays enough to take care of a nice truck and a couple bucks left over for me I'm happy. Helps keep me busy and out of so much trouble too.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Was supposed to go to Tomah WI today but noone could find the trailer. So I'm headed the other way.

2 Mar 09 - Akron,Oh 30 foot Raptor 5th wheel 11,000+ lbs

Last edited:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Home for the night and rollin again today.

3/3/9 Murrysville,PA 29 foot trailer 6500lbs.

Supposed to be back home by 6:30 tonight:driving:

no mpg's this trip:D

msjdgman

Jan 13, 2009
SW Michigan
One of my buddies does this too. He says it makes the payment on the truck and leaves some cash in his pocket. He does it as fill in income like you do. My son has tried to get me to make some shorter runs on the weekends from his RV dealership, but so far I just haven`t had the time. Maybe this summer I will haul a couple to the track here at MIS for him. I guess the weekends at the track can be pretty fun with all of the big wigs that hire the trailers in.:D

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
5 Mar 9 - Bath, NY - Keystone Bullet 28ft 5500ish lbs

Filled up on the 1st I had 146773 on the odometer. Today, 148857 and still have almost 500 miles to get home.

Someone needs to make me a product tester.

1st week of the month seems to be busier for the trailers, so I took it off my normal job. It worked this time

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
When I get home I'll be close to 150,000 and I'll do another LOF. That got me wondering how many/much oil, filters, etc have I went thru

15 oil changes (every 10K) thats what about 40 gallons
30 oil filters (every 5K)
10 Fuel Filters (15k)
2 Air Filters (switched to Banks intake)
5 Trans filters + 1 internal when I changed pans
2 Wipers
4 headlights
1 fog/driving light
1 brake light
front speakers (need another set now)
19 tire rotations
still on the 2nd set of tires, originals lasted till 72k. Got 78K on 3 out of the 4, lost a chunck of a tire about 25k ago

And a lot of fuel!

theres more, like coolant flush, ps/brake/rearend fluid changes

Last edited: