LB7: Rod Upgrade Cost

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
They was cracked. :thumb:

Not on purpose

I never heard anything back from the person who I sold them from, and if I did try to sell bad parts to a member her, you best bet I wouldn't still be around, don't need my name in the dirt for that. when I sold them, I highly stressed that they were used slugs with a lot of bottle time on them, for half of what I paid socal to delip them. If the buyer got with me and let me know almost ayear later when he put them in his engine, I would have made it right and refunded him, but since he didn't, said screw it, I cant control that. I didn't sell him known cracked pistons, I would have known :)

meh... yep crappy tuning or bad injectors/setup can take out parts quick!! I "doubt" the failure was the pistons fault ;)

True, tuning back then wasn't where it is at now, but who knows. I wont argue over failures 8 years ago (8 holy cow :eek: )

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I never heard anything back from the person who I sold them from, and if I did try to sell bad parts to a member her, you best bet I wouldn't still be around, don't need my name in the dirt for that. when I sold them, I highly stressed that they were used slugs with a lot of bottle time on them, for half of what I paid socal to delip them. If the buyer got with me and let me know almost ayear later when he put them in his engine, I would have made it right and refunded him, but since he didn't, said screw it, I cant control that. I didn't sell him known cracked pistons, I would have known :)

True, tuning back then wasn't where it is at now, but who knows. I wont argue over failures 8 years ago (8 holy cow :eek: )

Thats why I said not on purpose. Ive bought a lot of parts from you with 0 Issues. All I was stating is they was cracked. Maybe this is why guys dont post that type of info on here.

Last edited:

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
There have been many "Rod Only" motors running around. Back in the day it was very common. :coolspot:

Caleb's LLY ZF6 record holding truck was crower rods and stock LB7/LLY pistons(delipped).

After what we've put Motorsports cast pistons through over the last 4 years( 2 different sets without failure), they will be the only piston i'd ever put in a streetable engine. Quite the good value in the long run.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Carrillo rods with used C&C stock LB7 pistons here. Yes I did balance the rotating assembly as well as an ATI dampener but it's held together. 1100+ HP in a 2.6 Pulling truck then transferred to a 2wd street/drag truck.

Heck I think my used C&C pistons were $350 if I remember correctly. :coolspot:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Motors

I have pulled heads of a motor pulled a burnt piston and rod out covered the crank honed the cylinder put a new/used piston on the old rod put back together and truck on down the road! These things are not swish watches. There are about as fragile but none the less you would be surprised what has been done. I'm not saying it the correct thing to do but things happen.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Years ago

I would change head gaskets on a small or big block Chevy and never lift the intake/dist. Leave it glued to the block and sneak the heads out from under the intake.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Mine would get good used aftermarket rods, rebalance and my current 2 time retorqued studs. Don't think I'd go much farther than that, not by choice lol.