runs but will not restart

max3208

Jul 17, 2013
Forestville, Calif
I am new here was wondering if I can ask a question maybe someone will know....I just put on a new primer on my truck and the only way my motor runs is by either to start up and I'll run it for 20 mins or so and then turn it off and restart it and it will not start on its own....I have no leaks in my fuel lines....the motor has been stored in doors while i was building this truck for 2 years. It runs good no smoke no making oil strong motor with about 150,000 on the motor its a Lb7 02...
If any one could help that would be great...thanks

Aaron@LDS

Goin' Broke!
Vendor/Sponsor
Jan 19, 2013
Saint Johnsville, NY
No air in the system... That usually means injectors are returning too much fuel to start. Do you have any way to watch rail pressure?

You can also do a return rate test but it's labor intensive.

max3208

Jul 17, 2013
Forestville, Calif
No air in the system... That usually means injectors are returning too much fuel to start. Do you have any way to watch rail pressure?

You can also do a return rate test but it's labor intensive.

no air in the system...I fixed the leaks I had....I do have a PPE HOT ET programmer it does have diagnostic on it so I can see things. do you have something in mind ? as to the rate of flow how do you do that ? thanks

max3208

Jul 17, 2013
Forestville, Calif
I took the return valve and it was clean of rust answer threw in the shims for the spring and ran it but still won't start on its own...i guess pull the pump? it runs great when its started anybody have thoughts ?

max3208

Jul 17, 2013
Forestville, Calif
I replaced the filter and it has a new top kick primer. I can check my fuel line again.
Does any body know about main injector ? I was looking on my programmer and at idle it says -3 main injector . are they talking about the pump?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Here is what happens. With cranking your engine without either your cp3 is not spinning fast enough to build enough rail pressure to start. Once hit with either it gives it that jump it needs to build up rail pressure to keep engine running. So the issue is either your cp3 is weak and cannot meet commanded rail pressure while cranking or your injectors are returning so much fuel it will not allow your cp3 to build up the pressure needed. Usually its the injectors returning to much fuel.

max3208

Jul 17, 2013
Forestville, Calif
Here is what happens. With cranking your engine without either your cp3 is not spinning fast enough to build enough rail pressure to start. Once hit with either it gives it that jump it needs to build up rail pressure to keep engine running. So the issue is either your cp3 is weak and cannot meet commanded rail pressure while cranking or your injectors are returning so much fuel it will not allow your cp3 to build up the pressure needed. Usually its the injectors returning to much fuel.

I pulled my return valve out to see if it had any crap in it and it was clean so I put 2 4mm washers in behind the spring so the pressure would be higher on the rail. After running the motor and taking it for a drive I turned it off and restarted it just did the same thing again would not start on its own. I guess now I need to check the pressure on the cp3. thank you for the info

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I pulled my return valve out to see if it had any crap in it and it was clean so I put 2 4mm washers in behind the spring so the pressure would be higher on the rail. After running the motor and taking it for a drive I turned it off and restarted it just did the same thing again would not start on its own. I guess now I need to check the pressure on the cp3. thank you for the info

The injectors returning too much fuel has nothing to do with shimming the valve. You need to do a return rate test on the injectors.

max3208

Jul 17, 2013
Forestville, Calif
The injectors returning too much fuel has nothing to do with shimming the valve. You need to do a return rate test on the injectors.

Its sounding more like i Will be doing the test on the injector's . i guess that's what happens when the motor sit for 3 years. thanks for the info

max3208

Jul 17, 2013
Forestville, Calif
ok update ! I have replaced all injectors and replaced the CP3 as well with new. I also replaced all rubber fuel lines with new factory ones. The motor still does NOT start on its own. This is turning into replacing parts and its not fixing the problem of being able to just turning the key on and starting on its own. Every time I do something I think will cure the problem and it does NOT FIX IT :mad:...... Anyone have any ideas !!?