Stock injector size discussion...size matters

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
i guess im not grasping it. if you have to limit the fuel on an 06lly to match that of a 05lly does that not mean there was an increase of injector size? or what else was increased to give the bump in power but needed fuel to be limited to equal that of an 05lly?

James, I'm thinking with the same quantity of fuel an 06 LLY(LBZ) and an 05 LLY will make "similar" power. According to what Josh posted the 06 LLY(LBZ) will need a higher pulse width to deliver the same quantity of fuel as opposed to an 05 LLY. I'm also not taking into account turbo, heads, compression, etc.

Edit: Josh tree'd me.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
i see what your saying now.

now in regaurds to all that, i jsut found a thread Guy posted in about lpm measured between the LB7, LLY and LBZ using mpa and pw as a constant, is this comparable to the info above even though we have switched the constants?

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showpost.php?p=322446&postcount=21
It is still comparable and also surprising that the data shows the LLY to be the highest flowing, followed by the LB7, and finally the LBZ.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thats what im saying!

out of all the searching, ive only found the actual injector nozzle hole size via Mcrat from 2008. Then another thread that Mcrat then stated the LB7 is only .00004 bigger (i may be a 0 off, lost the thread again lol)

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
thats what im saying!

out of all the searching, ive only found the actual injector nozzle hole size via Mcrat from 2008. Then another thread that Mcrat then stated the LB7 is only .00004 bigger (i may be a 0 off, lost the thread again lol)
Yeah, McRat posted the measurement info in that thread you linked earlier not too many posts after Guy posted the flow rate info.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So other than the fact we know LB7 is the largest, there is no conclusive evidence on where the LLY/LBZ/LMM lay size wise, correct?

i think we need a new thread :D. im now pretty damn interested to know just whats what

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
So other than the fact we know LB7 is the largest, there is no conclusive evidence on where the LLY/LBZ/LMM lay size wise, correct?

i think we need a new thread :D. im now pretty damn interested to know just whats what
I don't know. I'm confused now because the info Guy posted says the LLY injectors flow the most. I think a new thread would be great. Maybe I'll spin this off into a new thread since it has nothing to do with running 13s.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don't know. I'm confused now because the info Guy posted says the LLY injectors flow the most. I think a new thread would be great. Maybe I'll spin this off into a new thread since it has nothing to do with running 13s.

i second this motion!

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Hey guys I can tell ya when I test them on a mack bench the lly and lb7 deliver more fuel abd the spec is higher. Than lbz than lmm.
Also after media hone a 45% lb7 or lly delivers a good bit more.
Just my experience.
But at last iirc we can visit our friends at industrial.
They post 15 and 30 over and calculate the liters per hour out.
So if annyone looks there that might tell us something

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland

I agree with guy on this
Plus lly have the biggest turbo
Whuch makes them yhe best duramax ever.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Wow. You are making yourself look dumber in every post by trying to prove me wrong when you don't even know anything. Like stated above, lly injectors are the smallest of them all. Also I never said my tunes are better than robs, jut said mine are a little stouter. You really need to learn how to read. And I know what table to adjust for rail pressure (which is not what we are talking about, it's rail valve flow) I was thinking they where adjusting a different table. Ill be sure to send you a pic of my slip next time I go to the track bud.
haha sounds good man!!

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
So Josh, does the flow rate go Lb7, lly, lbz, lmm as the lb7 has the hightest lpm % ? I agree based off of US tables on what your first post said but not so sure after reading this thread.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I got flow data from Exergy and iirc this was the info on nozzle flow-
LB7 1150ml/min
LLy 1050ml/min
LBZ 1000ml/min
LMM 950ml/min

Interesting part is that the LMM's flow the same as the LBZ during a timed flow test because the internal reacts faster even though the nozzle flows less.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I got flow data from Exergy and iirc this was the info on nozzle flow-
LB7 1150ml/min
LLy 1050ml/min
LBZ 1000ml/min
LMM 950ml/min

Interesting part is that the LMM's flow the same as the LBZ during a timed flow test because the internal reacts faster even though the nozzle flows less.
Thanks for sharing that with us, Mark. I'm assuming this is all at the same pressure for each nozzle? Is that flowing the nozzle by itself or on the body? That's some very interesting info on the LBZ/LMM timed flow testing.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I remember harvey and greg talking about larger fuel sacs near the tip.
Less pressure drop when the pintle move off taper seat.
Such as in piezeo less us is spent opening and closing more time spraying fuel

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you look at the stock pulse width tables, you can actually see this. It looks like the higher flowing nozzle of the LBZ overcomes the quicker reacting body of the LMM injectors somewhere between 10 and 20 mm3 of fuel quantity. At the same pressure and fuel quantity, the LMM has a shorter pulse width until 20 mm3. From that point forward, the LBZ has a shorter pulse width.