Help: Service Brake Sytem in DIC

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA
I am getting this "Service Brake System" in the DIC. When it happens the bell like low fuel bell goes off for about 15 rings and the ABS, Brake and Engine lights all come on. The trans goes into some sort of a limp mode where what ever gear its in when the code throws, that is what gear it stays in. If its first I can't get anywhere and reverse doesn't work at all when this happens. I have to pull over turn it off and sit for a few minutes for it to reset.

I had at a dealer all last week and they couldn't get it to do it so they couldn't find out the problem. On my way home from the dealer I pushed the brake pedal it vibrates similar to when you brake hard and the ABS is working but wasn't braking that hard at all. Then after the vibration the bells go off the lights light up and the trans is in limp mode again.

Anybody have this problem or know what it is? I am afraid to drive it anywhere for fear the brakes may not work all of a sudden.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
With all those symptoms, it kinda sounds like there is a computer malfunctioning. Not necessarily the ECM (engine), but could be the BCM (body), or ABS.

A bad wheel sensor by itself won't do all those things. You should check your bale connectors if you've ever plugged in an Edge/Banks/VA. Look for bent or pushed in pins. Maybe a bad ground strap also.

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
This is actually a truck that i looked at. It had a p0500 code in it. He left it with me for a week to get some other stuff done as well and this would not act up.....

I went over the grounds and connectors. One of the codes that had set ... i looked through the data and it was asking for 8th gear ???? p0880 i believe it was... however i could not get it to act up. I wiggled the wires all over....

Now, i'm kind of thinking this could be a neutral safety switch. Basicly when it happens the ecm loses communication with the trans and the bcm. At one point he lost the speedo as well though.... We put in a rear speed sensor as if it doesn't have a speed sensor at any given time it will do this... however that did not help....

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA
With all those symptoms, it kinda sounds like there is a computer malfunctioning. Not necessarily the ECM (engine), but could be the BCM (body), or ABS.

A bad wheel sensor by itself won't do all those things. You should check your bale connectors if you've ever plugged in an Edge/Banks/VA. Look for bent or pushed in pins. Maybe a bad ground strap also.

Nothing has ever been plugged into it except Stewies device to check things in the ECM.

Last edited:

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA
This is actually a truck that i looked at. It had a p0500 code in it. He left it with me for a week to get some other stuff done as well and this would not act up.....

I went over the grounds and connectors. One of the codes that had set ... i looked through the data and it was asking for 8th gear ???? p0880 i believe it was... however i could not get it to act up. I wiggled the wires all over....

Now, i'm kind of thinking this could be a neutral safety switch. Basicly when it happens the ecm loses communication with the trans and the bcm. At one point he lost the speedo as well though.... We put in a rear speed sensor as if it doesn't have a speed sensor at any given time it will do this... however that did not help....

Yes I again did lose the speedo on the way home from the shop when it happened Friday.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
A friend at work has the same issue (minus losing the speedo) with his '05...I programmed the ABS module for his tire size, 285s, but he drove about 3 miles and the lights came back on...If I have time to play with it this week, I'll let you know if I find out anything...

tbj

Jun 4, 2008
Mills Co., Texas
My 04 does this about every couple of months. The dealership told me that it is nothing to worry about, but they did not know what causes it. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the truck itself except for the annoying lights and buzzers.

All I do when it goes off is to turn the truck off and then turn it back on and it goes away for a couple of months.

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA
My 04 does this about every couple of months. The dealership told me that it is nothing to worry about, but they did not know what causes it. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the truck itself except for the annoying lights and buzzers.

All I do when it goes off is to turn the truck off and then turn it back on and it goes away for a couple of months.

I wish mine was that easy. Once it starts it doesn't stop. It took me 25 minutes to go 6 miles on the way to a funeral the other day. It really sucked being late to the funeral.

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA
The dealer that has my truck now says that the P0880 code is telling them I need a new TCM. Not sure what to do as they want $1002.89 for a new one. Yting to find a used one. If I buy the new one that was my Exhaust and Gauge money, don't want to spend it but need to get my truck going again.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
The dealer that has my truck now says that the P0880 code is telling them I need a new TCM. Not sure what to do as they want $1002.89 for a new one. Yting to find a used one. If I buy the new one that was my Exhaust and Gauge money, don't want to spend it but need to get my truck going again.

u can get a tcm for like 200 $