Sulastic shackles

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
I was told by a rep at Calvert racing that they made a removable bar that attaches to the unused third hole in the front bracket on the front of the caltracs then to a bracket welded to frame ,for use only when sled pulling . i will have to check with them on monday.If not ,can i still keep my Sulastics but add reg traction bars for pulling without problems with shackles pounding up and down.Thanks for any advice.In four days heading to Greensburg driveshaft for new shafts, yokes and 1480s and carrier bearing install

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
I might look for an 06 front end for the extra cooling.I see Limitless in your sig I just got back from having tranny built buy Evan ,what a trip! the drive was wild to.LOL

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Do any of you use BDS recoil traction bars for limited sled pulling and or drag racing , with sulastic shackles. Just wondering if the truck would have to much free play in rearend with both ends of springs flexing?

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Well I was wrong ,according to the tec guy I just spoke to at Calvert Racing they do not sell bars that connect to the holes in the front plate on Caltracs system like I thought I heard . Sorry if I misled anyone,thats not a good way to get started on such a great and helpful site.He said the third hole is for additional preloading if needed .He also said they sell many sets of the Caltracs to sled pullers as well as drag racers ,I have no first hand knowledge of this system ,just wanting to buy whats best for my application.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You guys need to dig a little deeper into how caltracs work. You would find that the shackles will have very minimal affect on how the caltracs work, if any affect at all

Eddie_LLY

Jul 28, 2014
Colorado
I've looked at how Caltracs work and don't see any reason why they wouldn't "work" together but I can see how having a dynamic shackle could make the Caltracs really noisy for daily use.

Just curious to hear what a representative from Calvert racing had to say about using the two together.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Well I just got off the phone with Calvert tec and they said ,what are Sulastic shakles,I never heard of them. so since they have never heard of them I dont feel so bad about asking about them on this web site.I think this could be considered research,sorry if I bothered anyone with my post.

Eddie_LLY

Jul 28, 2014
Colorado
I guess I shouldn't be surprised a racing parts company has never heard of a comfort parts company.

Torqued are you going to try them together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
Those shackles won't change much. If you are that worried about it set the cal tracs up like they recommend and get your fattest buddy to jump up and down in the bed and see what it does to your caltracs preload.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
My nephew is the owner of a shop and he is pricing a couple of dif co bars , I like the idea behind the new BDS recoil traction bars,might be the best of both worlds ,or a nightmare. If I become a test mule for these ill let you know how they do with the Sulastics.After I became a SR citizen years ago , I like things a little more cushy .LOL

Eddie_LLY

Jul 28, 2014
Colorado
Those shackles won't change much. If you are that worried about it set the cal tracs up like they recommend and get your fattest buddy to jump up and down in the bed and see what it does to your caltracs preload.

This sounds like some Goonies level wrenching...love it:spit:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I had sulastic shackles on my truck. The only thing I noticed was it squatted more with a load. I put stock shackles back on and didn't notice much change in the ride if any.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I had sulastic shackles on my truck. The only thing I noticed was it squatted more with a load. I put stock shackles back on and didn't notice much change in the ride if any.

Glad you posted that, I was fixing to order a set.

I'm thinking pull a center leaf for for cushy, leave overload on for when needed and buy a good set of fox shocks. What do you think???

Still debating on a lift, I really hate to loose ground clearance in the center of the truck by lowering it.

Eddie_LLY

Jul 28, 2014
Colorado
I notice the difference. It's nothing major, but every little bit of less jarring when unloaded over road irregularities on Colorado roads adds up and is worth it in my opinion.
Disclaimer: CO roads suck real bad and lessening the suck is smile worhty:)