Replacing Engine Backing Plate on a LBZ

Mixxter61

Oct 3, 2019
Is it possible to replace the engine backing plate on a 2006 LBZ without pulling the motor? The few videos I found the motor was already out. I'm hoping it can be done in place. Pulling it would be more than I wanted to get into right now.

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
You’d still have to at least slide the transmission and transfer case(if you have one) back far enough to get enough room

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to LBZ section.

No getting around it. Either pull the motor or drop the trans. Your pick.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just pull the trans and you are good to go. Make sure you have a new rear main and install tool for it as well as two new o-rings for the coolant port crossover, new gasket and square o-ring for the oil cooler elbow (has to come off to get the plate off) and a new turbo drain gasket.

you MUST drop the lower oil pan to get the 4 bolts out from the upper pan that go into the bottom of the plate.

Also, remove the rear main before pulling the plate, then pry the plate free from the silicone from the top and hold it forward. once you work it free, lift the plate UP while its leaned away from the engine and then pull it off. There are 2 dowels in the upper oil pan that go into the bottom of the plate and the back of the plate has two dowels that hold it in place to the block.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You may wish you had pulled the motor, but it can be done.

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
I'll jump on the (it's a pita) train. I decided to add a lift kit on my truck because I had to do this. Seemed like the right thing to do since everything was already removed for access. Made the job feel like less of repair and more like an upgrade is what I kept telling myself.

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

Mixxter61

Oct 3, 2019
Thanks, everybody. Everything is removed down to the plate and the lower oil pan. I've been told the rear main bearing must be replaced also so I should plan on replacing all the main bearings. Opinion?