Help: TEKONSHA Prodigy P3 Issue

E.carter

Feb 16, 2008
Princeton, Iowa
Hey everyone.... I towed a camper to scheids over the weekend and my trailers brakes worked flawless, ran b2 boost level with 2.8 gain. When I went to leave sunday after noon I found that they were not working. I stopped and checked everything over and found that I didnt have voltage present at the controller when the brake was depressed according to the trouble shooting page. I could slide the manual knob and they worked manually. I pulled the controller and harness out tonight and checked continuity between plug ends and all is fine. Anyone have any ideas as what to go after? Will try to check output from brake pedal tomarrow night. Thanks in advance, Eric

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Sorry for OT, but you run 2.8 gain? Is that the one that can be set up to 12.8?

Im having an issue with a 28 foot enclosed trailer surging.... I brake and anytime it gets above about 3 it goes OVERLOADED NO BRAKES and releases braking, the grabs again, , then goes OVERLOADED, releases, grabs, etc. Surges.

Not sure what the issue is there.... yours sounds like it may be a controller issue?

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
where did you buy it? All P3's are still under warranty, they havent been around long enough to go out of it. They are so easy to R&R you should just swap one and see if that solves the problem.

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA

Im having an issue with a 28 foot enclosed trailer surging.... I brake and anytime it gets above about 3 it goes OVERLOADED NO BRAKES and releases braking, the grabs again, , then goes OVERLOADED, releases, grabs, etc. Surges.

Not sure what the issue is there.... yours sounds like it may be a controller issue?

how much weight is in it?? and are you using the P3 or the factory controller?

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
This is on a shop half ton. Empty trailer, thing is light. Its a P3. It was having issues so I put a P3 in it and still doing it, so I think it may be wiring related on the trailer. Its going to the trailer shop in the morning to have them do a once over on the thing before we leave for a big trade show hundreds of miles away.

But, FWIW I will be pulling it in my 08 LMM equipped with factory controller. Now, if I can get it to work is a different story, never have lol.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Hey everyone.... I towed a camper to scheids over the weekend and my trailers brakes worked flawless, ran b2 boost level with 2.8 gain. When I went to leave sunday after noon I found that they were not working. I stopped and checked everything over and found that I didnt have voltage present at the controller when the brake was depressed according to the trouble shooting page. I could slide the manual knob and they worked manually. I pulled the controller and harness out tonight and checked continuity between plug ends and all is fine. Anyone have any ideas as what to go after? Will try to check output from brake pedal tomarrow night. Thanks in advance, Eric
I think I read something about a guy having the same problem on his truck a week or so ago. I think it was the third brake light fuse blown that caused the problem.

trailerpro

Aug 6, 2006
Salem, Ohio

Sounds like you have a wire inside the drum rubbing on the drum or the crossover wire in the axles rubbing. Those are the two most common places to get a short. Could just be a worn out magnet too. When they wear down to the copper windings of the magnet they will short.
I think I read something about a guy having the same problem on his truck a week or so ago. I think it was the third brake light fuse blown that caused the problem.

That is definately the first thing to check. CHMSL fuse (center high mounted stop lamp).

E.carter

Feb 16, 2008
Princeton, Iowa
Thanks for the replys guys. I will ckeck out the stop lamp tonight when I get off work. As far as other questions on the p3 I am a first time user of it and am not sure on the settings yet but I know with the setting I had on the trip down it worked perfect.

E.carter

Feb 16, 2008
Princeton, Iowa

Third brake light works just fine:( Anyone have any more suggestions? I didnt get time to check voltage output on the signal wire. Very busy nights with home remodel and baby about ready to land. Thanks