Subwoofer help!

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Just rechecked the mounting depth of the speakers, if I looked right the depth is 4.75" .

Maybe I looked at something wrong. From disposablehero's post, he said you were getting 2 10" sundown sa -10's and a single sae -600. Is this right? Also would you post a link to the box you're getting?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I getting excited, this will be the first decent system I've ever had. I already have aftermarket door speakers but I'll probably end up replacing them for something better soon. I think I bought them for around 150 for all 4 so there probably not going to work well with the rest of the system.

disposablehero

used soldier
Mar 29, 2014
Sorry. He changed plans due to shallow mounting. The sae amps are half ohm stable but the dealer said not to run that low. I prefer to run more rms power than the subs ask for. Especially in a small sealed enclosure. Looking forward to seeing the finished project. I'll be getting with you when I save a few bucks for trac bars. 2 weeks or so.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
It sounds like the subs aren't goin to perform up to there abilities but I'm sure they'll suit me fine. If not I can always throw another amp at it. I appreciate all the help and advice from everyone especially disposablehero! I Plan to start running the wiring and rca cable today. Hopefully the rest will arrive soon.

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
be sure to post up some pics man! how much did everything run you? I want to replace my factory speakers and throw a sub or two behind the seat but don't know what all that will cost..thinking about 6.5s all the way around for factory ones but don't know which ones to go with for a decent price.

disposablehero

used soldier
Mar 29, 2014
If you aren't going to put an amp on the door speakers then I would just go with a mid level speaker. You won't notice much of a difference. I am running Polk on mine and they are good enough. I have a 4 chan amp but I'm just lazy and more worried about running a low 12 vs my audio output. Hell. I'm still running a stock changer and am using a line converter. Ghetto style. Fyi. Don't waster your money on a jl cleansweep. Not worth the price tag.

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
Probably won't run an amp to them unless my bro in law has a smaller one. I'm pretty sure my drivers front is blown and just want a little better sound nothing crazy or expensive, maybe a couple hundred all around. I drive a coupe hours to and from work so it's nice to not have shitty speakers lol

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
be sure to post up some pics man! how much did everything run you? I want to replace my factory speakers and throw a sub or two behind the seat but don't know what all that will cost..thinking about 6.5s all the way around for factory ones but don't know which ones to go with for a decent price.
The subs were $165.00 ea. The amp was a little over $200.00, The enclosure was $175.00 and I bought a 4ga. install wiring kit for $50.00 from a local shop. It adds up but still way less than what Ive spent under the hood lol!

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Everything has come in but the enclosure. I've wired the amp up and mounded it. There seems to be several ways to wire up subs depending on what you have. If one of you gurus would post up a diagram I sure would appreciate it. I have a Sundown Audio SAE-600D amp and two SD-2 10" 500 watt SD series (D2/D4:Dual 4 Ohm) subs.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Just found something on Youtube. The demo I watched showed to wire parallel. All Positives wired in parallel and all negatives wired the same. the two speakers wired to each other in parallel positive to positive and negative to negative then a single wire going to the amp. This gives a final impedance of 1 ohm. I have two spots for speakers to wire up on my amp but if I do them separately I'll get a final of 2 ohms per speaker? From what I'm hearing I want to end up with 1 ohm?

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Getting 4 ohm subs isn't necessarily a bad thing. The dual voice coil subs will allow you to get down to a single 1 ohm load which is perfect for your amp. Wire each speaker voice coil in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative). This gives each speaker a 2 ohm load. Then wire the two speakers in parallel. This will give you the final 1 ohm load and each voice coil will get 150 watts of power.

Yes wire the speakers up like this. You should have a single positive lead and a single negative lead coming from the box to the amp (1ohm load). Connect the positive to the Left + and the negative to the Right - of the amp. This "connection" bridges the two channels together.

disposablehero

used soldier
Mar 29, 2014
You shoulda texted me. Lol. All + to + and - to -.will put you at a 1 ohm load on a pair od dual 4 ohm subs. Aka parallel. Series will raise the impedance. You can mix and match too. To series up to 8 then parallel together dropping it back to 4.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Thank you guys! And I would have text you Joey but was just trying to give you a break from all my questions, you've been a huge help!