Quality loom and electrical tape

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The lly engine harness I have needs some attention in relooming and taping. Where can I get some stuff that is close to or better than factory looming and tape?

DURAMAXD219

It's all pink
Dec 5, 2013
Arizona
James, I have a bunch (like a ton) of loom, I'm assuming it's around 1-1.5" loom so it's decent size. If you want you can have it!

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
Make sure you use the hi temp loom, I found out the hard way that all wire loom is not equal. Also, try to use the non-adhesive tape, the adhesive backed stuff gets all gummy, slides around and makes a mess if you ever have to unwrap it to add wires or fix problems. http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ng/part-type/convoluted-tubing-and-wire-looms

A good way to be able to get tape off is to put the first layer on upside down( sticky side up) half lap one layer like that and flip it over and half lap a layer sticky side down. You will most likely have to cut the tape off but it leaves the wires clean.

Use Scotch super 33 or super 88.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
X3 on the Braided sleeving wire loom!!!
After using the corrugated and braided loom I would use the braided hands down!! I replaced injectors on an LB7 a few months ago and had to re-loom the engine harness b/c it was so bad. I used the high temp braided loom; it turned out good, looked great, and so far has held up great.

Braided Loom

Yellowchevy

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks guys! the braided stuff was what i was thinking of using. that damn corrugated never seems to last in the heat out here but i didnt know if there was some higher grade stuff.

So what tape does the factory use? ive never seen it get gummy and nasty, specially with our heat out here. i really want to use something that wont do that.

James, I have a bunch (like a ton) of loom, I'm assuming it's around 1-1.5" loom so it's decent size. If you want you can have it!

Thanks dylan! is it the corrugated stuff or the braided? i think im going to get a bunch of the braided stuff once i figure out sizes i need, that is assuming i can make it fit over some of the harness where the are a bunch of wires branching off.

Al's max

Jul 29, 2014
Texas
I have used Power Phase wire loom from fastenal for several years now. Haven't had any crumbling so far. Pretty sure it's rated for 300 degrees.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I do harnesses every day for a living, this is what I use:

USA-made automotive-rated Nylon split loom tubing.

triple-wall adhesive lined heat-shrink

Tesa 51006
Tesa 51026
3M Super 33+
3M Super 88
Certoplast 525SE

The braided loom is OK, but its a pain to install and fit over connectors and stuff. Also, its not as durable as the split loom tubing. If you use good quality Nylon split loom, it wont break down and fall apart. Polypropylene and polyethylene split loom tubing is shit, stay away from it. Most of the time when you buy split loom tubing from auto parts stores and whatnot, its poly...so make sure you specifically get Nylon and check its temp rating.

Braided loom is also kinda a pain to keep from unraveling. You get one area chaffed a bit, and the whole thing starts to fall apart. I havent found any braided stuff that is rated for the same temps and abrasion and durability as the nylon split loom. Yeah, you can get the insulated fireproof braided stuff, but its way too expensive. Thats why personally I only use the corrugated split-loom.

James, I can throw some tape and loom in with your harness when I ship it back. Should have it on the way back to you monday or tuesday. :thumb:

Ben

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I would very much appreciate that ben! Thank you!

I have to fix a bunch on that LBZ as well. If you end up needing more, we could go halfsies on a bulk box. I probably need a little .250 and .500 to fix everything here. Pretty much all the SLT is crumbled, but the main harness tape is looking good.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have to fix a bunch on that LBZ as well. If you end up needing more, we could go halfsies on a bulk box. I probably need a little .250 and .500 to fix everything here. Pretty much all the SLT is crumbled, but the main harness tape is looking good.

works for me buddy! ill shoot ya a text once im finishing mine up. you can always bring it over to my place and work on it here with me. you can meet little brooklyn finally too :hug: :D. ill just text ya when im working on it.

Anders

Feb 3, 2024
Wyo
@duratothemax do you provide a relooming service? I'm located in SE Wyoming and my LLY harness could use some attention. I would be happy to enlist your services or if you could point me in the right direction, that would be great.