Swapping a L5P into a 2015 Silverado

t.hovey_lml

Mar 12, 2022
Hello all, First time posting here. I have a 2015 Silverado with a LML Duramax that has 250k miles. My CP4 just took a crap and started thinking maybe instead of replacing the entire fuel system I might swap in a low mileage L5P. I am curious as to what may be involved in this swap. I know that it will require some modification but not exactly sure what to expect. Anyone done this swap? I saw that Dustin from Diesel_Attitude had done it in a LBZ but I figured a LML and L5P are more similar and maybe it would be a little more straightforward swap.
Thanks in advance,
Todd

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
It’ll be cheaper to fix your lml. The problem is the LML ECM wont run the L5P. And its not as simple as swapping the L5P ECM in either. Just some thots i had.

Reactions: Jakezed22

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
It’ll be cheaper to fix your lml. The problem is the LML ECM wont run the L5P. And its not as simple as swapping the L5P ECM in either. Just some thots i had.
Wonder if anyone has compared can signals to see if that would be a possibility. Since gm is pretty good for keeping things the same. L5P can have vats removed.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Unfortunately, no one wants to share the details on what it takes to make it run in a swap like this. Since its has been done on an LBZ I would venture to say it should be possible and maybe easier on LML

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
From what ive read the only hang up running it on a LBZ is different reluctor wheel on crank, which could easily be solved by running an external reluctor. I dont think it can be changed since the l5p uses a rear mounted reluctor similar to an LS engine.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
From what ive read the only hang up running it on a LBZ is different reluctor wheel on crank, which could easily be solved by running an external reluctor. I dont think it can be changed since the l5p uses a rear mounted reluctor similar to an LS engine.

It’s an easy fix for the l5p to run on lbz electronics but none of that will work to swap the l5p into the lml

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Is the general electrical architecture similar between the LML and L5P trucks? Could this be a case similar to swapping an LBZ into an 03/04 LB7 truck, where you have to swap everything underhood, including harnesses?
Time to get into GMUpfitter and start doing research, I guess......

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Is the general electrical architecture similar between the LML and L5P trucks? Could this be a case similar to swapping an LBZ into an 03/04 LB7 truck, where you have to swap everything underhood, including harnesses?
Time to get into GMUpfitter and start doing research, I guess......
from what I can tell on the electrical diagrams they do appear similar. I didn't look too closely but it almost looked like maybe they converted to positive switched electrical instead of ground switched but maybe that was only for the circuits I was looking at. I can't speak on the communication protocols between the two though. there does also appear to be several new modules in the L5P such as a fuel pump driver module that is not present in earlier models. of course if one was trying to drive an L5P with an LBZ ecm then that shouldn't be an issue