Sound coming from airbox.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
How can those hold downs be called billet? They look cast.

Maybe I missed it, what's wrong with the stock hold downs?

I feel your pain, had to rip into mine a few times, not a nice job by any means.
They certainly are billet, if you read the thread it calls out very critical flaws in heat treatment that explains the large grain structure.

Stock hold-downs are not the greatest for holding power and can stretch bolts or break/bend hold-downs (or both). While he won't be making that kind of power he wanted to take the "belt and suspenders" approach so he never had a problem in the future.

Reactions: turbovan

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
They certainly are billet, if you read the thread it calls out very critical flaws in heat treatment that explains the large grain structure.

Stock hold-downs are not the greatest for holding power and can stretch bolts or break/bend hold-downs (or both). While he won't be making that kind of power he wanted to take the "belt and suspenders" approach so he never had a problem in the future.
I did read the thread, saw it all, hence my question. Looked up billet as well, guess I misunderstood what billet was.

Understand the belt and suspenders approach, sucks when you do that and still have issues. :(

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
Well, figured I'd come in here to give this thread a closing. The entire issue was the SCD hold-downs.

I installed new billet hold-downs from Industrial Injection and the truck fired right up. This time, no smoke from the PCV or oil filler neck and no loud tapping noises from inside the head.

So there you have it. Socal Diesel billet injector hold-downs are hot garbage until they resolve their heat treatment issue.

Now to go and make a new thread about my new issues.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: