Stolen LLY in Colorado

Eddie_LLY

Jul 28, 2014
Colorado
Hi Guys, my 2005 CCSB 2500 SLT was stolen over the weekend. Appearance wise, in case somebody sees it, Silver Metallic Birch paint color, all of what came chrome from the factory has been blacked out, black louvered headache rack, stock PYO wheels powder coated gunmetal grey with the stock end caps painted to match with the GMC logos left intact. Newer style mirrors but aftermarket and with amber lights on the sides. Truck sits almost leveled by lowering the rear, still a slight bit of rake, and the rear wheel wells have black plastic mud protectors, not mud flaps, the wheel well inserts. Tires are cooper st maxx 255/85r16 so 33" tall.
Boulder Police Dept. Non-emergent# 303-441-3333 Case # 23-04983

In a more perfect world I'd be hoping to get the truck back, but realistically I need to deal with the insurance. The main question of this post is does anyone have advice, or threads to point me to, about how to do better with the insurance company with trucks that have upgraded parts?

Truck had a Limitless transmission with Evan's 1078, Danville 65mm turbo, Kennedy lift pumps, freshly done head gaskets + studs, injectors, water pump, CTS2 + backup camera, and a lot of more minor things. Interior was flawless, 126,XXX miles.
I've never dealt with auto insurance in any way, any advice you guys have got would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

321 WEB.jpg

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
It all depends on your insurer, but its my understanding that aftermarket parts are only covered to a certain amount, provided you have receipts and proof of them being on the truck. That is, if they cover them at all.

Really sorry to hear about your truck. Doubtful you get it back, but like 1trikHD found out, anything can happen. Good luck.

Reactions: wydopenLb7

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Only experience I’ve had is they aren’t going to pay anything for aftermarket parts. They might give you something if you recently did the head gaskets and also if you put new tires on.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Like the others said.

If you want aftermarket parts covered under your insurance policy then you need to have the policy include them. If you purchase a vehicle and then tell your insurance company this is what you want covered. Then you make modifications and add a bunch of different parts. Now you want insurance to automatically add the new value of the parts and modifications to the insurance without updating the policy or pricing.

I told you I have X but want you to pay me for Y

It sucks to have a vehicle stolen and I hope you get it back with no damages. But the chances are slim. Most don't want it back even if it's recovered due to the damage that is often done to them. I wish you the best in the outcome though

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
Mine was stolen from a shop, so I didn't have to get my insurance involved, but I would have if the other didn't take care of it. I used social media to get the word out and had the diesel community on IG in my area keep a look out for it.

Fortunately, the people who stole my truck used it for a while, stealing other stuff and enjoying the big single life. Luckily, I and about 5 buddies found it and took the law into our own hands since the police were much help and had bigger things to deal with.

Will someone find yours, who knows? I had a mile long list of stuff done to mine. The insurance company didn't really care about that at all. Pretty much just looked at what the value of a truck like mine was worth in the area and went from there.

Sorry about the truck being stolen. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
They go based on book value in your area for a Stock truck. So if the book says 18k for example in your area. That's what they will offer. You will have to pull comps in your area and show them you can't replace if for let's say 22k as an example. Broaden your search area as well and show you may have to travel to get a like comparable replacement. A good example is the California market. Also if you have receipts of the Extra work, you can use that as well to try and get the price up.

Their job is to settle the claim. They don't like giving extra money away if they don't have to.

Reactions: 1TRIKHD and 2004LB7

Eddie_LLY

Jul 28, 2014
Colorado
Thanks guys, the head gasket + injectors + water pump + turbo install job was done at Wade Boyd's shop and I've got that recent receipt, I've only had a chance to put 400 miles on it since then so very recent. Was a blast to drive, I'm sure the thieves are having a good time with it.

Do any of you guys know of similarly modded trucks that sold recently and what for? I know I'll never get a true apples to apples comparison but am thinking maybe any sort of comp would help? I probably sound like I'm grasping at straws here, and honestly that's pretty much how I feel.

This is sorta the first time I've ever wished I had social media, probably too little too late to spin one up solely for this. Not like a new account would have any friends or followers or anything.

Eddie_LLY

Jul 28, 2014
Colorado
They go based on book value in your area for a Stock truck. So if the book says 18k for example in your area. That's what they will offer. You will have to pull comps in your area and show them you can't replace if for let's say 22k as an example. Broaden your search area as well and show you may have to travel to get a like comparable replacement. A good example is the California market. Also if you have receipts of the Extra work, you can use that as well to try and get the price up.

Their job is to settle the claim. They don't like giving extra money away if they don't have to.
Thanks, good idea about the bigger market area, I saw a nice LB7 in texas on Autotrader. It'd be a blank slate starting over but I'm not going to find another all done up just the same way anyway.

Eddie_LLY

Jul 28, 2014
Colorado
Mine was stolen from a shop, so I didn't have to get my insurance involved, but I would have if the other didn't take care of it. I used social media to get the word out and had the diesel community on IG in my area keep a look out for it.

Fortunately, the people who stole my truck used it for a while, stealing other stuff and enjoying the big single life. Luckily, I and about 5 buddies found it and took the law into our own hands since the police were much help and had bigger things to deal with.

Will someone find yours, who knows? I had a mile long list of stuff done to mine. The insurance company didn't really care about that at all. Pretty much just looked at what the value of a truck like mine was worth in the area and went from there.

Sorry about the truck being stolen. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Thanks, I felt like I was acting a fool riding a bike around with my keys in my pocket but your story shows it can happen, not like these things can just up and fly away, where ever it's going its going on the road.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Thanks, good idea about the bigger market area, I saw a nice LB7 in texas on Autotrader. It'd be a blank slate starting over but I'm not going to find another all done up just the same way anyway.
There is a nice LBZ swapped 03 GMC just listed on here for sale.

Also you can use the Zip code of 92807 for Anaheim California when you are searching...

Reactions: 2004LB7

Eddie_LLY

Jul 28, 2014
Colorado
That’s great thanks, I’ll look it up when I get home. Just got to my Dr’s office to talk about my blood pressure…LOL New high score incoming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I just had a Mike L. trans installed a week before my Lbz was stolen the second time. And probably only had the truck back from the body shop after the first theft a couple weeks. Insurance got the trans bill and even the bill from the body shop they paid for haha the first time. I got $23,000 for it with 300,000+ miles on it. I think the KBB on it was only 14-16k. So definitely give them the receipts for all recent work and see what happens.

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
Sorry to hear about your truck, it sucks. Maybe in the meantime look into getting an apple air tag or something similar to place in all your vehicles. I hope in the end you get your truck back.

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
Definitely sorry to hear about the truck. I've know two guys get their trucks stolen. One was in the Lakewood area and the other was over by Broomfield. Both trucks turned up abandoned with significant mechanical and interior damage. One was found over by Auroa and the other was at a construction site down off Santa Fe. After talking to those guys it almost seems like a better situation if you don't get the truck back. Fighting with insurance to fix all the damage caused seemed more of a headache than replacing the truck.

Reactions: 2004LB7