Allison 5sp: Shifted into reverse on accident

citadel

Jan 2, 2008
TN
Hello all.

Long story short: I screwed up. Someone almost hit me the other day and I threw the truck into first gear while standing on the brakes. After a brief chat, I threw an adult temper tantrum and stomped on the go pedal. This is when I realized I was in first. So in a stupid panic, I tried to throw it in D. And I missed. And then I missed Neutral. Then the truck made some painful noises and didn't accelerate. As I coasted to the nearest stoplight, I threw it in park and said some prayers, put it back in drive and made it. I know I need to drop the pan and check for jewelry, but how bad did I screw up? I will also accept all the "you stupid idiot" comments. I have the dashcam clip if it helps or entertains.
If a rebuild is in order, what is the best way to go for diy? Thanks in advance.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
IIRC, Ben once said that the Allison wont actually shift into R from D when the truck is moving. Someone will have to back me up on that, though.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
IIRC, Ben once said that the Allison wont actually shift into R from D when the truck is moving. Someone will have to back me up on that, though.

I think that’s correct. Also if you push the lever away from you, and towards the firewall while you’re going from 1st to drive it will not go past neutral I believe.

citadel

Jan 2, 2008
TN
Video of adult temper tantrum. (NSFW Language)

Thank goodness for the automatic stupid protection. And thanks for the quick responses.

So here's the video. Warning on language. Guy popped out and I lost my temper a little bit. I have mixed feelings on my reaction but am working on this with my doctor. If this is too stupid or improper, I will remove the link.

https://youtu.be/wNXwYYTUQK0

edit for grammer

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
couldnt hear the noise but maybe you where past reverse and started on park and heard the parking pawl trying to engage?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
It won't. If you drop it to R while moving along, it'll give you a shift range inhibited abd essentially drop to neutral until you put it back to drive.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Thank goodness for the automatic stupid protection. And thanks for the quick responses.

So here's the video. Warning on language. Guy popped out and I lost my temper a little bit. I have mixed feelings on my reaction but am working on this with my doctor. If this is too stupid or improper, I will remove the link.

https://youtu.be/wNXwYYTUQK0

edit for grammer
My only thoughts from the vid are I wouldn't have stopped in the middle of the intersection, if at all with no contact. No contact, at the end of the day is no problem. Maybe give them the #1 driver salute, cuss a bit and move on. Been there more than once.

citadel

Jan 2, 2008
TN
My only thoughts from the vid are I wouldn't have stopped in the middle of the intersection, if at all with no contact. No contact, at the end of the day is no problem. Maybe give them the #1 driver salute, cuss a bit and move on. Been there more than once.

You're definitely right. When I saw the poor kid jump out, all I could think at the time was stop. After review, I can see that he stopped enough as well. I wished I would have kept rolling along and had a worry free day.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Just confirming what others have said, the TCM won't let you go into reverse at speed. I think it's something like 8 MPH or above disables reverse.

Your backup lights do come on, and more than once I've used it to mess with tailgaters. Throw it in reverse at 70 MPH and they look all kinds of confused. Not that I recommend throwing the trans in reverse at speed or acknowledging the tailgater. Often just makes them more pissed once they realize you're not actually coming back towards them.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I've thrown my trucks into low gear at 120 MPH and let it coast to a stop. There was talk back in '03 that doing this would help relearn. Joe Webb ( Suncoast ) and I tried this numerous times to see if it worked. There was no conclusive evidence that it did or didn't. We both thought it might have done something, but we both could have been full of shit. :roflmao:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
2x ^^^

I've done the same thing albeit not at that speed :D. As Mike said, it just downshifts through all of the gears to first. A little bit more aggressive then when in D but nothing alarming