Question: Running B20 in my LLY?

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I have always avoided bio mixtures but it's getting harder and harder to find anything but B20 around here these days. I've read several posts here about how a small amount of B05 is good, it has better lubricity and it will keep things cleaner. My last three or more tanks have been B20 and I notice my truck seems to run better, smoother and quieter even without fuel additives. I had a couple of injectors that were starting to knock but they have all quieted down and truck runs great since using B20. Anybody know if there's any problems with long term biodiesel usage, since I can't seem to find anything else around here?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
You will notice a reduction in power output as bio has less BTU's per gallon than diesel from dino oil. Yes bio is an AMAZING cleaner, but this has drawbacks. ANY trash or slime in your tank WILL come loose, and get sucked into your filter running bio. Yes your engine will run quieter, and you will also notice it smokes less(this is due to the reduction in BTu's per gallon, and bio just burns cleaner). Also you may notice your exhaust smells different, espescially if the bio was made from recycled oil(it can take on the smell of whatever was cooked in the oil).

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I've been tapping my AirDog coalescing filter every so often to check it and everything looks clean. I don't notice any loss of power but, yes I have noticed there's less smoke when I really get on it. I guess I'll keep running it, don't have much choice anyway! Thanks for the input.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I think the higher biodiesel blends tend to gel at higher temps so that's probably why we are seeing more of it on the West coast than in other places where it gets colder. My truck really seems to like it. BTW, I grew up in Eastern Ohio, remember those winters all too well!!!!!

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Hook a trailer to the back and you'll notice the difference in power. Got 2 tanks of it last time I went to Jersey hauling the travel trailer, and you could tell it just didn't come on boost as quick with the b20.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
If for some reason you plan to store the truck plan ahead and run a few tanks of regular diesel through it and store it with regular diesel. I've seen a lot of bio sour and begin to separate after only a few months of sitting. Definitely only buy it from high volume stations too. Ever since we had a run of trucks come in with contaminated bio from Wal-Mart I am very paranoid about bio. I usually pump a little bit into a clear container before I put it in my truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I think the higher biodiesel blends tend to gel at higher temps so that's probably why we are seeing more of it on the West coast than in other places where it gets colder. My truck really seems to like it. BTW, I grew up in Eastern Ohio, remember those winters all too well!!!!!

Yes they suck, but its not NY! Abnormally warm so far this year, was 50° this past week.

I've always wanted to run some, but never pass a station that sells it when I'm driving the pickup.

I know b20 cleans stuff up GOOD, coming back from NC with my brother in his Freightliner we got about 100gal of b20. Only went through 3 fuel filters to get back to OH :spit:

longball

Jun 8, 2015
Alabama
There is a truck stop I'll be passing this weekend that sells B20. I've read about the cleaning properties of bio and wouldn't mind running some through my system. I understand it may cause the fuel filter to clog faster and I'm ok with that if it cleans the fuel system. Right now though I only have one spare filter (the one on the truck was changed less than 1,000 miles ago). Will those two filters keep me going until I can get some more? I'll probably be down around 1/2 tank when I get to that station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
I have run b5, b20, b50, b100 in my old LB7 and the LML and only b100 showed me any less performance towing and slight drop in mpg.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I had b05 gel at 35*f. It was a real mess. I could only imagine what b20 would have been like. :(