Ready for new tires, just bought truck

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Ok I have a 2011 Denali 3500 single wheel and am looking at some tires. I know this has probably been beat to death but I bought the truck and tires already worn so not sure how they are new. Basically I do mostly highway driving but I do some "offroad" because I race motocross, and haul a 40' fifth wheel. I want something that's semi quiet on the highway, good off road but not my major concern I just don't want to get stuck with my camper, last awhile, great in the rain. I live in south Georgia so snow don't care about. Right now I have Duratracs but they are pretty work. I was looking at Duratrac, Nitto Ridge Grappler, and Toyo open country AT2. From what I have read so far I probably will go with the Nitto but want your guys opinions. The only experience I have is LMM with Michelin LTX AT2 they seem good but would like more aggressive, and my work out Duratracs now.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
My friend like his ridge grapplers so far but he's not put a whole lot of miles on them. Duratracs wear good and go pretty decent. Never ran toyos.

I'm running cooper stt pros, and now I remember why I was running an all terrain, I can't hear myself think over the howling, but I let the tires get pretty cupped in the front.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Unless you just have to have cool looking "mall crawler" tires, the Toyo OC H-Ts will provide excellent all-around service. http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Toyo/Open+Country+H-T+Tuff+Duty

Quiet, decent traction and great tread wear. Pulling a 5th wheel will grind up drive tires real fast, I just put over 13K miles pulling a heavy 5th wheel cross country and Toyos are only showing minimal wear after 3+ years. I also make a lot of 300 mile-2000 mile trips all summer. I have two sets of Toyos mounted on H2 wheels, one set of H-Ts for summer towing and one set of A/t IIs for winter and switch back and forth for summer and winter. You didn't say whether you have 4 wheel drive or not, that could make a difference in tire selection.

c5fourj

Occasionally moving quick
Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
Nitto terra grappler G2
Absolutely amazing. Quite, smooth, great mileage, and have a very mild tread pattern for offroading.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have been very happy with the Nitto Terra Grapplers I have put on my truck. The first set went 48k miles, and I have about 35k on the current set which appears to be on track to get as many miles as the first set.

dunnc1991

May 27, 2015
Winchester, VA
I really like the Cooper AT3's I put on a little while back. They don't look as good as my dura tracs did, but they work really well and are a lot quieter.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I've also had good luck with Nitto Terra grapplers, but I'm also happy with the Hankook RF10 I decided to run this time.

My brother put Nitto Ridge grapplers on his 2015 Chevy and I like them too. Not overly loud, and he still has the stock exhaust. But FWIW those duratracs will serve you well.

BrandonLLY

Apr 23, 2014
Terra grappler G2, good on and off the road. Have 30K on mine and still 1/2 tread. Im good about the rotations.

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Ok thanks for the advice guys and I have been doing a lot of research. I think I'm going to go with the Ridge Grappler just trying to decide on the size. Either the LT295/70R18 because of the greater weight load rating or the LT275/70R18 due to the lighter weight. You think the 295 would make a huge difference in weight and mpg? I'm only considering the bigger tire cause of my fifth wheel camper. Most likely though I'm going to go with the 275 size.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I'm just getting some 295/55/20 Ridge grapplers put on right now.. They said they was 12 ply tire so guess that's a good thing.. I hope I like them, seem to look pretty good..

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Just put on my ridge grappler and they feel so smooth and so quiet. Had duratrac on there with 75,000 miles. They were pretty worn by 75k is Damn good

rodbuilder

Aug 16, 2016
Ok I have a 2011 Denali 3500 single wheel and am looking at some tires. I know this has probably been beat to death but I bought the truck and tires already worn so not sure how they are new. Basically I do mostly highway driving but I do some "offroad" because I race motocross, and haul a 40' fifth wheel. I want something that's semi quiet on the highway, good off road but not my major concern I just don't want to get stuck with my camper, last awhile, great in the rain. I live in south Georgia so snow don't care about. Right now I have Duratracs but they are pretty work. I was looking at Duratrac, Nitto Ridge Grappler, and Toyo open country AT2. From what I have read so far I probably will go with the Nitto but want your guys opinions. The only experience I have is LMM with Michelin LTX AT2 they seem good but would like more aggressive, and my work out Duratracs now.

I did a 5 year tire test with my big, heavy 2000 Dodge 4x4, that I pull a 22 1/2 foot, 4500 pound trailer with, and the best tires I found were the Cooper AT3's. Hands-down better life than the Firestone Destination or Michelin MTX, that never saw the 20,000 mile mark.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I got Falken AT3w's for my LMM. Put them on early dec. have 7-8k miles on em through rain, snow, ice, dry. Wicked quiet,good grip and good look.

Best tires ive owned, no BS. Price is tough to beat as well. Paid about $700 for all 4 from dtd

NavyCTRC

Sep 8, 2016
FL
I know some of you guys have had them with good results, but my current set of Toyo AT's are hands down the WORST tires I have ever had in my life, I am pushing 50 and have had dozens of tires on various vehicles. They would never balance correctly even after having them road force balanced about 10 times, after 30K they look like crap. I am currently shopping for new tires, and I think the Cooper AT3's are the way to go. Comparable to the expensive stuff and just as good, time will tell. Anyone else with Coopers?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
.......and hardly any tread depth!!! No thanks.

I just checked the tread depth on the Terra Grappler G2 compared to the A/T3. In a 285/55R20 (the size I run), they are both listed at 16/32" tread depth. I'm not sure what your complaint is.