Sump or Not

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I'm trying to figure out what lift pump to run and if i should do a sump or not. I don't want to have any 1/4 tank issues, but I'm also not crazy about the idea of drilling a hole in my tank. Looking for some good input from others that have gone with a sump or billet pickup etc. This truck will probably never see a bigger turbo and doesn't have any trans work at the moment. I'm leaning heavily towards a Fuel Lab 200 pump.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
Another thing is one shop has recommended a fass 95 (because that's all they sell) and no sump or pickup modifications. Another shop is saying Fass 165 (for budget route) or Fuel Lab 200 with a sump. Any harm in runnning the Fuel Lab 200 even if its a bit more than I need right now?

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I'm trying to figure out what lift pump to run and if i should do a sump or not. I don't want to have any 1/4 tank issues, but I'm also not crazy about the idea of drilling a hole in my tank. Looking for some good input from others that have gone with a sump or billet pickup etc. This truck will probably never see a bigger turbo and doesn't have any trans work at the moment. I'm leaning heavily towards a Fuel Lab 200 pump.

I've been kicking around the same thing. Since I've lowered my truck 4" it's had me second guessing the sump. On my old truck I ran the ppe pickup and never had any problems. Was thinking about going that route again

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ive noticed that FASS pumps have been increasing in failures. A few shops have swapped completely to AirDog because of it and are having much better luck.

i would suggest an AD2 165. uses the stock pick up and will provide more than enough fuel for you even if you decided to go to the 900-1000rwhp range. The old addage of the stock pickup being restrictive to 600hp is based on outdated info. that was back when guys used a ton of fuel to drive higher HP numbers. Turbo choices and injector choices have improved vastly and its easy to make well above 600hp on a stock pickup now.

Even if thats not enough, the PPE 5/8" pick up will drop in with a little drilling of the sending unit and gives no 1/4 tank issues. it still uses the stock sump, hence no 1/4 tank issues. ive had my tank to the point the truck was loping from low fuel and it took 34 gallons to fill it up.

if you decide its best to drill a hole in your tank and keep an exposed fuel line to the road, get a sump that returns fuel to its sump. this will help keep cavitation/air out of the lift pump on low tank conditions.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I have had 2 different pumps, a PPE 165, and Kennedy twin pumps.

The PPE worked, but I just could not get past the noise of the gear pump.

I love my Kennedy twin setup with Cat filters, it provides the fuel, it quiet, and if they fail, I can still drive the truck.

I put a bypass valve on my PPE in case it ever failed and I needed to get home. That is not required with the Kennedy.

I used a billet pickup and 5/8" feed hose for both of the installations and have not had issues, both trucks are/were DD's and I did not have a 1/4 tank problem.

I didn't like the thought of having a sump hanging down...

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
Ive noticed that FASS pumps have been increasing in failures. A few shops have swapped completely to AirDog because of it and are having much better luck.

i would suggest an AD2 165. uses the stock pick up and will provide more than enough fuel for you even if you decided to go to the 900-1000rwhp range. The old addage of the stock pickup being restrictive to 600hp is based on outdated info. that was back when guys used a ton of fuel to drive higher HP numbers. Turbo choices and injector choices have improved vastly and its easy to make well above 600hp on a stock pickup now.

Even if thats not enough, the PPE 5/8" pick up will drop in with a little drilling of the sending unit and gives no 1/4 tank issues. it still uses the stock sump, hence no 1/4 tank issues. ive had my tank to the point the truck was loping from low fuel and it took 34 gallons to fill it up.

if you decide its best to drill a hole in your tank and keep an exposed fuel line to the road, get a sump that returns fuel to its sump. this will help keep cavitation/air out of the lift pump on low tank conditions.

