Allison 6sp: Putting 6 speed into 5 speed lly

lyncher

May 1, 2014
Winthrop, Me
Hey guys I recently purchased a bone stock 04 lly and I have a built 6 speed out an 06 Lbz. I was wondering if I could pull the valve body out of the 5 speed and put it in the 6 speed essentially turning it into a 5 speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
You'll need to put a Jr in your 5 speed valve body, and swap shift shafts as the 6 speed uses the internal mode switch, and the lly 5 speed uses the external single plug nsbu.

lyncher

May 1, 2014
Winthrop, Me
Just ordered a transgo jr. Do I need to replace the whole shaft or just the nsbu switch or both shaft and switch?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Both the shaft and switch. The 6 speed shaft doesn't have the collar for the external nsbu iirc, and you have to remove the shaft to get the ims out.

lyncher

May 1, 2014
Winthrop, Me
Ok perfect. Thank you for the information. You definitely saved me hours of confusion and frustration.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
The shift shaft may not be different. Before you go about removing it, check to see if a nsbu will fit as is. The shaft on the 6-speed in my truck definitely did fit the nsbu on there when i had a 5-speed vb in it, and I do not recall changing it. And leaving the ims in there not connected won't hurt anything.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk