Info: TCM tuning

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
D5196 -- values changed, but close to stock
D5197 -- disabled

Strange as this may seem, but my trans shifts nice, no matter part throttle or WOT. The TCM tune with the above values cured my 2-3 hangup and 3-4 flare when racing. My fluid is not burnt at all, and I havent seen any abnormal/large chunks in the filter at change intervals. Guess I really have been running on "borrowed time", eh?

Question: What would cause the trans to not downshift in Tow-Haul as hard as it normally would??? It downshifts like its in regular mode, not tow/haul.

Last edited:

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
when you say 5197 is disabled which part of 5197 is disabled. i hope that the tq request is not disabled

I have a tune from someone else and it has rpm limit and torque limit all disabled, Ive never seen Pink slippers tcm tunes but they could be the same?

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
D5197 -- disabled

Strange as this may seem, but my trans shifts nice, no matter part throttle or WOT. The TCM tune with the above values cured my 2-3 hangup and 3-4 flare when racing. My fluid is not burnt at all, and I havent seen any abnormal/large chunks in the filter at change intervals. Guess I really have been running on "borrowed time", eh?

Question: What would cause the trans to not downshift in Tow-Haul as hard as it normally would??? It downshifts like its in regular mode, not tow/haul.
set that to all enabled and work on your ecm tune.

i can foresee some hard parts being left n the track the way it is....

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ben, I wasn't accusing your truck of being weak or slow, was just asking. The original poster is trapping 115 and in the mid 11s - even if it's a light truck that's not easy on the trans. For the guys needing a refresh with less power than you (with the exception of ATS guys:rolleyes:) there is either a problem in their trans build or a major problem in their tuning. A truck that is 500-600hp and running 12s on bad trans tuning is going to be alot more forgiving to a trans than a 700+hp truck in the 11s. So you might have a TCM tune that does fine for 100K miles and 300 passes at that power level but will tear up a trans in a few passes at a higher power level. That's the only point I was making.

yeah, got it, understood...that is a good point about how much power levels can affect a trans tune...what works well for a 500hp tune could be deadly if you suddenly turn it up to 600hp....sorry about taht Dustin, I didnt mean for my post to come off as snippy, looking back on it, it does. :eek::

ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
D5197 -- disabled

:eek: :eek: :eek:

change it back to enabled Tom!!

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD

All you guys have to do is what mike said, copy stock tables into D5196 and enable D5197 and you should be ok. Also make sure your shift timing is stock. The only thing we should be changing is the shift points which includes shift mph and shift rpm.

That is what I have gathered from talking to a few tuners and a tranny builder, dont flame the messenger.

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

Thanks gents. :hug:

I'll flash the trans back to stock tomorrow AM. Ya know...if I knew how to tune, I wouldnt have to depend on others to tune my truck.

Question: Since tuning information is moving faster than computer technology, and tuner acumen is growing exponentially because of it..... would this find qualify as another "It worked in 2008, but now we know better" kind of thing?

Last edited:

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
D5197 -- disabled

Please do change it back this is why i am where i am. To be honest i never had problems with that trans tune when i was running 500 HP. It was after i put the turbo and injectors on it started acting wierd. I had 6,000 miles on my trans total but only about 2,000 after the turbo and injectors. Just like others were saying what works at 500HP might not work at 600HP and guess what it didnt. Im sure it wasnt good on the trans either way the extra power just helped it along extra quick.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Thanks gents. :hug:

I'll flash the trans back to stock tomorrow AM. Ya know...if I knew how to tune, I wouldnt have to depend on others to tune my truck.

Question: Since tuning information is moving faster than computer technology, and tuner acumen is growing exponentially because of it..... would this find qualify as another "It worked in 2008, but now we know better" kind of thing?

I think it was tony that said awhile ago that the tq disable was beta and they released it anyway.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
it was in beta iirc up until the mid spring release last year. i had the beta version from slippers and was trying it out. then when i did the bbl upgrade the tables where there. now that i dont have it in and a decent tune to go with the stock tcm tuning i rarely notice defuel during normal driving.

E.carter

Feb 16, 2008
Princeton, Iowa
Dont worry about it, what everyone should worry about is looking at the tables in the TCM and making sure they are stock. I know its fun to blame it all on this "pink slippers" but he is not the only one with potentially dangerous tuning.

I dont worry about anything in my tunes! I know I have Top notch tunes. I fully trust the guy who wrote my tunes. If I want change I just select between the several tunes I have and go. I will never attempt to alter any tune I have. Even with what I am learnig on this forum and others about efilive I will still leave my tunning to the real pros as they will always be many many steps ahead of my knowledge.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
from what i have read thus far stock and shift points okay. thats it. also shifting it higher eliminates some damaging effect as it gets through the torque curve so your shifting it at lower torque levels.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
After reading all 8 pages I have one question-should I return it back to stock since its a high hp build but keep the higher shift points? I was told I was losing hp by allowing it to shift on the lower stock rpm settings.

Return D5196 and D5197 to stock. If your shift timing is changed more than a tiny bit here and there I would put them back to stock as well.

Last edited:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Hey guys, I already asked RacingMike, but I'll put a general request out, too. Can someone PM me the FILENAME of the trans tune in question, so I can check my EFI and see if its something I've run/am running in my truck? I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THE TUNE...just the name of it.

Tom,

The file name in irrelevant, the fact that the table was for BETA testers and was posted publicly by "someone" is also now irrelevant. This was IMHO a quick and dirty fix for tuners that either didn't know how to or didn't want to address de-fueling the proper way. If you search some of my pre-banned posts on other sites you will see that I warned and Mike L did as well to not use that tune or any with the request disabled.

Mike L has also seen a few other trashed transmissions due to this "fix".

So is this mainly a problem with the 5 speeds?

It is only a problem if you disable the tables.

I think it was tony that said awhile ago that the tq disable was beta and they released it anyway.

It was enabled by Ross and Paul for testing, once the table was let out even though nobody outside BETA could see it it was too late. I have Beta VFO tables that were never released because DSP5 came out, and I beleive Ross never rewrote the calz. files in the updates so it is probably not even valid anymore as a tune file, the point is I never let it out of BETA and that is how it is supposed to be.

it was in beta iirc up until the mid spring release last year. i had the beta version from slippers and was trying it out. then when i did the bbl upgrade the tables where there. now that i dont have it in and a decent tune to go with the stock tcm tuning i rarely notice defuel during normal driving.

It's like a tube of toothpaste, once you squeeze the toothpaste out of the tube you have a really difficult time putting it back in.

;)

Last edited: