So close to my goal....

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Hmm I would have thought he would have got you thinking that you dont need a lift pump in the first place. Mike is saying the same as me, as long as you dont have a fuel vaccum right at the cp3 inlet then you HAVE FUEL. 17 psi is no better than 1 psi.

Ha, Killerbee did tell me that I needed a lift pump at the beginning of his first tuning. On the 2nd different tune he said it did not need one and it was draining the rail pressure. I knew he was whacked so I added in one and it solved the problem. He still cant figure out why the rail pressure is draining without a lift pump, it drains like a mofo when you hit WOT down to 3k bad. Strange thing was it never popped a low rail pressure code without a lift pump.

I'm not going to get another tune from him, gunna get a better tuning from a well known tuner or probably learn how to do it myself. Either way will work if someone can have the patience of teaching me how to do it.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Is there any way you can measure that there is no fuel vacuum at the CP3? I would like to know if it should be left alone but turn the idle pressure down to 10 psi.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
If your fuel pressure gauge is showing positive pressure than there isnt goin to be any vaccum unless you have a very clogged filter

Fuel filter has been changed about 200 miles ago. Can I measure this restriction at the fitting under the hood at the front of the engine or does it has to be after the lift pump but before the cp3?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I'm not sure on how the lines run (if the schrader valve is before or after fuel filter) How much pulse are you running? How low is low rp for you?

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Not sure on the RP or the pulse width. He never told or showed me his tuning parameters. I would like to know what they are set at. I think he set it at 3200 us which seems to be way to wide for me. Not exactly sure on the pulse width. I will find out whenever I get my own EFI setup. That's going to have to wait till next year after I get hitched.

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Just for an FYI, I pulled my dirty ass stock filter when I was on the dyno and gained a whoppin 2hp with no filter. So if yours was new then you might not have gotten much more power.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That Bartling dyno is stingy..:D

I'm guessing you don't have any logs from your runs?

i htink its better than AZ dyno chip. its hard to get max boost out of my stock charger at their dyno where as ive heard its much better at bartlings. Yet to go to them so i cant say they are any better :D

BTW, im pretty sure shane at wicked posted something in his vendor section about lift pump pressures and CP3 and what works better. May be something different than what we are talkin about here but i dont think so

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
Ok, so maybe stingy is the wrong word. Slippery?

I was only able to get outta there with a tire spinning 588hp... :angel:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ok, so maybe stingy is the wrong word. Slippery?

I was only able to get outta there with a tire spinning 588hp... :angel:

haha i wish that were my case but come on brandon,, you know that truck has maybe only seen that power on the street maybe 10 times :rofl: :hug:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm not sure on how the lines run (if the schrader valve is before or after fuel filter) How much pulse are you running? How low is low rp for you?
The test port next to the alternator is between the filter and the CP3. Also, if you put your gauge sending unit in the bleed port on the stock filter head it will give post filter readings also.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
That Bartling dyno is stingy..:D

I'm guessing you don't have any logs from your runs?

I do have logs from my dyno run but no EFI logs. My paper is at work right now. I'll post it tomorrow. It does have some flaws that needs to be corrected.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
The test port next to the alternator is between the filter and the CP3. Also, if you put your gauge sending unit in the bleed port on the stock filter head it will give post filter readings also.

Thanks. I already knew where the test port was but was not sure if it was pre or post filtered. The test fitting is post filtered so that's what I need to know. I will have to disconnect the fuel pump line because it is not a free flow so it will create vacuum. I don't have the right fuel pressure tester for the Dmax, need to get one. Anyone know where to get one?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Thanks. I already knew where the test port was but was not sure if it was pre or post filtered. The test fitting is post filtered so that's what I need to know. I will have to disconnect the fuel pump line because it is not a free flow so it will create vacuum. I don't have the right fuel pressure tester for the Dmax, need to get one. Anyone know where to get one?

Kennedy diesel sells one that plugs right into the schrader valve but there pretty pricey. $200 I think. Where is your fuel pressure gauge plumbed. If the pressure gauge is before the filter and your getting 8 psi its flowing pretty good at WOT if it was clogging the presure would go up, and the flow volume would decrease

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Kennedy diesel sells one that plugs right into the schrader valve but there pretty pricey. $200 I think. Where is your fuel pressure gauge plumbed. If the pressure gauge is before the filter and your getting 8 psi its flowing pretty good at WOT if it was clogging the presure would go up, and the flow volume would decrease

Scott at Bartling plugged up the fuel pressure gauge on the test port and had it WOT, it dropped to 8psi after the filter. His gauge maxed out at 10psi so I have more than 10psi but not sure how much though. I just looked at my manual for the lift pump, it is a 140 gph and seems to be set between 12 to 14 psi. I will have to buy a fuel pressure regulator and turn it down to 10 psi. Might as well buy a fuel pressure gauge for inside the cab to keep an eye on it. Is there a gauge that also measures rail pressure that I can mount in the cab? I like to keep my eye on everything to ensure it is working as it should be.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
PPE and diprocal made a rail pressure gauge. I think Diprocal went out of bussiness recently and I think they made them for PPE. It may have been Isspro I'm not sure. Good luck as they may be hard to find one now :(

Last edited:

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Ah that sucks. I wanted to know if Autometer makes them, I don't like to mix and match. Looks like PPE makes them but they look plain boring to me. I think Isspro still makes them, I still see them online.