Quiet today

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
exactly. then add in that silicones basically only have a 1 year shelf life and other issues and here we are lol
if I had a nickel for everyone I talked to that didn't know that they expire... "really? how do you know that it's expired?" me- "the dates printed right on the tube. it says right here: best by xxx date. your three years expired". them-"that's weird. when did they start doing that? wasn't on any of my other tubes" me- banging head against the wall

I've even argued this with a kitchen cabinet and countertop installer. the owner was called out because all of his silicone caulking was failing, turning yellow, etc. he tried to tell me he must have gotten a bad batch. I had to tell him that all of his crew where using one year expired silicone. he tried to tell me silicone doesn't expire. expensive mistake for him as it was at our hotel and he had to redo all the the kitchens and bathrooms in every room. even after showing him the date on the tube he didn't believe me. and this guy did this for a living. crazy

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if I had a nickel for everyone I talked to that didn't know that they expire... "really? how do you know that it's expired?" me- "the dates printed right on the tube. it says right here: best by xxx date. your three years expired". them-"that's weird. when did they start doing that? wasn't on any of my other tubes" me- banging head against the wall

I've even argued this with a kitchen cabinet and countertop installer. the owner was called out because all of his silicone caulking was failing, turning yellow, etc. he tried to tell me he must have gotten a bad batch. I had to tell him that all of his crew where using one year expired silicone. he tried to tell me silicone doesn't expire. expensive mistake for him as it was at our hotel and he had to redo all the the kitchens and bathrooms in every room. even after showing him the date on the tube he didn't believe me. and this guy did this for a living. crazy
there are sooooo many of these kinds of guys out there its ridiculous...

on a side note, ive found unopen cartridges of our stuff from 15 years ago that actually test just fine. couldnt believe it.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
there are sooooo many of these kinds of guys out there its ridiculous...

on a side note, ive found unopen cartridges of our stuff from 15 years ago that actually test just fine. couldnt believe it.
silicone or Acrylic? I can maybe see Acrylic in the right environment but silicone would be amazing if it lasted that long

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
No, all acrylic lol. We don’t produce silicone. Have friends in the industry that produce it for us and we send them acrylic

Reactions: 2004LB7

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
🤔😇🤫

Yes, it has been quite quiet around here the past couple days. People don't mod Dmaxes like they used to.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
did I really miss spell the title? didn't even notice. wouldn't be the first time 😅
Yep, you did. "Quiet" was "Quite".
Nope, not the first time someone misspelled a title.

It drives me a bit nuts to read, thats why I edit them. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 2004LB7

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
d05eba03589454df5bff51bd49777e37.jpg

So I borrowed my buddies water truck so we could get this damn pad of mine done for the shop (that’s been an endeavor). Sweet paint job to blend in with his cows, 91 autocar, cummins and Eaton 8LL. I have never driven a HD truck stick before but have ALWAYS wanted to. Not new to driving stick by any means but I know this is a different kind of shifting.

I’ve always kinda known about slip shifting the trans for up shifting and double clutch or rev match for down shifting. Sounds easy in practice accept the tack down work and my foot and arm ain’t coordinated lmao. Little bit of trial and error on the drive road (all dirt roads and no traffic. Sometimes it’s nice being in the boonies) but all it made me want to do was drive it more!

Damn I love driving stick

Reactions: Dozerboy

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I used to drive an International DT466E Flatbed truck a bunch of times at a previous job. didn't drive it enough to learn to slip shift but learned how to rev match for down shifting. wasn't great at it but was able to do it sufficiently. always fun

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
d05eba03589454df5bff51bd49777e37.jpg

So I borrowed my buddies water truck so we could get this damn pad of mine done for the shop (that’s been an endeavor). Sweet paint job to blend in with his cows, 91 autocar, cummins and Eaton 8LL. I have never driven a HD truck stick before but have ALWAYS wanted to. Not new to driving stick by any means but I know this is a different kind of shifting.

I’ve always kinda known about slip shifting the trans for up shifting and double clutch or rev match for down shifting. Sounds easy in practice accept the tack down work and my foot and arm ain’t coordinated lmao. Little bit of trial and error on the drive road (all dirt roads and no traffic. Sometimes it’s nice being in the boonies) but all it made me want to do was drive it more!

Damn I love driving stick

After all the years of driving semis. I can't drive any manual transmission without driving them like that. I was sitting there reading your post thinking isn't that how you normally drive a manual....lol

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
After all the years of driving semis. I can't drive any manual transmission without driving them like that. I was sitting there reading your post thinking isn't that how you normally drive a manual....lol
:ROFLMAO: ive never driven a syncroed trans that way. All ive driven is a sycro or dog box style trans. A dog box works kinda the same, under power, you just let off momentarily and slam the shifter into gear and power back on right away. Still have to use the clutch for down shifts.

what added to the fun was no tach or speedo. after i slowed my roll on trying to get it into gear right away, i figured out id just run her till rpm limiter, then click out, gentle push in to the next gear and it would roll right in. downshifting was kinda the same, let it lug, then spin the engine up to limiter and let the shifter drop in. it was usually pretty close lmao

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
what added to the fun was no tach or speedo. after i slowed my roll on trying to get it into gear right away, i figured out id just run her till rpm limiter, then click out, gentle push in to the next gear and it would roll right in. downshifting was kinda the same, let it lug, then spin the engine up to limiter and let the shifter drop in. it was usually pretty close lmao

That's pretty much how you drive those older trucks. Newer ones you shift at low RPMs because they are high TQ engines. I love my 18 speeds. You just shift every 200 RPM's up and down. You always have the right gear. No lugging. The automatic truck are even pretty good now days. The trans upshifts and downshifts so good I made it 20 miles across town before I realized that didn't have any brakes, because I hadn't had to use them. When we got our new automatic truck I raced him and with me having 60hp more he walked me bad empty. Loaded would be a different story.