Rear Brake Rotor Removal Question

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
How? I got the brake caliper off but the rotor won't budge? Front rotors came right off with no issue. Is there something that I have to do to the e-brake? Thanks for the help.....

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
They should slide off. You either have some corrosion holding the rotor to the hub or you have a lip inside the parking brake drum that is catching the parking brake shoes. If it doesn't move at all, my guess is you need to tap it with a dead-blow to break it free. If it was the parking brake, it should wiggle a little.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Thanks guys......I know I don't have a "BMFDBH" but the small one that I do have I beat the Sh*t out of the drum and no go? Of course I only tried one side.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
You dont have the parking break on do you? Ive had to beat mine pretty good, i usually end up replacing them cause i beat the shit out of them.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
spray hub with pb blaster. dont make direct contact with head of hammer and rotor, use a block of wood.

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
if hes using a dead blow hammer he can hit directly. if using Ball peen or claw or something a block of wood would be recommended. or one of those brass head hammers. definitely need a penetrating oil IMO

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
Does this apply to the dually axle ? Guy in the shop at work pulled my axle shafts and all to change out my rotors a while back. I looked at him like he was crazy but he was real convinced he was right.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
I haven't had a newre dually apart yet. But if its a "Hubless" rotor, they just slide off. Also when you replace, a little anti-sieze is a good idea. ;)

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
You could check the brake rotors for two extra holes around the hub. Mine have them and I just put a couple bolts in and tighten them. Pulls the rotor right off.