Question about "towing mode" w/Allison trans.

AgmansDuramax

Diesel Fanatic!
Feb 13, 2014
Missouri
Unfortunately I did not get an owners manual with my 02 2500 HD 4x4, with the Dmax and Allison trans, so I was hoping someone could tell me how to use the push button "tow mode" on the gear shifter lever??? I will be towing a 16' gooseneck on occasion, and would like to know how that works, and when/how to use it? In other words, do I just use it for going down hills, up hills, both, do I just leave it on when ever I have the trailer attached, or what? Thank you kindly for your time, and expertise, I really appreciate the help!

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
All tow haul does is raise the shift points and locks the torque converter in 2nd gear.

Whether or not you use it really depends on how heavy the load is you are hauling.

Just play with it when you are towing and see what you like.

AgmansDuramax

Diesel Fanatic!
Feb 13, 2014
Missouri
All tow haul does is raise the shift points and locks the torque converter in 2nd gear.

Whether or not you use it really depends on how heavy the load is you are hauling.

Just play with it when you are towing and see what you like.

Thanks greatly for the input, so I can't do any "damage" by operating it wrong somehow? I had heard through the grapevine that it was supposed to be used to help with stopping, or going down steep inclines (almost like a jake brake, but that didn't seem right to me), I don't believe everything I hear, or read, so I wanted to make sure before I messed something up. I didn't know at all that it affected/worked off the shifting, or torque converter, so I really appreciate the info, thanks again!

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
Using tow haul will also keep the trans temps down. The torque converter stays locked most of the time and you'll get less up and down shifting.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
GM recommends using Tow/Haul mode any time GCVW is over 10,000 lbs. However, I usually don't turn it on until about 15-18,000 lbs because it shifts higher than I like/need it to. I do use it on hills all the time, towing or not.

It will use grade braking on hills to help slow you down. The engine may periodically go into the dashed "red zone" printed on your 2002. THIS IS NORMAL. Don't freak out, it won't be damaged. Because so many people freaked out, they stopped printing the red zone in 2006.

And yes, tow/haul helps keep trans temperatures down (due to locking the torque converter earlier). However, I've never had temps be an issue. Running tow/haul constantly won't hurt anything except your fuel mileage.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Thanks greatly for the input, so I can't do any "damage" by operating it wrong somehow? I had heard through the grapevine that it was supposed to be used to help with stopping, or going down steep inclines (almost like a jake brake, but that didn't seem right to me), I don't believe everything I hear, or read, so I wanted to make sure before I messed something up. I didn't know at all that it affected/worked off the shifting, or torque converter, so I really appreciate the info, thanks again!

You won't hurt anything.

Tow haul does slow the truck down faster by using engine braking.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'm not a huge fan of the raised shift points, I do routinely kick it out of tow/haul at 55 to let it drop into 5th, but I do like the fact that it keeps the engine in it's powerband so the power is always right there which keeps it feeling lively even when towing.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I'm not a huge fan of the raised shift points, I do routinely kick it out of tow/haul at 55 to let it drop into 5th, but I do like the fact that it keeps the engine in it's powerband so the power is always right there which keeps it feeling lively even when towing.

This. I like the TC always being locked and having an s472, the raised shift points kinda help with daily driving.

I would like a tune that locks the TC in 2nd with no raised shift points.

AgmansDuramax

Diesel Fanatic!
Feb 13, 2014
Missouri
Thanks for all the great info, I really appreciate all the input, precise detail, and willingness to help, you all are a tower of knowledge, thanks for helping me out!
Jeff

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
One more thing...don't be surprised if a couple of the shifts are a little on the hard side...it's just the tranny learning.