shift cable causing 4-3 downshift and binding

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
1 have a 2001 cclb dually diesel auto that after driving 4 miles at about 53mph, the truck started slowing on its own. i tried maintaining speed by accelerating. the truck down shifted 4-3-2 and when i finally realized what was happening, i then let off the accelerator and shifted into neutral. the truck felt like it was trying to drag the HULK. when i came a stop, it felt like the brakes were used. never touched them. later in afternoon i went back to truck and put oil in transfer case because i thought it might be low. drove home and no problems.

pulled transfer case out and purchased another. it had run out of oil before and was clunking when shifted and not installed yet. waiting to see about tranny

problem: while i was under truck removing tc, i noticed the transmission cable bracket was bent back toward tc case about 5/16 inch and have no idea when happened. the cable looked like it had possibly moved the nsbu switch lever back a little.

could this lever slight movement cause the trans to possibly bind up and slow the truck down like two sets of trans clutches engaging at same time?
the gear shift lever has a hard time going all the way into park some times. also trannny oil was a little browner than usual.

thanks for the future help. had stroke and have hard time with shift key, sorry

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
The cable being slightly misadjusted like that would not have caused any damage to the transmission.

It's possible that the transfer case started locking up causing your issue, but it would be the first one I've seen do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
i forgot to add that the limp mode never showed on dash. do transmissions just do fluke things every once in a while? truck has 175,000 miles and first half of life previous owner pulled horse trailers and now its just a truck. the reason I'm concern is that since my stroke it has been hard for me to do things. i try every i can and i have one neighbor that is on disability also that helped lift the transfer case out. he did most of the lifting.

i used to do all that by myself, but like getting every thing ready to pull transfer case took me 8.5 hours doing on floor. having the use with equivalent 1 and 1/4 arms and hands an legs is a little tough.

I'm hoping i can get some opinions on wether or not the tranny should come out and get rebuilt out before transfer case goes back in. being disabled and not a whole lot of extra money. the transmission has not acted up before.

thanks everyone for the help.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Sounds like a clutch dragging to me. Drop the pan and see what it looks like inside.

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
iowa lly and josh h. thanks for the replays i will drop the pan this morning and look. floor jack is under pan now. will figure out how to safely move jack to hold transmission up while i move jack from under pan and drop. will let know.

Last edited:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Just put the crossmember back in temporarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
thanks foe the replys. i found a 1/2 inch pipe clamp from wood working an it was 46 inches and only 44 inches was needed over top of frame rails. then used mechanics wire thru holes. supported tranny perfect.

after i dropped the pan, there was very little clutch material and hardly any pieces of metal.

i ordered that bent shift cable bracket, it wasn't a straight inline shot thru that bracket for the cable. could straighten it, but i want to get that shift cable right.

could a misaligned NSBU switch cause problems? you really have to push shifter into park to make it stay.

thanks rob

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
i never thought to take a magnet to them. will do this morning, they were barely the size of a grain of fine sand. couldn't have been more than 5-7 pieces. i don't know if that makes it serious enough for a rebuild. the clutch material couldn't be seen but if you ran your finger thru the bottom of the pan, it turned your finger black. couldn't see no finger trails just ever so slightly a film as usual. i would call it normal ware from the 10 or so tranny fluid changes i have done over the years.

now you have me concerned over those small pieces. i will check this morning if magnetic. takes me about 2-3 hours in am to get loosened up in the morning where i don't hurt to bad. lots of health problems but still plugging along.

BELOW ISNT RELATED TO THE THREAD

THIS IS FOR THOSE PEOPLE THAT HAVE A HABBIT OF KNEELING ON ONE KNEE. IF YOU PUT THAT LEG BACK WITH THE FOOT BENT ON ON YOUR TOE, STRAIGHTEN YOUR FOOT OUT. I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THAT YOUNGER AND NOW I HAVE ARTHRITIS IN BIG TOE WHICH IS CAUSING IT TO TURN INTO SECOND TOE AND CONSTANT RUBBING CAUSING SORES. AMPUTATION OF THAT SECOND TOE IS IN TWO MONTHS.

Thanks and i appreciate the help with truck problem!!!!

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
i didn't find any metal in the transmission pan yesterday. not much clutch material either. with 177,000 miles on the truck and with the tranny shifting good before and after slowdown and just normal use, does it seam like a good idea to just put it back together and drive it? not abusive to truck.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
If I was in your shape and had the money I'd just get another transfer(a good, known rebuilt one), if it was me personally I'd put it together and run it til something breaks.

So would I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
thanks to all. that is exactly what i will do. i ordered that bent tranny bracket that holds the shift cable. will install bracket, rebuilt transfer case and let ya'll know what the outcome was.

i'm just courius, can i say on here who i purchased the rebuilt transfer case from. the price i paid was the price or less than what i could buy a used case and at least 400-500 less than most other rebuilt cases. usually when i find a good deal i let people know. you can always PM me and i will get back to you with the place of business. its a big gear rebuild place of business. i don't want to violate any forum rules.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
It isn't your business, you're free to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
it isn't my business for sure. wish it was. the transfer case that i needed was a np 263 xhd and they knew exactly which one i needed. they knew all about the pump rub issue, that some ran out of fluid and burnt up, they put the pump rub kit in it, said they put new bushings and other items. they didn't care that mine had burnt up and were very helpful. i paid them 850 for a remanufactured transfer case. i did drive from my house to memphis, tn. to pick it up. 3.5 hours to also get some of that world famous BBQ ribs.

the name of the place is: HIGH GEAR TRANSMISSIONS STEVE WORKMAN is the one i dealt with. all the help was very nice and helpful.

there phone number is: 901-278-0090 or 1-800-323- 6211

located: 554 adams ave. memphis, tn. 38103

they were extremely helpful and they're warehouse wes full of transfer cases and manual transmissions. hope they can help someone!!!!!

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
ill let everyone know how it turns out. trans shift cable bracket will be in tomorrow and hopefully my 2 young neighbors will come over and set the transfer case up in for me. they are really good for things like that. then just buttoning everything up. will let yo know at end of week.

thanks to everyone!!!

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
just to let those interested I'm still working on the truck. after spending 3 hrs under truck on creeper, i got the transfer case wiring figured out. arms over head took a tole on my arthritis, rotator cuff damage and nerve problems. all that caused sleep problems. finally going to work on it now. will keep informed

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
well everyone I'm happy to report that the transmission shifted great both up and down. the transfer case shifted thru the gears flawlessly and into and out of neutral. the new shift cable bracket has caused the gearshift lever some problems. will work on it tomorrow to see if i can figure it out. thanks to all. transfer case is quiet and shifted flawless. thanks rob