sucking fuel rails dry?? 09 lmm

flex

May 17, 2016
I had a problem after installing a mini maxx tuner and race exhaust , egr delete with fuel filter going to zero % and getting the engine reduced power. Then people said to install an air dog 150 and that would solve this issue. I still at times have this issue . My main question is why or is there any need to run all 3 fuel filters? would maybe blocking off the factory filter help or is that even Possible? 09 lmm 2500 Thanks for any info guys!!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I do not recommend shimming the valve unless you have verified you are leaking there. Do a bottle test first. How many miles are on the truck, and on which level do you have the mini maxx set?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You can remove the factory filter, since the AirDog should provide the filtration you need (I did this, but I run the CAT 2 micron filter on the AirDog). However, this won't really help flow. Your problem lies elsewhere. Like JoshH says, you need to do the bottle test to see if your FPRV is weak/leaking, then address that.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Any reason not to just run a race plug? I run my truck on max effort 24/7. It's holding 24.5-25k right now. I'm wondering if I can pick up some extra pressure by simply swapping to the race plug. It's easier to just replace than test, and if there is no harm in just replacing it, I'll go ahead and do it.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I had a problem after installing a mini maxx tuner and race exhaust , egr delete with fuel filter going to zero % and getting the engine reduced power. Then people said to install an air dog 150 and that would solve this issue. I still at times have this issue . My main question is why or is there any need to run all 3 fuel filters? would maybe blocking off the factory filter help or is that even Possible? 09 lmm 2500 Thanks for any info guys!!

I would ck the fuel lines at the left rear of the engine and the left side of the transmission. They are a mix of hard line and soft at the flex points of the engine and transmission. My Dad's 08' would have the fuel filter go to 0 and limp mode. I found that the factory fuel lines on the LMM like to kink shut at the left rear quick coupler. His had kinked all but closed on the bottom side of the fuel line.

Installed an Airdog with the supplied hoses and eliminated the factory lines all together. Every once in a blue moon it will read 0 on the fuel filter at startup, he just resets it and its fine. Maybe the airdogs hesitate to get running and starve the engine for fuel, I don't know? It hasn't caused him any issues yet and it only happens once in awhile.

Bottle test the FPR after looking at the lines.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Any reason not to just run a race plug? I run my truck on max effort 24/7. It's holding 24.5-25k right now. I'm wondering if I can pick up some extra pressure by simply swapping to the race plug. It's easier to just replace than test, and if there is no harm in just replacing it, I'll go ahead and do it.

There's nothing really wrong with it, but it won't accomplish anything other than wasting your time and money if it isn't leaking. The reason I don't recommend screwing with it if it isn't leaking is because I've seen people screw up a valve trying to shim it or not get it back in tight when installing the valve or plug and make a problem worse when it didn't need to be touched in the first place. It really isn't that difficult to do a bottle test; it takes about 2 minutes.

flex

May 17, 2016
I am not to familiar with diesels that well . I have been a mechanic for close to 28 years mostly Transmissions . But I had an 04 duramax and now this 09 lmm and have always done my own work with the exception of the tuners . So I am not exactly sure what you mean by bottle test and shimming. I will have to research this myself I guess. I assume you mean fuel pressure gauge ? ,but I have seen the race plugs and thought about buying one. but to answer the mileage on my truck is about 88,000.:confused:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I wouldn't run a race plug on a truck that isn't just for compatition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk