Shake down weekend

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Well we took the trailer out for its first shake down. Everything went pretty smooth. I had a problem with the brakes the minute I left the parking lot the day I picked it up. It would show a short every once in a while. While my truck was down working on the suspension and unlocking my ECM I had my Dad come over and plugged the trailer in. I starting wiggling the brake wires all the way to the back. The last one I check I heard some arcing. Turns out it had gotten a flat at some time. I noticed some cord floating around the axle. It must’ve caught the wire and yanked it out of a grommet and chaffed it. Got that all fixed.
We took a 4 hour trip up to my parents property for a couple days. I’ve known the truck had a boost leak but never got around to finding it. Well they reared their ugly heads for sure with a load. Truck ran ok but seemed down on power and boost. Plus I don’t know if it’s related but the cruise control wasn’t working very well. I noticed climbing some hills it would down shift when I shouldn’t be. Cruise wouldn’t hold speed climbing. If I worked the throttle everything was fine. Is there anything cruise uses other than speed to operate? I don’t have any issues when there’s no load.
In the trailer things went pretty smooth. We had an issue with the sound bar not working which turned out to be a blown fuse. My first shower sucked with very low water pressure. I took the hose off the fixture and found a piece of plastic blocking the hole. The wife’s first shower was much better 😂. I do have a leak I need to locate. Don’t know if it’s shower related or not as all my plumbing starts in the same area. And we need to work on a check list. We forgot to latch the bunk house door and now there’s a (small) hole in the wall ☹️.
After work today I went to checking for boost leaks. I found 3 so far. The hot side boot at the cooler was leaking. The PPE boost valve was leaking and the Dodge oil pan IAH plug was leaking. I need to soap and water the Y bridge and clam shells still.
The picture is next to my parents trailer that we are building a cover over.

Attachments

• 7B9576F4-F6DE-421B-B165-D9D4ADF8F248.jpeg
    7B9576F4-F6DE-421B-B165-D9D4ADF8F248.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: 036.6turbo

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
with the boost leak and the engine down on power the transmission will downshift more often as it wont hold speed as well in the higher gear. but you probably already knew that

as far as I remember, the LB7 has a cruise control table for mm3 to mph. the later years just use the accelerator or torque tables for cruise

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The PPE boost valve is supposed to leak, that's how it works. It bleeds off a percentage of the boost going to the wastegate, delaying when it opens to increase boost.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
The PPE boost valve is supposed to leak, that's how it works. It bleeds off a percentage of the boost going to the wastegate, delaying when it opens to increase boost.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

^ This. That said, the regulated leak from the PPE valve is nowhere near enough airflow to actually be meaningful to cause a drop in power.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
as far as I remember, the LB7 has a cruise control table for mm3 to mph. the later years just use the accelerator or torque tables for cruise
B0852. Apparently sometime between ‘02 and ‘04 (I’m guessing ‘03 😜) they changed that table. I don’t ever remember having trouble with cruise in my ‘04. Fixed now and we will see how it goes.