Schaeffer' oil! Wow!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Have to ask my boss if they pulled this stunt with him. I do like Shaeffer, but its harder to come by then my Delvac. Which has a history of GREAT results with the Dmax.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
I use to see sales men at flea markets use that machine to sell some bogus additive they where pushing. Half the crowd around them where plants to hepl push the product.

You should see what happens when you put Monster diesel in the machine, the bearing speed increases with more pressure :D

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Just a quick update. 2 oil changes on my LBZ with the Shaffer's oil @200k miles. I used to burn about 1-1.5 quarts between oil changes. Oil consumption has dropped significantly, I'm at about .5 quarts on the last oil change. Checking the oil level now does not show any drop in oil level and I'm about 1k miles away from my next oil change. Looks like whatever they are using is working. This is without any additional oil additives.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
What are your intervals? I avg 1.5-2qt per 10k 95% towing.. I'm sure it would be less if I just DD the truck.. I'm usually either delo 400 or delvac 1300 both of which I can get 99% of the places I got and both within $1.00 of each ither

bowhunterwalker

Jan 21, 2018
I know this post is old, but I can’t resist. I have to disagree with all the nayayers here, implicitly. The “trade show” machine proves a valid point, anti friction, but there are other points that you cannot bench test or show in 10 minutes- high detergent package that keeps the engine very clean, reduced oil temp, higher oil psi, and better mpg. The machine is just a quick and easy to understand example. I have a large bank of UOA, a few VOA, that show the benefits I am getting. I now change oil every 20k with filter change at 10k. And by the way, used oil (10k mi oil tested) still works on that machine just as well. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
That's great and grand that you happy with Schaefer's. That doesn't mean it's a good oil for everyone and that there marketing isn't misleading. The fact is the Duramax is a very low wearing engine and it doesn't necessarily benefit from expensive oils. I have had good UOAs from delo400 with 16k on it. I have even better UOAs from Delvac1300, but don't do extended drain intervals any longer due to my truck not being my DD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bowhunterwalker

Jan 21, 2018
That's great and grand that you happy with Schaefer's. That doesn't mean it's a good oil for everyone and that there marketing isn't misleading. The fact is the Duramax is a very low wearing engine and it doesn't necessarily benefit from expensive oils. I have had good UOAs from delo400 with 16k on it. I have even better UOAs from Delvac1300, but don't do extended drain intervals any longer due to my truck not being my DD.

What do you consider expensive? Where I am, Rotella is $17.43 after tax for a 5 gal bucket. UOA suggest change at 8000-9200 depending on driving conditions. Schaeffer costs me $19.85, and I don’t have to change as frequently. 15000-19000 depending on conditions. Expensive I guess is like beauty....It’s in the eye of the beholder.
The Cummins is a low wear engine. CAT C-15 as well. But they benefit from Schaeffer. Google the Dyno reports. 3.5-5.2% increase in fuel economy and 1-3% increase in HP. Same truck. Same dyno. Different oil.
bobistheoilguy.com has some very good info on oil as well.

Last edited:

bowhunterwalker

Jan 21, 2018
And FYI, the reason head and shoulders works is because of it’s zinc and chlorine content. Everyone knows zinc is a key ingredient in engine oil as an anti wear additive.
Pyrithione Zinc and Zinc carbonate
Guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride & Sodium Chloride
Antifreeze also has chlorine in it, as well as boron (am E.P. additive in some oils), but you don’t want that in you block either. Kind of dumb example on the machine.
Anyone remember prolong? How about the lawsuit? One very active ingredient-Chlorine. Chlorine reacts with metal and heat to form a friction barrier, which is also harmful and corrosive to the engine.

bowhunterwalker

Jan 21, 2018
Lmao really though where is he. I’m gonna go there and ship home pallets of oil and resell it at that price :woott:

Colorado. And I misspoke. $17.66/gal after tax

Attachments

• AA6E28AB-B10D-487D-A392-3F7AE17E6E89.jpg
    AA6E28AB-B10D-487D-A392-3F7AE17E6E89.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 24

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I wait for sales $12-13gal or $55 for 5gal for Delvac. Gains like that of milage and power are hardly quantifiable. I've been a long time member at bobs.

bowhunterwalker

Jan 21, 2018
I wait for sales $12-13gal or $55 for 5gal for Delvac. Gains like that of milage and power are hardly quantifiable. I've been a long time member at bobs.

I agree that a small gain like that is not quantifiable most of the time, but that depends on the mileage you drive and the conditions. I have lots of stop and go, long idle times, and 40k+ miles per year. So that mileage adds up, as does the money back in less oil purchasing. The other reason is that I have 344k on all original internals. I’ve seen the tear downs, one in person at a mine, and can appreciate what they exemplify. If a C-16 can be torn down and Re-use the cam and crank, I have to pay attention.

Their are other good products out their too, don’t get me wrong. I love using Lucas Engine Stop Leak in my leaky tractor diff. Half a bottle 2 times a year and it save me 14 hours of $8 seal repair on a bad OEM design.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I agree that a small gain like that is not quantifiable most of the time, but that depends on the mileage you drive and the conditions. I have lots of stop and go, long idle times, and 40k+ miles per year. So that mileage adds up, as does the money back in less oil purchasing. The other reason is that I have 344k on all original internals. I’ve seen the tear downs, one in person at a mine, and can appreciate what they exemplify. If a C-16 can be torn down and Re-use the cam and crank, I have to pay attention.

Their are other good products out their too, don’t get me wrong. I love using Lucas Engine Stop Leak in my leaky tractor diff. Half a bottle 2 times a year and it save me 14 hours of $8 seal repair on a bad OEM design.
My Duramax was torn down to build at 310k miles after a glow plug went through the #1 cylinder, and it was in fantastic shape. Well, except for the glow plug

I reused the crank, oil pump, push rods, etc. Basically kept all the original parts that didn't get in the way of my performance goals. I technically could have kept the stock bore, as it was within service limits, but I went .020" over since I needed pistons anyway for my goals.

I have always used Delo 400 because it is cheap, and from what I saw, it was wearing great. I also did UOAs and changed at 10k-12k miles on the cheap Delo. (This was their CJ-4, their CK-4 is a different story.)

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Look people spent there money how ever they want and I'm not questioning that. I'm just stating my point of view and 20 years experience in the excavation field. Spending more money then what a good quality Dino oil like Delo400 cost never benefited us. On my big jobs we burn 4000gal of fuel a day to give you idea of scale.

Like Dave I used Delo400 when my truck was my daily driver. After 30k+ a year at 15k change change intervals for 170K I upgraded my turbo. My old one was in perfect shape with zero extra end play. It was a shame to toss it in the spare parts pile.