Stolen duramax found

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
Hey everyone,
What a crazy 24hr this has been…I travel quite a bit for my construction job and have been leaving my LBZ at Denver International Airport.

Long story short: I land, walk to where I know my truck was parked and it was gone. Talk about a panic attack, I instantly call 911 and at this point figured it’s long gone as I’ve been out of state for a week.

I get a call today and an officer found my truck. All exterior lighting is gone (headlights, tail lights, fog, etc.) and door locked punched out and ignition was damaged. But other than that, the officer said it looks like it is in good shape and the robbers didn’t appear to start tearing into motor. Some fuses were missing and box tampered with but at first glance, doesn’t appear that any wiring was cut out. WHEW!

I haven’t seen the truck yet, but my questions to y’all is:

With having to replace ignition, and whatever associated parts on steering column, will this affect me with efilive? From what the officer said, everything in my center console was gone and that’s where I keep my autocal…

What a mess but please whoever reads this, invest in security system, and kill switches. I went back and forth on it for years and truly kick myself for not doing more to protect my investment that literally pays the bills for me. I know I am lucky compared to folks who’s trucks are chopped up and nothing is left but please protect your investment! It’s crazy now that I look and have googled crime, that how rampant auto theft (especially these pre 2010 trucks) are.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
That sucks to hear. but I think you will be ok. sounds like everything can be put back from insurance

if the ECM hasn't been touched then your tunes will be fine. if I'm not mistaken, the ignition switch and the associated sensors for the security is is just that. sensors, the actual security codes are stored in the ECM, BCM and possibly the cluster. the ignition is just a transponder to read the keys and sends the readings to the modules

Reactions: aaro9991

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
That sucks to hear. but I think you will be ok. sounds like everything can be put back from insurance

if the ECM hasn't been touched then your tunes will be fine. if I'm not mistaken, the ignition switch and the associated sensors for the security is is just that. sensors, the actual security codes are stored in the ECM, BCM and possibly the cluster. the ignition is just a transponder to read the keys and sends the readings to the modules

I appreciate that LB7. I’m just grateful that it was recovered! I will make sure to post pictures. What a whirlwind

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
This has happened to another member on here as well, maybe he will post something but who knows. Hopefully everything works out well for you

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
My Lbz didn’t have chipped keys. And my door lock and ignition weren’t damaged (the first time they stole it). They had a key that fit. We watched the guy cruising the parking lot checking doors. That sucks about your truck!!!

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
Yeah my keys are not chipped but officer told me that the ignition is damaged. But yeah I’m really bummed about it. I just am still so thankful they were able to find it tho!!! Most vehicles that are stolen are instantly chopped up and parted out

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
I will have dealership do repairs on the steering column and associated parts. As LB7 said, I hope it’s all good and nothing will affect ecm

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
My LBZ was stolen, evrything that you mentioned that got stolen, lights inside and out ect ect....
They punched my doot lock as well and f'd the ignition. I dont have chipped keys either. Some of my wires were cut in the fuse box, mostly for my gauges, nothing major though. Ecm and tcm were fine. Sucks they got your AutoCal, but as mentioned above tunes should be fine if the ECM wasnt messed with.

Mine was gone for a month and used to steal other stuff. I finally got mine back after 1000 harsh miles were put on it, a police chase, and some bent rods and a toasted built trans.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
Trik that is crazy. Did you have extra security on the truck?

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
I know your keys aren’t chipped but did you have like viper or anything else? I’m wondering if that’s the way to go or if I should do something along the lines of just pulling fuses if I park an extended amount of time

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
Trik that is crazy. Did you have extra security on the truck?

No but it will when it gets all back together. Onstar couldn't track it, because it had been turned off for so long. Crazy with the technology we have today, it was impossible to do. Guess they dont have the capabilities.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Another member turned me on to Compustar alarm systems. It has to be installed by a dealer to get the lifetime warranty. I have it on both trucks now and it has an app that you can download and monitor the vehicle. You pay for the service though.

I also installed the jimmy jammer door handle pieces to slow them down.

If your parking it for extended periods of time you can pull the relays in the fuse box under the hood.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I was looking into those too. When they tried taking my ‘02 they just yanked the door handle off. Luckily some laborers saw what was happening and scared the guy off.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I was looking into those too. When they tried taking my ‘02 they just yanked the door handle off. Luckily some laborers saw what was happening and scared the guy off.
They sure did a number on my buddies truck. He Epoxied the Door lock hole closed and removed the lock rod. They still broke the handle and attempted to get in. That set the OEM Alarm off when they tried grabbing the rods for the inside door handle.

They tried to get his dads truck too at the same time.

He saw them exiting the scene when he jumped up and ran out side to see what was going on.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Another member turned me on to Compustar alarm systems. It has to be installed by a dealer to get the lifetime warranty. I have it on both trucks now and it has an app that you can download and monitor the vehicle. You pay for the service though.

If your parking it for extended periods of time you can pull the relays in the fuse box under the hood.
I was thinking you could add a ball valve to the fuel line under the truck near the fuel cooler. engine will still turn over, maybe start for a second then stall. confuse them enough to move onto another vehicle

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
These are the pictures my buddy sent me the next day.

Attachments

• IMG_7482.jpg
    IMG_7482.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7483.jpg
    IMG_7483.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7484.jpg
    IMG_7484.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 33
  • Resized_2.jpg
    Resized_2.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Resized_2(2).jpg
    Resized_2(2).jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 33

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
I’ll post pics guys but they did a number to the door handle like above. I used a screw driver to turn truck on and it didn’t sound pretty either…they ran it hard and I’m afraid it may be a rebuild

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019

This is exactly what I need. I will be looking into this as soon as this crap gets sorted out. I had my door lock shimmed so it didn’t work either but whole bottom was broken out

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
0db00afb6f9790ea12854765f6756c5f.jpg

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
This is why I stopped driving my duramax down here (I work in Northern Colorado). I had a buddy who had his half ton chevy (04) stolen from Brighton, and another buddy found it at a construction site down in denver a week later. They destroyed the interior, swapped his rims and stole the cats. Exterior wasn't in too bad of shape. They just punched the driver lock on his.

Glad you got it back! If you need any help with it I have a V2 and am more than willing to help you out with it.