Really, really odd brake problem. Need help.

SemperFiDawg

Jul 21, 2022
I have a 2006 3500 Duramax Dually 3500 with the Allison. 2 weeks ago while driving I noticed a vibration in my front left. I initially thought I had a wheel/tire out of balance. It quickly got worse and the truck started pulling to the right. I pulled over and could smell the brake and it was smoking. The left brake was fine. I let it cool down and tried to limp back home. A few more miles down the road and it happened again. I pulled over and tapped the caliper with a hammer. Let it cool down and checked the brake fluid. When I took the reservoir cap off I noticed the rubber seal on the inside of the cap was detached from the cap and down in the neck of the reservoir. I just removed it and started back home. I made it home about 20 miles without a problem. Called a friend with the exact same truck and a lot more experience with it than me. He suggested I change the rubber front brake lines due delamination of the inner lining being a known issue and would account for blocked fluid return and caliper not releasing. I did this and thought it solved the problem. I drove the truck intermittently for 2 weeks with no problem and even pulled the pontoon boat to the lake and back which was a 200 mile round trip.

Last Monday morning my wife went to take the trash to the dump and she called me. Long and short of it, both left front and left back brakes had locked down. She caught a ride home. I went to get the truck after I got off work that afternoon. I drove it 20 miles home with no issues what-so-ever. I was at a loss. I stopped by the garage that just put new front and back brakes on it 6 months ago and they suggested the brake proportioning valve as a possible problem though they were not real confident as this was kind of an unknown issue to them also. They were scheduled to replace it, but due to an employee illness and workload have not been able to pick it up. After 3 days of delay I have decided to attempt to do it myself as I don't know when they will be able to get to it and I'm not real fold of the scattergun approach of just replacing parts until something works approach.

Thought I may join this forum and seek some feedback and direction as to whether anyone else has ever encountered this and is this is a known problem and repair. Also I noted the brake fluid is in desperate need of changing to the point it's green and I'm wondering if sediment in the system could account for this and would a fluid change/flush be something I should attempt first. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
could definitely be bad fluid. moisture dissolved in the brake fluid will cause lower boiling point and pressure build up in the caliper which can keep the pad from retracting which causes more heating making it worse.

also, make sure the guide pins and sliding surfaces are clean and greased and move freely

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if the fluid is that bad, its highly possible when the tech did the brakes, he most likely just forced the caliper pistons back in. When that happen, junk got into the abs module and other valves in the system. Somewhere, its causing a blockage of fluid returning after pressing the brakes.

first thing id start with is a flush. it might be best to get a tech2 and hook it up to the truck so you can flush the abs module as well. something is in there and it needs to be cleaned out.

start with the farthest way brake line, then go to the next closest and so on as you bleed. those trucks are: RR first, LR, RF, LF last.

SemperFiDawg

Jul 21, 2022
Appreciate the responses. It will be tomorrow before I can get to it. I think based on what is being posted that I'm gonna start with a flush of the system front to back and see if that fixes it. If not I will then install a new brake proportioning valve. Anyone care to tell me where to find it. It seems I saw a diagram somewhere that it's under the truck mounted on the frame back somewhere around where the bed of the truck begins, but my old memory is kinda shoddy so any help would give me a head start.

mopar3

Aug 16, 2017
Is the rubber from inside the cap all swollen and no longer fit the cap? That is a sure sign of contamination with. Never really seen green brake fluid.

mopar3

Aug 16, 2017
If the cap is all swollen you should replace anything with rubber in it in the brake system. Master cylinder, flex hoses, and calipers. Flush out all hard the lines. I'm not sure if the abs unit has any rubber in it but it most likely does.

SemperFiDawg

Jul 21, 2022
This is what I've done far. I aspirated all the fluid out of the brake reservoir. It was greenish. When I got to the bottom of the reservoir there was visible water contamination in addition to what I think is carbon deposits(black granules and sediment). It was a good reminder that common sense should have told me I could have water contamination in the fluid and never know it because it sinks to the bottom of the reservoir.

I then refilled the reservoir with new fluid and began flushing each line beginning at the back right until new fluid was coming out. There was also carbon flakes in the lines and I flushed until they were out also. Afterward I drove it around town and then took it for a ride out of town braking frequently to see if I could get any calipers to stick. So far all is good. Guess time will tell. I will post more if I have any more problems. Thanks for all the input.