Rear Hub Assembly Question

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Looking for some opinions or explanation. So I did a brake job and new rear axle seals on my truck last weekend and when I went to install the seal it wasn't as deep as the one removed from the hub. I would say 3/16" shallower. This gives my bearings slop and causes them to no rotate as smooth when the old seal was in. The part number I bought matches the part number to dealership sees and also the parts stores I've check with. Now driving down the road I can hear when the bearings walk out and back into. The race.

Being my truck is an 01 is there a different seal I need or maybe a different hub assembly I can buy?

JoeyD

WTF
Apr 21, 2008
Looking for some opinions or explanation. So I did a brake job and new rear axle seals on my truck last weekend and when I went to install the seal it wasn't as deep as the one removed from the hub. I would say 3/16" shallower. This gives my bearings slop and causes them to no rotate as smooth when the old seal was in. The part number I bought matches the part number to dealership sees and also the parts stores I've check with. Now driving down the road I can hear when the bearings walk out and back into. The race.

Being my truck is an 01 is there a different seal I need or maybe a different hub assembly I can buy?

The seal doesn't have any effect on the bearing movement after installation and being torqued properly.
Stop driving and take it apart and see what's wrong.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
The seal doesn't have any effect on the bearing movement after installation and being torqued properly.

I didnt think so either, but didnt want to say anything if i wasnt sure. I know that i buy the AC delco seals, they are normally cheaper and seem to be better quality anyhow.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
I didnt think so either, but didnt want to say anything if i wasnt sure. I know that i buy the AC delco seals, they are normally cheaper and seem to be better quality anyhow.

Do you have a seal quality gauge? :rofl:

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
AC Delco seal and I plan on taking it apart but was wondering before I brake it down. By the diagrams I've found online everything was in place when I first took it a part.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
You have the correct preload on the bearing hub. I did mine and didn't have them quite tight enough, it only took one full turn on the nut to go from slop to zero slop.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Did you make sure to remove the part of the old seal that presses onto the spindle? The factory inner hub seal is a two piece design similar to the front and rear main seals on the engine. If you don't remove the old part from the spindle, it can cause problems with the hub seating fully.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Did you make sure to remove the part of the old seal that presses onto the spindle? The factory inner hub seal is a two piece design similar to the front and rear main seals on the engine. If you don't remove the old part from the spindle, it can cause problems with the hub seating fully.

^^this. Many people don't remove it.

There is a part number out there floating around for a single piece seal. I have one in my driver side.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
The passenger side came out all as one piece. The drivers side did not so I did remove it from the spindle.

I will most likely tear into one side tonight or tomorrow night to see whats going on.

JoeyD

WTF
Apr 21, 2008
The passenger side came out all as one piece. The drivers side did not so I did remove it from the spindle.

I will most likely tear into one side tonight or tomorrow night to see whats going on.

You need to set the bearings to 50ftlbs while spinning the hub to seat everything properly, then back it off and put it hand tight. There are plenty of you tube videos of it or better descriptions online if you need it.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Well I pulled it apart the other night and didn't find anything out of the ordinary so it went back together with all the appropriate settings. Hopefully that will cure my issue.