Speaking of poverty

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to Smoke Signals. Its Banks....IMO, none of that will ever actually help the Duramax community in general.

Dura_Rook

Nov 7, 2021
Did you by chance watch this video? It appears Banks has already help GM and is working to implement the cam, springs and pushrods into GM production lines.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Did you by chance watch this video? It appears Banks has already help GM and is working to implement the cam, springs and pushrods into GM production lines.

We know the history of banks, my man. Sadly, the way he turned against some diesel leaders/innovators because he "thought" he knew what was going on, really turned alot of people off. He makes alot of claims, some are backed up, some are just fluff

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

Don't get me wrong, I do like quite a few of the Banks products, but I do feel like he is just blowing some smoke. I do wonder if what he's asking them to impliment is in his line of engines that are used for military/crate customers and not the engines slated for GM's production line since the engines are made at DMax LTD then shipped to GM.

There is no real need or benefit to GM by changing the cam/springs/pushrods over what they already have as it isn't a failure point. I do certainly agree that there is room for improvement (this can be said for any platform) but I just don't see us seeing reasonable gains this way (unless his cam is somehow made from diamonds and makes miles more average power/torque). Gale mainly works on military/crate-style engines and does not need to be bothered with the emissions lifespan or warranty concerns that may arise over 100k miles.

Gale also gets to spend all of his time on an engine dyno where he makes bold claims. Has his L5P they're working on made impressive HP? Sure, but at one set RPM by slowly adding load which we all know is 100% not realistic. There will be RPM swings from shifts, RPM swings from simply running through that specific gear while increasing vehicle speed (IE running from the bottom of 4th to the top of 4th). What's more impressive are the guys out there beating the shit out of them in trucks day-in-day-out.

Reactions: Dozerboy and dndj

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Don't get me wrong, I do like quite a few of the Banks products, but I do feel like he is just blowing some smoke. I do wonder if what he's asking them to impliment is in his line of engines that are used for military/crate customers and not the engines slated for GM's production line since the engines are made at DMax LTD then shipped to GM.

There is no real need or benefit to GM by changing the cam/springs/pushrods over what they already have as it isn't a failure point. I do certainly agree that there is room for improvement (this can be said for any platform) but I just don't see us seeing reasonable gains this way (unless his cam is somehow made from diamonds and makes miles more average power/torque). Gale mainly works on military/crate-style engines and does not need to be bothered with the emissions lifespan or warranty concerns that may arise over 100k miles.

Gale also gets to spend all of his time on an engine dyno where he makes bold claims. Has his L5P they're working on made impressive HP? Sure, but at one set RPM by slowly adding load which we all know is 100% not realistic. There will be RPM swings from shifts, RPM swings from simply running through that specific gear while increasing vehicle speed (IE running from the bottom of 4th to the top of 4th). What's more impressive are the guys out there beating the shit out of them in trucks day-in-day-out.
What is the video?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
What is the video?

In one of Gale's videos (more recent), he talks about the various cams he designed with Comp for L5P, pushrods they had Trend do, and valve springs (I believe Comp did them as well?). Gale also stated he is trying to get them onto the production line. If he means into GM's vehicle plant or just on the Dmax LTD line for his engines I do not know.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
His diff covers work unlike the other after market covers that send the fluid to the wrong place.

DuramaxRamRod

Oct 11, 2014
NH
They did change it for the L5P https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/threads/l5p-lifter-failure.87885/