signs of a failing cp3?

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
I'm starting to get this weird surging when under normal acceleration...yesterday merging onto traffic it acted like it was fueling out.. Full throttle on the hot tune, around 45lbs of boost and it was barely gaining speed from 45mph to about 65. No smoke, sounded fine...just no power. This morning it took off like a raped ape..Its the stock cp3 w/235XXX miles. Stock sticks and an fass 150.
Ideas?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Sounds like a bad regulator. Do yourself a favor and replace the whole pump though. With that many miles, and the money and time you will wrap up in changing just the regulator I would just do it all at once and be done.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Not a good sure fire way no.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
You can command full rail at idle... If it won't make 24K or 26K depending on your tune, then you have a fuel issue. Then you would need to check injector return rates if they checked good then the regulator is likely the issue. You can try some 2-stroke oil in the fuel, it helps free up sticky regulators.

I agree with Iowa LLY though, it's alot of miles and likely wouldn't hurt to be replaced. However if your tight on cash sometimes you just gotta fix the issue.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Burn down gives good advice. I would start with the suggestions he made.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Take the return line off the CP3. Put a hose on it and run it into a container. Disable the injectors. Crank the engine over until fuel begins to flow from the hose from the CP3 return. Empty the container out, then crank it over for 15 seconds. Measure the amount of fuel in the container. If it is more than 1.2 onces, the CP3 is returning to much fuel and is bad. If less than 1.2 onces the CP3 is still good.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Take the return line off the CP3. Put a hose on it and run it into a container. Disable the injectors. Crank the engine over until fuel begins to flow from the hose from the CP3 return. Empty the container out, then crank it over for 15 seconds. Measure the amount of fuel in the container. If it is more than 1.2 onces, the CP3 is returning to much fuel and is bad. If less than 1.2 onces the CP3 is still good.

I was just about to ask if anyone had the test for the cp3... Thanks Ferm:thumb:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I'll grab my laptop in the morning or tonight and log it. How much 2 stroke should I add and to how much fuel?

You can put however much you want in there it won't hurt anything, just adds Lubricity to the fuel. I would probably add a quart to a tank for awhile.

If you have access to OPTI-LUBE I would use that over the 2-stroke oil, it ranked at the top of DP's additive test.

Last edited:

Antiher03

Nov 10, 2013
Utah
I had some surging too, replaced my fpr and that went away.

But I was racing my buddies 6.4 the other day if I punched it from a 40 roll it would just sit there like it wasn't getting fuel, but from a 20 roll it lit up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
update: still having the same issue. Took burn downs advice and ran some lube through it for the past few weeks, It seemed to help a little. From 0 - 20 mph full throttle it rips all the way till i get scared. Today I gunned it from a dig to 125 mph with no issues. But at any point above 60 ish if you back out of the throttle and punch it, nothing happens, no smoke, low 40's boost..just barely accelerates. If i slow back down to around 40 mph then gas it, it hauls ass.

My comp has been down, but i picked up a replacement tonight, ill play with the rail pressure tomorrow, only thing i havent changed are the fass filters, they only have about 2k miles on them, but i ordered two new ones tonight.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Sounds like a sticky regulator not a bad cp3... Use efi to command the rail pressure up slowly and see if it gets hung up at a certain point. Then just unplug the FPR and see if it skips right on by to full rail pressure. Then you could be sure the FPR is sticking.

Now would be a good time to slap a LBZ/LMM FPR in...