I was set on a fass 165, but have been reading alot of negative feedback as well. Are you saying that I can run an AD 165 without a sump or different pickup without issues. I'm most concerned about the truck not starting at or under 1/4 tank. I want to keep the rail full obviously, but don't want to sacrifice dd ability.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
I run a air dog 165 4G pump with a beans sump, I’ve ran my tank well below 1/4 never have had a problem ,yes I love it pulling fuel from the bottom of the tank allows the fuel pump to work less harder also makes it way quieter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I was set on a fass 165, but have been reading alot of negative feedback as well. Are you saying that I can run an AD 165 without a sump or different pickup without issues. I'm most concerned about the truck not starting at or under 1/4 tank. I want to keep the rail full obviously, but don't want to sacrifice dd ability.

you can put the ad2 165 right on without issue. its meant to be a bolt on/click in system where there is no drilling for a pick up or any of that. it uses the factory pick up and lines from the tank. your injectors and cp3 will be the only thing holding you back fueling wise once thats installed.

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
I had a fass 95 and it took a crap on me. so I bought a fass 165. and I am running a G&R diesel sump with no problems. I had the 1/4 tank issue as well without the sump.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
you can put the ad2 165 right on without issue. its meant to be a bolt on/click in system where there is no drilling for a pick up or any of that. it uses the factory pick up and lines from the tank. your injectors and cp3 will be the only thing holding you back fueling wise once thats installed.

I'm obviously leaning away from the fass 165, but would that same be said for a fass?
Also any experience with the Fuel Lab pumps? I've heard good things, but seems like there aren't nearly as many of them out there.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i believe FASS is on the same board as AirDog with bolt on/click in units. i dont know as ive never been a FASS guy. ive always done AirDogs.

the fuel lab unit will require more work to get them setup and working. how much? not sure as ive not installed one yet so i could be off but based on the few installs ive seen on the net, they dont look as comprehensive as the airdog/fass. take that with a grain of salt though

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
I’ve put over 100k miles on my AD2 165 and never had any issues with it, and have never had quarter tank issues. Yeah, I’ve ran the truck out of fuel already. this was on LML, I don’t know if the stock pick up on the older gen trucks are different and cause issues or not.

Just picked up a Fuelab 200, because I wanted a bigger one. It comes with a mounting bracket, two plates, and bolts long enough to mount it on the frame. Also comes with all the fittings that you need. All the fittings are push-lok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
been running a fass 165 for about 4 years with beans sump . slightly lifted but ive been in some wild situations and have never had anything come close to hitting the sump. Dont think id want one on a lowered truck though. no low tank issues and can run the tank way down. Ive never had the balls to run it past 50 miles with light on and then it still only took 22 gallons .

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Fuelab is by far the best pump on the market in my opinion. The high/low options is tits. Super quite.

The most common set up we sell at shop is airdog raptor 4g 100, cat adapter and Donaldson filter. Have yet had one fail me. Dont gel up like others. Easy to install. Super quite and cheap.

No need for sump in my opinion. Just another thing to leak with minimal gains

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
Fuelab is by far the best pump on the market in my opinion. The high/low options is tits. Super quite.

The most common set up we sell at shop is airdog raptor 4g 100, cat adapter and Donaldson filter. Have yet had one fail me. Dont gel up like others. Easy to install. Super quite and cheap.

I agree with it being another thing to leak. My biggest concern is the truck not starting or sputtering with 1/4 tank, not so much the performance aspect. Is the raptor flow thru in the event that if fails?

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN

What's the hi/low options you speak of?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I agree with it being another thing to leak. My biggest concern is the truck not starting or sputtering with 1/4 tank, not so much the performance aspect. Is the raptor flow thru in the event that if fails?

No it's not. Neither is fuel lab.

What's the hi/low options you speak of?

You can put it on a switch or use a signal trigger to switch it from 30% flow to 100%.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to Fuel Pump section.

I dont believe that any fuel pump is truly flow thru in all situations, except maybe for low-power applications.

Been there, done that at the track without the lift pump turned on....its hilarious. :hehe:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I believe air dog is, or at least the AD165 I have. I've run with it unpowered and didn't really see much difference but im only on stock sticks at 2800 pw so maybe not enough to truly test it.

Does make priming a chore with it off though. That is the main reason I have it. Filter change and to keep the air out of the lines