So, Why Oval?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Jon, we know. That should be enough. Thanks for all you've done to help everyone.

Hogue is a pox.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Pretty much everything he says is wrong. Why do you think his dragster lives on jack stands. I dropped off my replacement piston with the machinist today, thanks Jon.

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Breathe. :)

Obviously the trade off between real-world survivability and unmeasurable, theoretical efficiency was lost there. Not unexpected for one with a narcissistic personality disorder.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Jon, we know. That should be enough. Thanks for all you've done to help everyone.

Hogue is a pox.

I'll echo what Tom said.

When it comes time to buy a set of Pistons for my rig I know what I'll be buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I went with ovals cause they are PROVEN. Have been pushed to the limits. With updates of failures and what caused them. Also the price is great for what they are.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Hogue is the biggest f'n retard I think we have ever had to deal with period. We run your Oval bowls for a reason, they work! We are running 8.5xx's at 161mph @4500+lbs on cast oval bowl pistons without a single issue! No one else would ever even think about running a cast piston at this kinda power range but they do exactly what they are designed to do! Thanks Jon for a great idea that has proven to work in the real world!:thumb::hug:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The concept of the oval bowl and why it was created and is widely used is lost on him apparently. He'll probably invent it in a few years then it will be a great idea.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I commented and said (in a short way) what mark said and Greg told me the oval was a "sales gimmick". I asked how known strength and durability was a gimmick. Then the thread was closed lol.

I wanted to hear Gregs response so bad.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
I don't understand why the mods haven't kicked him off the site yet. I hate people that act the way he does. For him to say something about oval bowl pistons and say they are a gimmick!?!? I'm embarrassed just by living in the same state as him! Jon, I've been running ur Pistons for awhile now, nowhere near as much power as Brett or some of the sled pullers, and I love that I can hammer on it and not have to worry about the Pistons giving up!!! Great work.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Greggy didnt think of the design therefor his narcissistic self must discredit the designs ability, so he can feel better about himself.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I've been running ovals in my truck (set #1) for about 5 years now. I've lost track of the mileage. Somewhere north of 30K miles. Other early adopters have gone much further pushing them much harder.

The only piston failures to date have been to the upper ring land as I have posted before. Never a crack across the top. I feel the failure is avoidable with proper warm up of the pistons before going to ludicrous power and is only an issue with the cast pistons with the oil gallery right behind the ring land.

The jury is still out on economy. The pistons are rarely in a pure stock application. Even so, I know that they do not absorb heat as fast as stock bowl pistons.

Lastly, what I don't talk about much is that several of the same piston manufacturers that he is dealing with, approached me at one time or another wanting to produce oval bowls.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
The funny part is Hogue really doesn't understand the purpose, his rail is always broke down from one failure or another. I can only imagine if he pulled his head out of his ass and built something that's actually reliable.