Tequila!!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
tequila.JPG

Not much of a collection;) they are all for drinking, but all pretty good.

Left to right:

Porfidio Anejo - Sadly, it is nothin' but fumes and memories, as we have not been able to get a refill. Arguably one of the best tequilas at any price.

Don Eduardo Reposado - very good Reposado, modestly priced.

Tequila Romance (by Milagro) - This is an odd bottle that has 250ml of Anejo in the center (dark) and 750ml of Reposado surrounding it, and has two spouts. Good, but mostly for looks.

Don Ramon Reposado - Low cost, but tasty. Probably the best value in a 100% agave tequila, it was only about $12 in Mexico.

Don Julio Anejo - Another REALLY good tequila, nothing else touches it in the $50 price range. Highly recommended.

El Cofre de Oro Anejo - We toured the hacienda where this is made in mountains outside of Puerto Vallarta. It's good, but Don Julio is the same price and kicks it's ass.

Legenda del Milagro Reposado - Wins the "cool bottle" contest with it's agave plant flowering out of the base. And? It's pretty good! Oddly tastes better than the "Romance" tequila made by the same company.

Patron Reposado - Good. Perhaps over-rated.

Corralejo Reposado - Good value, tasty, readily available.

I'd say the Anejo winner is the Porfidio, but cannot be found since they lost their license a few years back. That bottle was made in the last year before their closure. Out of the "available" Anejo's, the Don Julio is your best friend.

The Reposado field is closer. But I'd have to say both the Milagro and Don Ramon are very good choices. Don Ramon is perhaps the "best buy" winner, and the Milagro is just plain good stuff, and can be found usually at Costco.

There is a LARGE difference between the worst tequilas above and your typical Jose Cuervo found at a liquor store. I used to hate tequila because it gave me headaches and hangovers. Not to mention it burned my throat hard. Kinda a "macho" thing to drink shots of cheap tequila. It's typically only 51% agave spirits and the rest is neutral spirits (think Everclear). But after discovering what tequila is supposed to taste like, it has become my favorite liquor.

Basically, real tequila is made from 100% agave spirits. It comes in three ranges: Blanco (or silver) is not aged, but is still better than the best rotgut. Makes a great margarita. Reposado is the next step up, expect to pay about $25-$35 a bottle, as it is aged about 6m to a year. Anejo is the top shelf as it is aged at least 2 years. Prices can go nuts here, and that bottle of Porfidio was $250 in Mexico about 6 years ago. Some genuine bottles have went for over $700 recently. But to be honest, it is better than Don Julio ($50) but not $200 better.

The proper way to drink a fine tequila does not involve salt or limes. You pour out a small amount in a glass, then inhale deeply over it to gather the aroma. Throw it down your gullet, close your mouth and inhale deeply. You will taste many subtle flavors.

Or just grab a bottle a guzzle it down. :D Certainly do not waste Reposado or Anejo by mixing it. If you want to make high quality mixed drinks, use the Blanco. The flavors of the aged tequila will be masked by sugar mixers.

OK, time for a shot of Don Julio! :joker:

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
well sadly my collection has gone down,i only have a couple shots of the Don Julio 1942 left , the don eduardo is not as good as the Don Julio imo, but i can get it in Canada its the only good teqi that i cant get here:mad:

the casa noble was allright and i have tried romance it was good
the porfidio ive never seen or tried....to bad cause you like Don Julio and so do i ,im sure i would of loved the porfidio too:D

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
i also read a ruhmer that Joes Cuervo was buying Don Julio so they could enter competitions, because ther tequilia sucks i geuss

Mcrat i know what you mean about the good stuff, tequilia is now my favorite booze, when i tell people i love tequi, they all get this memory from highschool of when they pounded back cheap shots at the bar and say your crazy, then i give them a shot of Don Julio and they are like thats not to bad at all....then the bottle goes back into hiding

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
well sadly my collection has gone down,i only have a couple shots of the Don Julio 1942 left , the don eduardo is not as good as the Don Julio imo, but i can get it in Canada its the only good teqi that i cant get here:mad:

the casa noble was allright and i have tried romance it was good
the porfidio ive never seen or tried....to bad cause you like Don Julio and so do i ,im sure i would of loved the porfidio too:D

Amigo!!! A man after my own heart! :D

We did find a bar in Mazatlan that had an old bottle of Porfidio and bought a couple shots. It was as good as we remembered. Supposedly they are going to open back up, but I'm holding my breath.

But the Don Julio is exceptional regardless.

Cuervo does make a "premium" tequila, but I have not tried it. It is called Family Reserve Anejo (in spanish though), and I need to hunt down a bottle a bottle for "scientific testing". ;)

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
i bought a Don Julio gift set one year and it contained sifters ethched with the "Don Julio" logo on it,since then my wife bought me a set of crystal sifters
its true and i never thought what type of glass you drank out of made a difference but it does imo..the sifters are the only way i drink the Anejo
plus it makes me feel like a high roller :D

if you mix it, what do you like to mix it with?

i find the Blanco makes great margaritas, When i first started drinking Tequilia we mixed it with vanilla coke:eek:

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
Amigo!!! A man after my own heart! :D

We did find a bar in Mazatlan that had an old bottle of Porfidio and bought a couple shots. It was as good as we remembered. Supposedly they are going to open back up, but I'm holding my breath.

Cuervo does make a "premium" tequila, but I have not tried it. It is called Family Reserve Anejo (in spanish though), and I need to hunt down a bottle a bottle for "scientific testing". ;)
its pretty good we have a bottle of it at home.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

Its OK IMO

I tried this other stuff but cant member the name? have to see when I get home but its fairly cheap and really good