SoCal Diesel Billet Valve Covers

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
We designed the valve covers to use the factory grommets. The grommets set the proper pre-load for the valve cover gasket.

A catch can with a breather on it is the best option for oil vapor right now. I haven't seen any baffled breathers that are aesthetically pleasing. Has anybody else?

Guy, do you know of a large enough catch can to run both sides into or should I get two of the small Mishimoto ones and do one on each side? Other then that I love them and they really look custom and dress up these engines nicely.

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
Fill a catch can in a few short drives?!!!

Sounds like excessive blow by?

I also have been thInking of some sort of baffle in the lines just to assure nothing will get in. Maybe some sort of mesh screen?

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
I had the same issue with oil coming out of mine. I WAS coming off the valve cover with a 90 and going down from there. I changed it, still have the 90 but the hose is angled up toward the top of the engine some to catch any oil that may be slung up threw the hole. I have no oil in my catch cans since changing it.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Fill a catch can in a few short drives?!!!

Sounds like excessive blow by?

I also have been thInking of some sort of baffle in the lines just to assure nothing will get in. Maybe some sort of mesh screen?

Re read it, it says short amount of time not short drives lol.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
We just finished a run of red and black anodized versions for those that were interested in different colors.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
We designed the valve covers to use the factory grommets. The grommets set the proper pre-load for the valve cover gasket.

A catch can with a breather on it is the best option for oil vapor right now. I haven't seen any baffled breathers that are aesthetically pleasing. Has anybody else?

On the Nova I use two 1" vent holes (1 on each side) going to two 1.5 qt catch cans with a filter on top of the cans. I've upped them to 1 1/2 this season because I'm pretty sure 1" isn't large enough when shit hits the fan. When Rob had wall contact, we lost two pistons and I'm pretty sure lifted at least one head. The pressure popped the rear main seal out, and bulged the flat bottom of the pan 3", even with the two breathers. I've also built a retainer around the rear seal to hold it in place, that accident could have been much worse, thankfully it was not.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 78

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
I've been trying to figure out a way to keep the factory sleeve type washers but keep a clean look and I may have stumbled into something that will work. Figured I'd run it by the pros before hand.

Take the factory washers and trim all the rubber underneath the head of the washer. Thus moving the flat portion closer to the valve cover surface. Then trim the backside of the "shank" portion to make up the difference. Ideas?

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
They should be doing this with a radius to accept ORB fittings. NPT is ugly and who wants to run teflon tape on these things. You will get seepage with pipe thread eventually.

They can be machined any way the customer wants. We had to start somewhere and everybody is familiar with NPT. :hug:

I've been trying to figure out a way to keep the factory sleeve type washers but keep a clean look and I may have stumbled into something that will work. Figured I'd run it by the pros before hand.

Take the factory washers and trim all the rubber underneath the head of the washer. Thus moving the flat portion closer to the valve cover surface. Then trim the backside of the "shank" portion to make up the difference. Ideas?

Looks good to me. :thumb:

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
You could always just use the loctite thread sealant for the NPT threads. Clean off the excess when you get your fittings in there. No Teflon showing at all. :thumb: