Service trailer brake?

Hoffie

Mar 10, 2015
Far East LA - aka Phoenix
You might also want to look at the 7 pin connector and make sure that it is clean and that each pin is actually making contact with the truck/trailer. Try a new 7 pin on the trailer and see if that cures up the issues.

Passin Thru

Jan 27, 2017
The correct police are at it. Gosh, my boat trailer, Livestock trailer and junk trailer don't have electric brakes, don't require inspection and don't ground thru the trailer wiring. Two are Farm use and the boat trailer has hydraulic surge brakes. As for trailers with 7 pin they ground through the electrical system.

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
I have the same message but mine also has the ABS light on and my problem is the speed sensor wire in the front that needs fixed. So I'm guessing your ABS light isn't on other wise I would say check the wheel sensors. Gonna have to just check ur wires on the truck.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
The correct police are at it. Gosh, my boat trailer, Livestock trailer and junk trailer don't have electric brakes, don't require inspection and don't ground thru the trailer wiring. Two are Farm use and the boat trailer has hydraulic surge brakes. As for trailers with 7 pin they ground through the electrical system.

Trailers with 4 pin, 5 pin, 6 pin, and 7 all ground through the wiring.

Hauling thousands of dollars worth of livestock without proper brakes and lights seams like it wouldn't be worth the risk considering how cheap it would be to have them working.

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
It was the fuse. I had the fuse changed and reflashed the module and it went away. Today after driving in the rain the error message popped back up again but then went away. So I'm guessing somewhere it's getting water in the system and maybe last time it shorted out the fuse. Suck I will have to unwrap an chase down wires now.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Not all trucks have the 5th wheel prep with those wires. I am guessing you have either a wiring rubbed through in the loom ,or a connector seal that has died.

Every connector i pull apart chasing problems would get doped with dielectric grease.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If your message on the DIC says 'SERVICE TRAILER BRAKE SYSTEM' the problem is your truck, not your trailer. If you get a message that says "CHECK TRAILER WIRING" , that's the trailer problem. So make sure you look carefully at the error message.

Here's a pretty good discussion about the problem: http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/4jjy3-chevrolet-silverado-2500-hd-wondering-one-gm-tech-s.html
Not always true.
I just went through this with my 16. Check trailer wiring I would get. Trailer plug was good and brakes worked fine with a different truck. It was corrosion in the plug. Replaced under warranty and hooked to the same trailer and good to go.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Not always true.
I just went through this with my 16. Check trailer wiring I would get. Trailer plug was good and brakes worked fine with a different truck. It was corrosion in the plug. Replaced under warranty and hooked to the same trailer and good to go.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You are correct. In my testing "check trailer brake system" was due to the electric brake circuit having too high of resistance. I think it wanted something 2 ohms or less. Blown fuse, broken wires or bad connection at the plug could cause this too. Anything that makes the resistance go out of spec. I think the idea here is the controller wants to see a minimum of two electric brake magnets wired in parallel. This is also the key to tricking the controller to work with the electric over hydraulic brakes.

"Check trailer wiring" was caused by the resistance going too high (open circuit) while in drive. This one could also be caused by the same blown fuse, broken wires or bad connection at the plug as mentioned above. It is just triggered if it happens while in drive and the resistance goes way up

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
This happened to me recently in my 16 work truck. Plug on the trailer was wet. Just my experience.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
This happened to me recently in my 16 work truck. Plug on the trailer was wet. Just my experience.
Doesn't help the 7 pole plug is upside down either. That seal isn't 100% when you use a pressure washer.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
It would sure be nice if Chevy would publish a well tried and tested decision tree to help those troubleshooting problems with the integrated trailer braking system.. Lots of problems can crop up, and often do, and no rhyme or reason what they might be.

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
Mine was similar to what another member said on here. Trailer brakes didn't function,service stabiltak abs light was on and no traction control, tracked it down to left front wheel speed sensor. After the lift being put on the connector broke coming into contact and out of contact, zip tied it good ever sense.