Shifter Sag, Lock Cylinder and Air Bag issue.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Three issues with our trusty old 02 thats been to hell and back a few times. Keeps on ticking along after many many hard miles. Plenty of little issues though.

Anyways, the Air Bag light has been on for a little while. It came on last year maybe its been 2 years now. When it came on that time, they could not communicate with module so I replaced the module figuring it was the issue. It had about 1/2" of corrosion built up on it. That did the trick. Now it is on again though. same ordeal. Cannot communicate with it. Sound like another module or should I be chasing some wires?

Next issue. The Shifter does not return to its parked position where the key can be turned all the way off. I searched but could not find the cure for this. Too many people leaving the truck on. We always have people pull keys halfway out to make sure the equipment is off but thats the next issue.

The key cylinder is worn out to the point you can remove the key when in the ACC position. My books are for 03, haven't replaced one yet in an 02. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks.

mreeves23

Big Hog Customs, LLC
Sep 15, 2011
Poseyville, IN
Did you every figure this totally out? I have an 04 LB7 doing the same thing. The shifter is sagging and not staying in park and you can remove the key from cylinder if not totally locked. not all the way up to acc, but not quite locked. It works fine if I hold the shifter up but it keeps wanting to sag. Will replacing shift lever solve problem or anything else that can be done easily?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Best bet would be to pull the covers off the column. There should be a plate bolted in there that has all the shift detents cut into it. There is also a little finger on the shifter that rides against those detents. One or both is likely worn out and needs to be replaced. Here's a picture of what it looks like in the van. I've never looked that closely at how it is set up in a pickup, but I'm sure it is similar.

Attachments

• shifter.JPG
    shifter.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 15