Stroker CP3 Whine

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
Ok so I had a brand new Fleece 10mm stroker CP3 kit installed on my LML, everything seems alright (no codes and no lights on dash) drives great but I have a high pitch whine coming from under the hood.

It almost sounds like turbo whistle but it's definitely not. This is an all new sound post CP3 install.

I know that it is difficult to diagnose sounds from descriptions of sounds and video clips. But any help would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI6xuWwxCRA

Sound hits around the 17 second and 27 second marks.

Last edited:

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
My stroker pump (not from Fleece) was about 3 mos old and began making noise. Sounded like louder than usual turbo whine. It started a few days before Weekend on the Edge. Held together for the Friday drags, then Sat. morning it went bang and locked up completely while on the dyno. I hope yours isn't the same thing as what was going on with mine.

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
ya, I don't know if on youtube I can enable any audio effects to enhance the sound of the noise but it's not nearly as faint in the original video.

Thanks for the pointer I'll start there.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Well if it is, I'd think that this would be a defective pump then. It's only run for several hours.

Mine was quiet for about 3 months. But I'd never had one before and don't know much about them. Maybe they don't all sound the same, maybe some are noisier than others. The 12mm Exergy on there now is quiet.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
If it is whining and you're sure of it I'd rip it out... My stroker pump grenaded while I was driving it

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
Well I'm not 100%, I asked both Fleece and Kory (because I run his tunes and know he had a CP3 in the valley too) and Fleece is sure it's not the pump and it's a boost leak. Boost is where I'd expect to see it when I drive it. And Kory said he's never heard a CP3 sound like that.

If I had a boost leak would I not notice a difference in pressure? Readings look normal.

I'm no diesel mechanic or even all that knowledgeable in this world (yet haha), kind of why I only lurk around here so far. But I knew this was the right platform to ask.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
did a cp3 in a lb7 once and the y bridge weaped a little on it....sounded like a high pitched wine. the leak was so small because it had new gaskets on the y bridge that it was BARELY escaping. but made a high pitched squeel almost

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
sounds boost/turbo related to me.

If it were CP3 noise, it would make the same whine just free revving it in park.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
definitely sounds like a boost leak to me. just cause your hitting the boost you normally hit does not mean you dont have a leak

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
sounds boost/turbo related to me.

If it were CP3 noise, it would make the same whine just free revving it in park.

Mine did that.....revving in park or while moving, all the same......a whine that increased with more rpm. Sounded like loud turbo whine, the kind lots of people want. Boost leaks for me have been with a split boot, made kind of a whooshing noise and power would flatten.....but these were more than just minor leaks.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Check the gaskets where the up pipes meet the manifolds. I had a drive pressure leak there and it would whine like a mofo

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
Mine did that.....revving in park or while moving, all the same......a whine that increased with more rpm. Sounded like loud turbo whine, the kind lots of people want. Boost leaks for me have been with a split boot, made kind of a whooshing noise and power would flatten.....but these were more than just minor leaks.

Not this scenario, no noise in park while applying throttle or at idle. It happens while driving in the lower rpm's. But I haven't had enough seat time to record all the conditions in which it occurs.

I'll be taking it to my diesel guy tonight, so I'll be taking notes.

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
Think we figured it out. Think it's the pass manifold or up-pipe. Gonna re-torque and and test again. the sound is clearly coming from the passenger side.