Scar 17 (Scar Heavy)

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Alaska is love it or hate it where I live. Interior Alaska is harsh country, -50+ to 90's in the summer sometimes, and muggy as hell, Skeeters that could pack off a baby... It has it's pros as well, lots of wide open country might never see a soul for days.

I moved here from Idaho so It wasn't as spectacular for me as it is for some. I grew up in some of the best hunting and fishing areas in the world. Lets just say after 11 winters I'm ready to go home.

How far out have you been? If I may ask, what made you move out there.

Sorry for the derail. On topic though. FNH is one brand you can pretty much buy with your eyes closed. On the bright side even though they are expensive, it's much less than what they were going for years back.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
How far out have you been? If I may ask, what made you move out there.

Sorry for the derail. On topic though. FNH is one brand you can pretty much buy with your eyes closed. On the bright side even though they are expensive, it's much less than what they were going for years back.

I don't mind, most threads here end up all over the place, it's one of the reasons I like hanging out here, no Nazi Mods cracking down on everyone... Unless the Canadians are on you gotta watch your azz around those guys;)

I moved up here for work. I'm a Cat Tech at the big mine up here... I have been all over Alaska for work unfortunately (not much time to smell the roses), it's extremely expensive on your own. When I was Field Service I flew into all kinds of crazy places, Nome, lots of villages and mines along the Yukon river. Drove up to Atigun Pass and welded a motorgrader back together that the state tore in half. Rode snow machines on Glaciers, Valdez, Summit, Cantwell... Met some cool and not so cool people. All in all Alaska has been good to me I'm just ready to go home.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Not that I know about this gun... But when you say battle rifle I feel like you mean multiple frequent shots??? If its anything like a .308 I'd run. That's a cold shot round, to many it hurts. .223 is great warm and fun as hell

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Not that I know about this gun... But when you say battle rifle I feel like you mean multiple frequent shots??? If its anything like a .308 I'd run. That's a cold shot round, to many it hurts. .223 is great warm and fun as hell

Have a look at these vids Ben. This gun has the recoil of a .223... Love it!
[YOUTUBE]watch?v=jOvJUdJlkNk[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]watch?v=bLQZKaCAYVo[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]watch?v=zLBF_Gkg91U[/YOUTUBE]

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
You'd have to shoot a larger caliber weapon with a properly designed buffer system to understand. I consider a battle rifle to be 3 simple things: modular- to be able to at least add ergonomically correct attatchments and be field stripped easily; durable in any environment-isn't real picky about dust, cold, water, etc; and finally it needs to be balanced well-it has to be capable of a 600m shot with a small optic but needs to be concise to weild around a 10x10 room with furniture.

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
The great thing about the SCAR is that you can get 3 different length barrels. You have the standard 16", the 20" sniper variant, and the 10" CQB. There are also extended rails if you need more real estate to mount equipment.

Corey

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I don't mind, most threads here end up all over the place, it's one of the reasons I like hanging out here, no Nazi Mods cracking down on everyone... Unless the Canadians are on you gotta watch your azz around those guys;)

I moved up here for work. I'm a Cat Tech at the big mine up here... I have been all over Alaska for work unfortunately (not much time to smell the roses), it's extremely expensive on your own. When I was Field Service I flew into all kinds of crazy places, Nome, lots of villages and mines along the Yukon river. Drove up to Atigun Pass and welded a motorgrader back together that the state tore in half. Rode snow machines on Glaciers, Valdez, Summit, Cantwell... Met some cool and not so cool people. All in all Alaska has been good to me I'm just ready to go home.

Haha yeah this is how it should be.

Sound awesome. Good adventures. Want to send me a hall switch from a cat? How are ammo prices up there?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Haha yeah this is how it should be.

Sound awesome. Good adventures. Want to send me a hall switch from a cat? How are ammo prices up there?

Not sure what a "hall" switch is? Got a part number? If it's not mining related I'm lost anymore... Big trucks and loaders are all I work on it seems, even then I have minions to do the sh8t jobs:angel:.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Well someone's gotta do it haha

Its the stupid button that opens and closes the 4 by 1 bucket in my skid steer. It's not a simple on and off type switch. It's variable, based on pressure.

The only way I've been able to find it is buy the whole damn joystick from cat for around 500$. The manufacturer of the switch would MAYBE sell it for 20$... If I bought 1000+ lol.

Buy ammo locally or order online? They have thankfully come down a lot in the past few months. 223 is available for prices that I haven't seen for 5 years.

Working on that size equipment sounds like fun. I'd much rather work on an excavator than a car. Seems like anything I touch in a car I break.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I have been know to locate things from time to time.... What is the serial number on your machine and which Joystick is it?

Ammo is stupid up here. I haven't bought any in awhile... It pisses me off when I look.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You would be a savior. I'll get the PID asap. Sitting inside it's the right one. If you just found a button that would be fine too.

Haha I figured. Everything is so crazy expensive over there. It's not too cheap here but wally world isn't too bad.

Out of curiosity if you're in a gun shop. See if they've got 458 Lott ammo. I ordered an ER Shaw rifle in that caliber almost two years ago that should be ready soon. Ammo was around 70$ then now it's more like 170 a box. So yeah, I'm a tad pissed off too.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Did you ever buy the scar 17? I just got one of my ar's put together, now I'm just looking for some threaded ear muffs.;)

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Lol no, they are asking 3000+ up here:spit: I plan on moving home next summer so I will wait till Im back in lower 48.

I sure like the sh*t out of that though:thumb:

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Having spent a few years behind the M-16/AR platform and used them to their full potential, I love them. However, I would take a 7.62 SCAR over an M-4/16 all day everyday.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
im picking up a mint bushmaster 223-5.56 x15 tm for $400. Couldn't pass it up. especially since he is hooking me up with 20 round boxes for $3 each. he has 2000 rounds.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Damn. Take all of them. I'll give you 3.50!

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I'd be happy with 6 too. Closer to 10 here. Just for plinking quality

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I only shoot nice rounds through mine, just because I hate cleaning. I like killing way more than plinking, tinkering, or cleaning.

I really want to buy a .338 lapua that's here at my local shop, but $5 a round for average ammo is a little too rich for my blood.

My next build is going to be old school 30.06, but with new school technology. I have a sweet round made up using the Superformance Hornady powder. I can shoot 168 grains close to the same velocity and trajectory as I've been shooting my 150 grains. :thumb: