SoCal 9200 cam

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
We are planning on going through Richard's motor to fix some problems and upgrade some parts before he goes back to Denver for the DPC. One of the things we are considering is changing the 9100 cam out in favor of a 9200. Does anyone have back to back experience with both cams or even been around a truck that had a 9200 cam? One of the things we are concerned about is hurting how well the turbos spool. The 9100 cam really brings boost up pretty quick, and when you are at 8000 ft DA, that can make things difficult sometimes. Guy and Lorenzo told us the 9200 would lose some of the spooling characteristics, but they couldn't give us much in the way of exactly how much it would affect it. We don't want to run into an issue where we can't get on top of the chargers.

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
Any info would be appreciated. We are very competitive as we sit, but there is always room to grow.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
are you sticking with the same converter/stall?
That's open for suggestion as well. Would rather not have to do another reinstall but we will it it's necessary. Havent had much seat time in a good track scenario to see how this J will 60ft at the track regardless.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if you were on edge before, id just up the converter stall close to the same amount the 9200 moves the power band from before.

or you can see if you can con Evan into letting you try the new converter dump valve for the allison, no need for a re-stall then. hasnt been released to the public from what i saw on his FB post.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
From what my understanding of the 9200 is, IMO you're better off with the 9100 and the J you have now. The J is a fair bit of stall but it couples so damn well I don't think you'll see a reduction in 60ft times. The next converter above that would be an AR which is ~3400 stall and I believe overkill for the charger's on the truck.

Based on the way the truck ran and PW you were giving it, I don't think you guys are out of air yet but more so reaching the ideal limit of that injector size and as you found out the limitation in the block itself. If you'd have turned on the big stage it would have been an impressive number but would have been an even more impressive mess to deal with during DPC.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
From what my understanding of the 9200 is, IMO you're better off with the 9100 and the J you have now. The J is a fair bit of stall but it couples so damn well I don't think you'll see a reduction in 60ft times. The next converter above that would be an AR which is ~3400 stall and I believe overkill for the charger's on the truck.

Based on the way the truck ran and PW you were giving it, I don't think you guys are out of air yet but more so reaching the ideal limit of that injector size and as you found out the limitation in the block itself. If you'd have turned on the big stage it would have been an impressive number but would have been an even more impressive mess to deal with during DPC.

I think the LL is higher stall than the J, but I don't think it is over 3400. I'm not 100% sure the cracked block doesn't have something to do with losing water pressure from a failed water pump. I agree on the injector; we will be stepping up on injector size as well. I think we have a pretty good game plan to make some improvements without taking away too much from our strong areas.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I think the LL is higher stall than the J, but I don't think it is over 3400. I'm not 100% sure the cracked block doesn't have something to do with losing water pressure from a failed water pump. I agree on the injector; we will be stepping up on injector size as well. I think we have a pretty good game plan to make some improvements without taking away too much from our strong areas.

If you guys don't change the valley charger I cannot think of a reason to jump away from the J. The J is the best coupling high stall converter available from Goerend. I'll send you over some data I received from Goerend on dynamics inside the converters (J vs AR vs Q).

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
At Richard's power level I would just stick with a stocker. Those baby twins wont flow enough to benefit from big boy cams.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Are you going to engine dyno?

My thoughts are you won't know till you try, unless you are dynoing. Just have to accept the fact that you might have to put the 9100 back in with the engine in the truck.(not fun)

Caleb swapped cams a while ago without removing heads. Used 16 pen magnets to hold lifters up.
b8dbce50a69780391d1be27fba40632c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk