LB7: SAC 45 overs, who is running them?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Who out there is running the 45 over SAC's in a stock LB7? Mine are biting the bullet hard AND FAST! So I'm going to have to do something here quick with them. I don't hardly drive the BURB anymore(haven't put 7K miles on it in the last year), but I took it down to the inlaws for turkey day and all was fine, parked it for a week, drove it again and it's hazing at night in the headlights behind me. So I triple dose it with power service to try and buy some time, drove it last night and it seemed better, but I drove it today and it looked like I had a friggen 2 stroke outboard in it running double oil idling from all the blue smoke rolling out during the daytime(fogged out the road behind me leaving mcdonalds after getting the kids some happy meals). Was going to try cleaning them, but with the way it's fogging now, I doubt anything will help it.

I REALLY don't feel like putting VCO's back in, so the wife gave me the go ahead to spend the extra for SAC's. My big concern is I don't want to deal with hazing. I've tuned a couple of trucks with industrial 45 overs, and was left rather disappointed as I could never get them to run to what I would consider clean, and don't want my BURB to be like those trucks were. I know a few have bought them, but I'm just not seeing many reports from those that have them on a basically stock engine.

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
Who out there is running the 45 over SAC's in a stock LB7? Mine are biting the bullet hard AND FAST! So I'm going to have to do something here quick with them. I don't hardly drive the BURB anymore(haven't put 7K miles on it in the last year), but I took it down to the inlaws for turkey day and all was fine, parked it for a week, drove it again and it's hazing at night in the headlights behind me. So I triple dose it with power service to try and buy some time, drove it last night and it seemed better, but I drove it today and it looked like I had a friggen 2 stroke outboard in it running double oil idling from all the blue smoke rolling out during the daytime(fogged out the road behind me leaving mcdonalds after getting the kids some happy meals). Was going to try cleaning them, but with the way it's fogging now, I doubt anything will help it.

I REALLY don't feel like putting VCO's back in, so the wife gave me the go ahead to spend the extra for SAC's. My big concern is I don't want to deal with hazing. I've tuned a couple of trucks with industrial 45 overs, and was left rather disappointed as I could never get them to run to what I would consider clean, and don't want my BURB to be like those trucks were. I know a few have bought them, but I'm just not seeing many reports from those that have them on a basically stock engine.

I have 60% overs s369 proflow pump zero hazzle very light soke on spool up and injectors sound very healthy after 26k i will check balance rates again today to verify for everyone

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
You want have issues with hazing. There are no problems using them. The dual plain and extra hole help out as well. Overall they smoked less than 30 overs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
This is what I hope to do when my current loud uglies finally give up the ghost.

BTW, moved to LB7. ;)

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
My 75% over SAC's barely haze with lowered compression and a big single when I'm tooling along the freeway. You'll have no problems cleaning up 45% overs on a stock motor, from what I've seen from your tuning.

Interestingly, I was able to get a set of Industrial Injection 60% over VCO's to clean up the haze on my brother's LB7 (stock + S366), but never could completely kill the smoke on spoolup without also killing spoolup. Though I hear there is a lot of variance in quality from II, seems I got a good set.

But I'm rambling. Point is, you'll have no problems. Probably won't even have to do much tuning. :thumb:

Edit: Case in point: SAC 75% overs, 19°F cold start. No haze after initial start.
[YOUTUBE]-QSo8Av8pCM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Might try a heavy does of stanadyne performance formula, i was having similar issues as you and am able to stay just in spec on balance rate on the edge cts (obviously return rate etc is the proper way to verify), I know you know its a bandaid on a bullet hole but was impressed it helped bring my down. Might buy a little time, but interested to hear results when you put them in. What size do you guys like on a s475 over stock setup? Cp3 matched accordingly to inj. size

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I tried a triple dose of power service, now it looks like an old 2 strome outboard thats been idling all day running 16:1 pre mix. Embarrassed th3 crap out of me yesterday. Took the k8ds to get happy meals after a rough doctors appt, and I smoke the whole place out sitting at 5he drive through, then fogged the road out for almost a 1/4 mile leaving. They went from clean, to OMG in under 50 miles. Already ch3cked it and found the culprit, #8 is sitting at a correct -5.9, but 4 more are starting to look rough, and everytime I drive it my idle fuel rate is plummeting down. Was at a 6.1-6.3 when it began, now it's down into the low 5's.

Just wanting to make sure hazing won't be an issue. It's a shame because I had just gotten my tune where I was happy with it. Very little smoke except a puff on a flat foot stomp, and quick spoolup. Now I get to start over.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
What does the idle fuel rate reference? Rail psi?

How much fuel the injectors are injecting. It's a fairly constant known value that an lb7 at idle takes roughly 7.5-8mm3 of fuel to run. The fuel rate is the average amount of fuel that each injector is injecting at that time, and the balance rate is how far +/- of the fuel rate that injector is injecting. So if your fuel rate at an idle is down to 5, that tells you right there you have several injectors injecting too much fuel to the point that it has brought the average injection amount down instead of just the one balance rate.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
So to further derail this thread, does anyone know what kind of main fuel rate to expect on a LB7 with no transmission? We have a donor LB7 for a swap, and while the trans is being built, we fired it up to get balance rates. Around 4.5-5mm3 main rate, balance rates were good, no haze, and exhaust smelled normal. Sound OK for just a flex plate flapping in the breeze?

Sent from my FlashScan V2

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Did the flush on them today, didn't make a huge difference. I did get a HUGE smokeshow after about 20 minutes of running on the mix, but no big change in anything after running the bulk of the gallon of mix through it. So gotta squash my "toy fund", and a set of sticks. I just can't see spending $1K on a set of nozzles for a set of injectors with 71k miles to try out, so going to have to bite the bullet and get complete ones.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you'll be joining the Brethren of the SAC soon.

Wait, that came out wrong...

Sent from my FlashScan V2

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
What is the difference in SAC AND VDO?

It's VCO, VDO is a brand of gauges and other parts. This picture is the short version.
sac-nozzle-vs-vco.jpg

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
After flushing my injectors last week and with our warmer temps, my hazing is mostly gone, but I went ahead and bit the bullet and just ordered from Lincoln a set of SAC's. Pretty well wiping me out at Cristmas time, but if I don't do them now, it will be April before I'll have the chance to do them next. Keeping my fingers crossed hoping these work out. I'm only driving about 7-8K miles a year now, so it will take me a LONG time to rack up many miles on them.

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
After flushing my injectors last week and with our warmer temps, my hazing is mostly gone, but I went ahead and bit the bullet and just ordered from Lincoln a set of SAC's. Pretty well wiping me out at Cristmas time, but if I don't do them now, it will be April before I'll have the chance to do them next. Keeping my fingers crossed hoping these work out. I'm only driving about 7-8K miles a year now, so it will take me a LONG time to rack up many miles on them.

Be curious to hear how they work for you, your cp3 in pretty good shape?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk