Sled Pulling Hitches-Outside the Frame!!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I have a small problem. I want to sled pull.
I want to pull my holiday trailer to and from the pulls.
I want to be sure that I will still have a hitch on my truck to get the trailer home after I pull.
The answer-a custom built aftermarket super re-enforced hitch.
The problem-I have a 35" MT for a spare tire which I transport where my stock one was.
The soloution I require-I need some sort of a design, which allows me to retain my spare tire in it's current location, and be strong enough to haul a sled. My spare clears my rear diff by about 1/2" with the other end pushed up tight to the back of the stock reciever so there is NO room to have a hitch that bolts between the frame rails.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of design I can build that will meet my needs? I was thinking about something that would mount to the outside of the frame rail. If I need to lose the bumper and go with a roll pan, I can do that.
Thanks all!:D

GRAYAREA

Who's this REDNECK TEXAN
Jun 29, 2007
The hitch that i posted pics of in the Q&A thread goes in between the frame rails behind the crossmember that is holding your spare tire then you cover it with a nice roll pan and he uses a normal receiver tube so a normal hitch will slide right in

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Dale, do you still have your factory hitch in place? If so why not just use it? The factory hitches I have seen break, bust at the welds where the tube mounts to the bracket (it almost rolls the hitch downwards). If you have a little room weld in some gussets that will comform around the spare

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I could try the factory re-enforced if you guys think it will hold. It would be the quickest and easiest.

That one in the pic Grayarea, when installed, does it fit farther back under the box than the stocker? If it does, I can't use it. If it is the same or allows more clearance front to back, I may be able to do something with it. Side to side, I should be ok as I have about 3" between the exhaust and tire right now. But, the 35" spare is tight to the back of the stocker. I am not opposed to removing the bumper and running a roll pan.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Dale, do you still have your factory hitch in place? If so why not just use it? The factory hitches I have seen break, bust at the welds where the tube mounts to the bracket (it almost rolls the hitch downwards). If you have a little room weld in some gussets that will comform around the spare

You arent kidding about that. My stocker is bent down slightly from the three pulls I did last year. I bought a Putnam XDR, was going to install that, but a buddy traded me his old Reese Titan for a 6-disc radio I had lying around. Gotta sell that Putnam now.

Gray area, does that hitch sit below the stock bumper or would it exit where the license plate is? I thought about making something that exited in the license hole, but not sure if its do-able. Just trying to get an idea of it, as thats a sweet hitch setup.

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
GrayAreas hitch exits where the license plate would be. I am around this truck almost every week-end during the summer.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
GrayAreas hitch exits where the license plate would be. I am around this truck almost every week-end during the summer.

But it can't be used with the stock bumper if I remember right. because they were going to take mine off and I wouldn't let them. We argued about it for a week because I wouldn't do the roll pan thing, so I bought a tow beast.:D

It is higher and a lot further forward than the stock hitch so the 35 wouldn't fit in the factory location.
If your not opposed to running a roll pan those hitches are the shiznit. They are the cleanest and strongest I have seen anywhere. I'd have one in a heartbeat, but I'm not parting with my bumper for anyone.:D

Last edited:

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
But it can't be used with the stock bumper if I remember right. because they were going to take mine off and I wouldn't let them. We argued about it for a week because I wouldn't do the roll pan thing, so I bought a tow beast.:D

It is higher and a lot further forward than the stock hitch so the 35 wouldn't fit in the factory location.

Your probably right now that i think about it. You would have too cut the bumper out behind the license plate mounting area to hook up but could reinstall the plate and the hitch would be in "stealth mode" until the next pull...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Simon got a roll pan for his 01 but it isn't on yet. I hope it fits.
Were you talking about Grayarea's hitch being forward much further Kevin?
Has anyone got any pics of a re-enforced stocker?

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Were you talking about Grayarea's hitch being forward much further Kevin?

Yeah Dale, his is a lot further forward and higher too. It is made so a hitch that is straight is right at 26in. off the ground with a stock height truck. So the bulk of the receiver and the reinforcement is up where the spare tire would be on a stock one.
It goes right on the bottom of the frame rails, with the receiver tube on top of it and it comes right out in the license plate hole of a roll pan. You could put a plate on it and cover it up completely.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
By looking at it, could it be extended?
Would it still clear the roll pan if so?
I need to see some good installed pics-if anything to get an idea on how I should build a custom one.

GRAYAREA

Who's this REDNECK TEXAN
Jun 29, 2007
The old girl should be home this weekend and i'll get some pics of it .

Shes getting a Goerend tranny ,Be gone with the ATS