Sump or Not

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I believe air dog is, or at least the AD165 I have. I've run with it unpowered and didn't really see much difference but im only on stock sticks at 2800 pw so maybe not enough to truly test it.

Does make priming a chore with it off though. That is the main reason I have it. Filter change and to keep the air out of the lines

do you run a sump or anything?

LB7_01DURAMAX

Apr 11, 2019
Ohio
I just put a beans sump in mine. I wasn’t really wanting to drill a hole either but I ended up doing it and no problems so far. No leaks and easy install.

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
I just did a bunch of research on this (for my 2003 LB7), and literally just received my pump yesterday. Planning to install it this weekend.

I bought a Kennedy twin pump "everything" kit, which includes the wiring harness, fittings, hose, and billet pickup (not sure if it's needed, but the pickup is REALLY small on an LB7). In my research, I never heard of anyone having any low fuel level issues, or being starved for fuel with this setup.

For an extra ~$50, I also ordered a Napa 4770 filter head, Baldwin BF1212 filter, and a couple of mini ball valves to isolate the additional filter (for easier changes).

I'm basically going for this setup, except twin pumps and only one filter head: https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/diy-tech-discussion/806281-my-lift-pump-kit.html

I had a hard time finding any disadvantage to this setup. The pumps are extremely quiet, have extremely long typical life spans (measured in the 10s of thousands of hours, several decades for most people), flow-thru design, and two pumps are proven to make 1000+ horsepower.

And with the Baldwin BF1212 being drawn thru as a primary filter / water separator, and something like a Baldwin BF46062 (4 micron rating at 99.85% efficiency) up front on the OEM filter head as a secondary, I think that's gonna be about as good as it gets as far as filtration goes. And cheap, too.

The only drawback I can possibly think of is that the pumps aren't self priming. But with how easy it is to prime them (basically run the truck, and then turn them on), this was a complete non-issue to me.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
as of this year iv'e had my AD165 on for 10 years with no problems. its quiet, adjustable and simple, it just works.

I also recently installed a beans sump about 2 years ago also with no issues during or after install and it was easy. the only way ill do another sump is a beans sump.
my truck is pretty damn low and i am not worried whatsoever about the sump, theres about 10 other things that will scrape or bottom out before something hits the sump

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
Another question....If I use a flow through pump like Fass or AD and do the sump, I assume it won't actually flow through because its pulling from the sump? Or am I not thinking about it correctly.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I just did a bunch of research on this (for my 2003 LB7), and literally just received my pump yesterday. Planning to install it this weekend.

I bought a Kennedy twin pump "everything" kit, which includes the wiring harness, fittings, hose, and billet pickup (not sure if it's needed, but the pickup is REALLY small on an LB7). In my research, I never heard of anyone having any low fuel level issues, or being starved for fuel with this setup.

For an extra ~$50, I also ordered a Napa 4770 filter head, Baldwin BF1212 filter, and a couple of mini ball valves to isolate the additional filter (for easier changes).

I'm basically going for this setup, except twin pumps and only one filter head: https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/diy-tech-discussion/806281-my-lift-pump-kit.html

I had a hard time finding any disadvantage to this setup. The pumps are extremely quiet, have extremely long typical life spans (measured in the 10s of thousands of hours, several decades for most people), flow-thru design, and two pumps are proven to make 1000+ horsepower.

And with the Baldwin BF1212 being drawn thru as a primary filter / water separator, and something like a Baldwin BF46062 (4 micron rating at 99.85% efficiency) up front on the OEM filter head as a secondary, I think that's gonna be about as good as it gets as far as filtration goes. And cheap, too.

The only drawback I can possibly think of is that the pumps aren't self priming. But with how easy it is to prime them (basically run the truck, and then turn them on), this was a complete non-issue to me.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

I like all the same things that you mentioned about the Kennedy pump and only thing I didn't like was that it doesn't self prime. The only issue is I am not going to do the install and most shops around me don't want to install that pump. I believe one shop said I was trying to reinvent the wheel with the Kennedy pump. It's somewhat frusterating, I am willing to pay a fair price for work, I wouldn't think my pump selection would be such an issue. Anyone know of a decent shop in MN near the twin cities?

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
Another question....If I use a flow through pump like Fass or AD and do the sump, I assume it won't actually flow through because its pulling from the sump? Or am I not thinking about it correctly.

