So I limped it

BackNBlackTJ

Ahhh, yeah... about that!
Dec 22, 2009
Arid-zona
I limped my 04' big time yesterday, can't say I'm overly surprised... it's got 265k on the stock internals and I'm not nice to it.

I ducked out of a line of trucks to pass them, when I matted the throttle the truck accelerated hard then it felt like it dropped anchor, the RPM jumped up, but the throttle felt flat, the check engine lit up, and the DIC said "range shift disabled". After I got it off the highway and shut it down, it shifted and ran fine but I wasn't pushing it either.

When I pulled the codes, there was 0700 = Trans Controler Sys. error / 0735 = Fifth gear ratio error...

How long do I have?
I probably won't be able to get it out to Mike until January...

:(:(:(

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
dude i limped my tranny over 50 times. its not the end of the world. it just gets a little weaker every time you limp it.:thumb:

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
dont worry too much. just ease up on her and you will be good for a while. but it will be easier to limp now

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I limped my 04' big time yesterday, can't say I'm overly surprised... it's got 265k on the stock internals and I'm not nice to it.

I ducked out of a line of trucks to pass them, when I matted the throttle the truck accelerated hard then it felt like it dropped anchor, the RPM jumped up, but the throttle felt flat, the check engine lit up, and the DIC said "range shift disabled". After I got it off the highway and shut it down, it shifted and ran fine but I wasn't pushing it either.

When I pulled the codes, there was 0700 = Trans Controler Sys. error / 0735 = Fifth gear ratio error...

How long do I have?
I probably won't be able to get it out to Mike until January...

:(:(:(

Drop the power down and start showing the Alli some love.:hug::D

BackNBlackTJ

Dec 22, 2009
Arid-zona
Drop the power down and start showing the Alli some love.:hug::D

Me and my heavy right foot are coming to see you soon for another trans... Not going as big on this trans, not as much power in this truck... it's mainly my daily money maker and towrig, spends most of it's life hooked to a trailer.

:thumb:

08dmaxltz

Oct 6, 2010
Hey guys. This is my first diesel and my trans seems to shift weird. I don't know anyone with another diesel so I don't know if it's normal or not. Every time I mash the throttle it takes forever to change gears. I did some research here and I guess it's called a "flare shift" ??? Is that the same as limping or does it go to neutral when it limps?? I am all stock except edge cts. It doesn't show any codes and I have done the
Relearn a couple of times. Will the transgo jr help or am I in need of a rebuild??
Thanks guys.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Hey guys. This is my first diesel and my trans seems to shift weird. I don't know anyone with another diesel so I don't know if it's normal or not. Every time I mash the throttle it takes forever to change gears. I did some research here and I guess it's called a "flare shift" ??? Is that the same as limping or does it go to neutral when it limps?? I am all stock except edge cts. It doesn't show any codes and I have done the
Relearn a couple of times. Will the transgo jr help or am I in need of a rebuild??
Thanks guys.
Have you drove around normal on every level with the edge for at least 50 miles through town per level?

08dmaxltz

Oct 6, 2010
I haven't replaced it yet. Do you think the fuel filter could affect the transmission? I just finished changing the oils. Tcase,engine,trans,diffs

Yes I have left the edge on 3 for about 3,000 miles.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Throttle position is off with a dirty fuel filter, this in turn makes your trans shift bad. If I forget to turn my liftpump on and run my truck hard on the race tune it drains the fuel rail and shifts terrible.

BackNBlackTJ

Dec 22, 2009
Arid-zona
Mike can explain it better,

but basically the trans controller goes in to a failsafe (limp mode) when problems occur, for instance I severely over torqued 5th gear going up hill passing semis at WOT and limped 5th gear...

it actually felt almost like the trans downshifted, it's hard to explain... it went from pulling hard to bearly able to maintain speed in an instant...

Closest thing I can equate it to, was when I drove trucks I actually had a pressure plate go soft on me, it slipped the clutch on and off for 4-5 miles before the clutch completely can apart on me... power was available but I just couldn't apply it.

Last edited:

Dirtymax03

Oct 28, 2011
Ma
Short answer is it takes power away from the engine and make the trany so the trany doesent burn clutches and stuff if that helps

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
it actually felt almost like the trans downshifted, it's hard to explain... it went from pulling hard to bearly able to maintain speed in an instant...

It felt like it downshifted because it did. When the TCM detected the slip in 5th, it downshifted to 3rd and locked it there until you cycled the ignition.

08dmaxltz

Oct 6, 2010
Thanks guys!!! Just changed the fuel filter and wow! It drives like a completely different truck!!! The guy before me must have
Never changed it!

Thanks again!
And sorry to the OP I wasn't trying to hijack (thought my tranny was going)

BackNBlackTJ

Dec 22, 2009
Arid-zona
So Thursday I done it again...

Damn-it :(

this time I wasn't standing on it, I was just steady throttle on a long on-ramp...

might be time to park it till I can get out to Mike for a re-build...

Yesterday morning I finally got a chance to mess with the truck... been driving my GMC the last couple days...

pulled codes 0843, 0875, 0700, 0735...

700 and 735 I'm familiar with the other two I had to look up...

What does....

-843-"Trans fluid pressure sensor/switch A circ HI"
and
-875-"Trans fluid pressure sensor/switch D circ" mean?