So I limped it

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
I limped mine tons and it totally destroyed doing a very high boost launch at the track, oh well i had the kit already, but ya just turn the power down / off and drive it nicer, dont mash it in the higher gears

DeMax LB7

Bowtie Child
Dec 11, 2011
Rice Lake,WI
haha id hate to know how many "limps" i have on my trans. i have finally bashed out the c3 i believe i have to let off at 30 and let it shift and than get back into it. shes holding strong been like that for 2 months. just buyin time till i got the full amount to get it done once and right!

BackNBlackTJ

Ahhh, yeah... about that!
Dec 22, 2009
Arid-zona
I put lots of miles on each week so I don't want to have this thing leave me stranded somewhere... since it can't even get up an on ramp without throwing codes. 270K on the stock internals, so I got my monies worth out of it.

Besides, it's more fun driving the GMC instead, because it has the big tune in it... :thumb:

DeMax LB7

Bowtie Child
Dec 11, 2011
Rice Lake,WI
hahah. well i tried on mine. but my front end couldnt handle it at the time. but my shitbag of a trans did alright but i shut it down early cause i knew the frontend was buckling up. i guess i dont know what shape your trans is in but mine as stated before isnt too hot and it did fine on my big tune.

BackNBlackTJ

Dec 22, 2009
Arid-zona
Change the spin on. Think you have serious problems here.

I had the trans serviced at a local shop and changed the spin-on (they didn't want to change it :blah: gave some lip service about the factory doesn't recommend changing it)

**note to self... don't take s#it back to them**

Mike, I'm looking for a time to get this truck in your shop... Looking at 2/20... 2/23 or 2/24

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Anyone that recomends you not change the spin on is hoping you'll bring it to them when the trans is dead. I change mine at least every third oil change 15k. This is probably overkill but there just too cheap not to change often.

cmjensen86

Oct 25, 2011
Clovis, CA "fresno"
What exactly is the spin? I am new to the forums and was wondering how much the fuel filter generally cost and approx time to change it also the "spin as well"?

Anyone that recomends you not change the spin on is hoping you'll bring it to them when the trans is dead. I change mine at least every third oil change 15k. This is probably overkill but there just too cheap not to change often.

BackNBlackTJ

Dec 22, 2009
Arid-zona
What exactly is the spin? I am new to the forums and was wondering how much the fuel filter generally cost and approx time to change it also the "spin as well"?

Allison has 2 filters... one internal inside the pan like other AutoTrans, and one external that looks like a really small engine oil filter. If I'm not mistaken they are for different size particle filtering (one has larger filter media that the other) Mike would know more on that...

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
The spin on is a small filter on the outside, looks just like a mini oil filter. They cost less than $10.00 and can be changed in less than five minutes. They dont hold much fluid, you can probably change the filter about 3 times before adding a quart back. And I'm pretty sure it filters finer particles than the internal does.

BackNBlackTJ

Dec 22, 2009
Arid-zona
Mike is currently working his magic... ol' dually made it to SoCal last night under her own power... only limped once coming across ocotillo when I got cut off going up hill and had to get on the skinny pedal to get back up to speed. Quick reset at the top of the hill and we were rolling again. Sure will be nice to get back into my truck. The 03' with the big tune is nice, don't get me wrong but I miss my beat down / fits like an ol' pair of sneakers truck. Yeah it might be an 04' but it's put in a lot of work since I bought it...