Are you sure that the Fass and AirDog pumps are flow-through? I suppose there could be some sort of pilot valve / check valve circuit that will allow fuel to flow through the housing if the pump fails to deliver pressure, but that style of pump (gerotor) is generally not flow-through.

I like all the same things that you mentioned about the Kennedy pump and only thing I didn't like was that it doesn't self prime. The only issue is I am not going to do the install and most shops around me don't want to install that pump. I believe one shop said I was trying to reinvent the wheel with the Kennedy pump. It's somewhat frusterating, I am willing to pay a fair price for work, I wouldn't think my pump selection would be such an issue. Anyone know of a decent shop in MN near the twin cities?

Are you buying the parts yourself and having them install it? Or are you buying it completely through the shop?

95% of the time, when a shop is selling you parts, they're going to recommend / sell whatever they get the biggest discount on, so that they can make the most money. I don't necessarily blame them, but that's likely why they're pushing you towards a certain brand.

As for the install, I guess I'll find out this weekend, but with the complete Kennedy kit, it looks ridiculously easy.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
I had a FASS on my last truck and it died after 50k miles.

I have 30k+ on my twin kennedy's and couldn't be happier. I'm not trying to make huge HP, but it's so nice that it's quiet and the truck runs fine when they don't run.

Woodster

Computer Nerd
Aug 28, 2009
Utah
I had a FASS 165 Titanium for 10 years without a sump and never had any problems. I just upgraded to a FASS Titanium Signature Series pump with a Deviant sump and sold my old FASS to my brother.

Both pumps are running strong. These new Signature Series pumps by FASS are silent. I makes me kinda miss the old style because I could always hear it running. :rofl:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I’ve installed 2 fuelab pumps, super easy install and ultra quiet. When the AD or BD pumps I have now die I’m switching to fuelab.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Lol back when I did my fass I avoided the 1/4 problem by cutting a piece of 1/2” hose I had laying around and using that as my draw straw:roflmao:
7 years later still running strong!!!
If I had to do it over I would go with AirDog just because I’ve heard fass has gone downhill
Sump isn’t needed imo... it’s more of a gimmick :thumb:

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I’ve installed 2 fuelab pumps, super easy install and ultra quiet. When the AD or BD pumps I have now die I’m switching to fuelab.

So since you have installed the Fuel Lab do you know if they are flow thu design? I seem to be getting mixed answers. I assume the Fuel Lab returns fuel to the filler as well? I know I'm getting picky, but I'd rather not cut the filler neck or drill a whole in the tank. Are the installs pretty much the same as fass and AD or are there differences?

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
Lol back when I did my fass I avoided the 1/4 problem by cutting a piece of 1/2” hose I had laying around and using that as my draw straw:roflmao:
7 years later still running strong!!!
If I had to do it over I would go with AirDog just because I’ve heard fass has gone downhill
Sump isn’t needed imo... it’s more of a gimmick :thumb:

Are you saying the sump isn't needed for performance reasons or because you have never had any startup issues at or under 1/4 tank?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
So since you have installed the Fuel Lab do you know if they are flow thu design? I seem to be getting mixed answers. I assume the Fuel Lab returns fuel to the filler as well? I know I'm getting picky, but I'd rather not cut the filler neck or drill a whole in the tank. Are the installs pretty much the same as fass and AD or are there differences?

They don’t have an external bleed line. Install is similar to air dog and fass. No idea if they are flow through or not. I could have my friend pull the fuse and try it.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
There's obviously plenty of ways to skin this cat, and they all work just fine.

I've been running the Kennedy setup for 7-8 years, only problem I had was a controller went out on me. Didn't hurt anything and John replaced it for free. I'm not sure how someone would think he's reinventing the wheel?

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I ran Kennedy's, airdog, and fass. Only thing i hated with Kennedy's pumps is priming after I changed the filter. For that reason I went with the fass the next time then the airdog this time. My old fass was loud, the airdog is pretty quiet.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I ran Kennedy's, airdog, and fass. Only thing i hated with Kennedy's pumps is priming after I changed the filter. For that reason I went with the fass the next time then the airdog this time. My old fass was loud, the airdog is pretty quiet.

What was your issue? Seems pretty straight forward to crack a bleeder screw and push a button.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
What was your issue? Seems pretty straight forward to crack a bleeder screw and push a button.

I could never get the air out and get them to prime. I always had to force compressed air into the filler neck to get the air out of the filter to get them to pump