Re-Setting TAP cells

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Is EFI better than using a predator? I am just asking ahead b/c I forgot I had a predator sittin on top of my desk that I was trying to sell at one time. I know it is supposed to reset the cells but does it truely do it?

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
you can read and reset codes with the V2 also without hooking to a computer while going down the road, you just get the code number though. You can clear the code though. Now I wouldn't want to just throw it under the seat though.

This is off-topic, but I can also read and clear codes with the Scan Gauges in my overhead console.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I don't believe the Preadtor can reset tap cells at least when I had mine it wouldn't. The Predator is a decent real time ECM data reader and code re-set and reading tool if you have nothing else.

It also stores a copy of your stock calibration.Can come in handy.

There is no fast learn on a 01 TCM but you need to reset the values one by one and put into fast learn or clear all if I recall.

I use my Tech II.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
There is no fast learn on a 01 TCM but you need to reset the values one by one and put into fast learn or clear all if I recall.

Thanks Mackin. Are you talking about doing this with EFI? Can you or anyone give some small detailed info on how to do this through EFI? I thought it was a simple "reset tap cells" button!

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
i have done a fast learn and a reset tap cells with tech 2 and efi live. the tech 2 is the only thing that does it as far as i am concerned. the efi did not feal anywhere near as funky after. i have done both a bunch of times.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
i have done a fast learn and a reset tap cells with tech 2 and efi live. the tech 2 is the only thing that does it as far as i am concerned. the efi did not feal anywhere near as funky after. i have done both a bunch of times.

I prefer Allison DOC

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
I still cannot figure out how to reset them with efi. Do you use Scan tool or tuning tool?
I was able to lock my TCM to my cable but then when I try to upload a TCM tune or anything (either partial or full flash) it tells me that my TCM is locked. WTF?

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
When you download a tune, even an ecm tune, up in the left corner is a box that says "Tap".........Click on this box before downloading a tune, doesnt matter if its a partial or full flash.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
D120-D127
D130-D137
Tap Preset Tables. Are these the tables that are put into the tranny when you do a TAP reset? How come my presets are different from some of the other 01 TCM files floating around? Is there an ideal number for each preset to be at for better learning?
:confused::confused::confused:

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
I'll check on it this afternoon, maybe I'm totally wrong?
I found the TAPS tab when you load a tune and found where to reset the taps. I feel like a dumbazz for not finding that sooner. Thanks guys, I could tell that it did reset the shifting.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
I dont know what I was thinking.....I went and looked through everything on the Predator and I could not find that option either. I dont know where I had heard that it would reset taps---maybe I just "misremembered" what device did what. I'm sorry!
The reset TAPS button that I found was on the Tune tool. When you start to load a tune and you choose your controller type it is on a seperate tab on the top left of that box to get you to the TAPS option.
Sorry for misleading you on the Predator, once again, I dont know what I was thinking. :banghead: