She's alive! - Thanks Everyone! - 1 last question

Sep 19, 2012
First, thank you all for the help! I couldn't have done it without the resources here!

Finally got her started. Sort of funny how you say "almost there, just a couple more hours" and it's really a day more. Or maybe I just forgot how much work it was. All in all not a "hard" job but time consuming. I don't have a shop, just did it on the side of the house.

She was running about 10 minutes and I noticed a huge coolant leak that appeared to be from the back of the engine. Thought I was going to throw up or burn the truck down or both. Ended up being the hose going to the EGR cooler. Got that fixed and ran it for an hour. No leaks!

I do have one last question prior to breaking her in. I read the injectors need to be programmed or something? I sent mine out for cleaning. When I reinstalled I wrote down the numbers on the injectors just incase. However I've also read some people don't do anything?

Thanks again!

Casey

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You will be fine. The data is stored in the ecm and the glow plug module. If you change the ecm then you can copy the data over from the glow plug module into the ecm. If you are using the same parts there ia nothing else to do

Sep 19, 2012
You will be fine. The data is stored in the ecm and the glow plug module. If you change the ecm then you can copy the data over from the glow plug module into the ecm. If you are using the same parts there ia nothing else to do

Thanks for the reply. I didn't note which glow plug came out of which cyl when I removed them though..... So, same parts different holes.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The glow plugs don't need to go in a specific location. The fuel injectors should go back in the same spot, though, as each one has a slightly different flow rate.

The flow rate data is programmed into the ECU by the dealer when the motor is built. A copy of that is stored in the glow plug controller as a backup, in case the ECU gets damaged and needs replaced. The glow plugs themselves don't get calibrated, it was just a convenient computer with some extra memory being used as a backup.

Sep 19, 2012
The glow plugs don't need to go in a specific location. The fuel injectors should go back in the same spot, though, as each one has a slightly different flow rate.

The flow rate data is programmed into the ECU by the dealer when the motor is built. A copy of that is stored in the glow plug controller as a backup, in case the ECU gets damaged and needs replaced. The glow plugs themselves don't get calibrated, it was just a convenient computer with some extra memory being used as a backup.

Said glow plug meant injectors. It was a long day and my brain isn't quite rebooted yet. I imagine my flow rates are all different now because I had my injectors cleaned/serviced VS buying remans/new ones? In either case I didn't pay attention when I took them out. Then i read about the flow rate data. When i installed them I wrote down the numbers on the injectors and which cyl they went into.

However I doubt those numbers are accurate now because of the servicing? They didn't provide new flow data or anything.

Thanks,

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Depending on what was done with the servicing of the injectors, you might just program all 8 to the same value. I would leave it alone for now and see how it runs/idles.

Maybe someone more familiar with the newer motors will chime in. My vehicles are all LB7, which don't have individual flow calibrations.